Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I bought A Mighty Wind today as well! I went to Hastings this morning armed with a b'day gift certificate and also picked up Steve Earle's new double-disc live album, Just An American Boy. I haven't seen A Mighty Wind yet, but had no reservations at all about buying it, and I have to say that I really like JAAB. Steve Earle is in fine, fine form and there are some great rants on there as well. Now I'm really looking forward to the accompanying documentary when it is released next month.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Out of the Dylan reissues I got Street-Legal and Nashville Skyline, which will both be new to me. Also picked up Dexys latest Best Of album, which includes two new tracks. Finally I got a 'Deluxe Edition' of Joe Jackson's brilliant Night and Day which is similar to EC's reissues in that it contains a bonus disc of demos and live tracks etc. However I have been reaquinting myself with the album as it is some time since I have heard it (own it on vinyl, but haven't had a record deck for 6 years (shame on me!)), and what a brilliant record it is, highly recommended to anyone who doesn't have it.
signed with love and vicious kisses
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

HS-- thanks for that Marshall C. info. I was a huge fan of his between '84 & '87. He was doing WALK AWAY RENEE live a lot then, too, and always a shoutout to his muse, Buddy Holly. He's a great singer songwriter, and was always genial and really funny onstage. I for one had no trouble looking at him, either...! I kinda lost track of him after DOWNTOWN, which was maybe my fave of his, even with all the older classics.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

While picking up North last night, I got distracted and also bought:

The Brian Jonestown Massacre- Spacegirl and other Favorites
Beulah- Yoko
British Sea Power- The Decline and Fall of British Sea Power
The Decemberists- Her Majesty the Decemberists

And then something truly momentous happened, something not seen since the purchase of the Faint's Blank-Wave Arcade in the fall of 2000--the cashier complimented me on my purchases. I feel like I've truly arrived.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

arrived in last night's mail:

North
Get Happy
Trust

i've heard some parts of North (last night's sleepy-time music) and all of the first disc of Trust (today's gotta work music).

happy.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

British Sea Power- The Decline and Fall of British Sea Power
Excellent choice, Miss BA, one of the years best ,imo. I look forward to seeing them next month, since they are being good enough to play a gig here in Dublin.
miss buenos aires

And now martinfoyle, as well! I'm really on a roll!

It's very rare that I decide I like a band based on the strength of their live show, without having heard the album, but that's what happened to me with British Sea Power. About a year and a half ago, they were first on a bill that included the Faint, Clinic, and those Trail of Dead people. I liked them so much that I basically engraved their name on the inside of my skull so I'd remember it.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

miss buenos aires wrote:I basically engraved their name on the inside of my skull so I'd remember it.
Is that painful, or an expensive process? I fear my memory is starting to go, and this might prove useful.

What were we talking about?

Where am I?
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
miss buenos aires

HungupStrungup wrote:Is that painful, or an expensive process? I fear my memory is starting to go, and this might prove useful.
Oh, worth every penny. The only drawback is that the inside of the skull is exceedingly hard to get a good look at; the inside of my eyelids might have been more convenient.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The Pine Valley Cosmonauts- The Executioner's Last Songs Vol 1-3
Jimmie Dale Gilmore - Braver New World

As MBA might say, huzzah!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

A Soul Tribute to the Beatles - Various Artists
Super Hits Volume 2 - Johnny Cash
Complete Candid Recordings - Charles Mingus
Masked and Anonymous Sdtk.
Shake Hands with Shorty - North Mississippi All-Stars
I'm With Stupid - Aimee Mann
Music Box - Monkees
EMI box - Eddie Cochran
Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age
Complete Buddy Holly
A Mighty Wind Sdtk.
Nothing Can Stop Me - Gene Chandler
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

Bowie/Reality
It's a living, this is the life.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Jimmie Dale Gilmore - Braver New World
Great Tbone Burnett production, brilliant album, thanks for reminding me, must dig it out.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I picked up a 3CD set of Rod Stewart. Reason To Believe: The Complete Mercury Studio Recordings.

I used to scared whenever someone mentioned the name Rod Stewart, but after hearing The Faces and Jeff Beck Group I realized that Rod was once a great force.

Say what you will about Rod and what he has become, but once upon a time he was a great, rootsy, rock 'n' roll singer. Along with some excellent original material "Every Picture Tells A Story", "You Wear It Well", etc, his covers are also excellent. I particularly love his take of Dylan's "Tomorrow Is A Long Time."

His work from 1969 to 1974 makes music lovers kind of wish he died after that and didn't put out the horrible music he has tortured us with in the late 70's, 80's, 90's, and beyond. But I know that with this 3CD package, along with the stuff he did with The Faces, and Jeff Beck Group, I will not be disappointed.
miss buenos aires

BlueChair wrote:But I know that with this 3CD package, along with the stuff he did with The Faces, and Jeff Beck Group, I will not be disappointed.
You sound as though you're trying to convince yourself.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not trying to convince myself. I'm trying to prove that I'm not a lame-o for buying a Rod Stewart CD set. :D
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Do ya think it's sexy?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I've been to the HMV sale and picked up The River (Brooce) to replace my vinyl and How The West Was Won (Led Zep).

25 minutes of Dazed abd Confused
My Ears feel battered, bruised and abused
25 minutes of fused and Condazed
If my brain isn't damaged I'd be amazed
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I don't know chair. A couple of years ago, after hearing a Faces song Rushmore, I picked up a 'best of" collection and was pretty disappointed.... I had an open mind (even after having lived through the late 70's and 80's).

Tell us what you think.

I picked up the new Zevon - and while I like it, it just seems too eerie.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I just wanted to lend my support to Blue during such a troubled time of doubt! Rod Stewart really did make some damn good music before he morphed into "Rod Stewart" and became Exhibit A in what happens when you sell out and then live long enough to want your respectability back. His first four solo albums were all good and he always had a great rock voice. He could shake it off and do another Every Picture Tells A Story of Gasoline Alley, but I don't know if he wants to work that hard. Can't blame him, he's got the cash, but he really does have the talent to be great.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

David Bowie Reality. Oh my goodness, I adore this record. Otis, I will be posting your review and mine in the next couple of days. Wow.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Ah, news from Noise! Exciting indication of appreciation of Reality. I've tried posting my humungous assessment in one post several times over, and given up. Thanks in advance if you can! Better even than Heathen?

I am having psychological trouble, though, I want to give myself and my attention to either North or Reality totally, and I can't. So I'm going schizoid. Reality around the house and North in bed is the best compromise, though.
Pov

Post by Pov »

El Vez wrote:I just wanted to lend my support to Blue during such a troubled time of doubt! Rod Stewart really did make some damn good music before he morphed into "Rod Stewart" and became Exhibit A in what happens when you sell out and then live long enough to want your respectability back. His first four solo albums were all good and he always had a great rock voice. He could shake it off and do another Every Picture Tells A Story of Gasoline Alley, but I don't know if he wants to work that hard. Can't blame him, he's got the cash, but he really does have the talent to be great.
Every Picture Tells a Story is one of the greatest records of all time.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Just picked up 'London 0 Hull 4' and 'The People who Grinned Themselves to Death' by the Housemartins to replace my worn out cassettes.....

Where did it all go wrong for Paul Heaton?? :( :(
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Jackson Monk wrote:Just picked up 'London 0 Hull 4' .... by the Housemartins ....(
oooh, i have this on CD. mmmmm. housemartins. very nice. beautiful south too, but i lost those in the divorce. (grrrrr.)

should get more, but funds are lacking.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....