Elvis and Imposters play Ryman, Nashville on April 23, 2008

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and Imposters play Ryman, Nashville on April 23, 2008

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.news2wkrn.com/mctv/2008/02/0 ... -in-april/

Elvis Costello to play the Ryman in April

You loved him at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center last year.
And British rocker Elvis Costello must love Nashville — he’s coming back to play this year.
To be specific, Elvis plays the Ryman with his band, The Imposters, at 7:30 p.m. April 23.
Tix are $49.50, $42.50 and $32.50, and they go on sale at 10 a.m. Feb. 16.
You can get ‘em through Ticketmaster outlets.

http://www.ryman.com/
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1B004 ... orcatid=60
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
mood swung

Re: Elvis and Imposters play Ryman, Nashville on April 23, 2008

Post by mood swung »

Ahem.

Not to quote myself or anything, but I did just say to another board member that EC needed to tour.

With a rock and roll band.

I hope that this is the kick off of an awesome tour that will be coming to a small theater near me. If not, GWB has promised me a tax rebate.

Let's rock, peeps!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'd like to see Elvis tour in the UK full stop instead of the one offs we only seem to get.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Tickets are now on sale for the Ryman and Tabernacle shows - if you click on [Buy Tickets] there is another show listed, 4/22 in Memphis.

http://www.elviscostello.com/events.aspx

Let's hope he goes for the Tennessee Trifecta and a TN Theatre show pops up as well!
jmm

Post by jmm »

Looks like the warm up shows for the New Oreleans Jazz fest date to me!!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
migdd

Post by migdd »

jmm wrote:Looks like the warm up shows for the New Oreleans Jazz fest date to me!!
Yep, and for the Police tour, as well. If we make it to the Tabernacle show, I hope they "warm up" for a good 3+ hours!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

well, it's not when I thought it would be...

http://tennesseetheatre.com/default.asp ... ventID=542

come on, you knoxville fans!!!!

(and the Buy Tix is not actually working tonight... but who wants to go??? Oily, you out there? Goody2, I'm counting on youuuuuu, c'mon you spookys, and various and sundry - I KNOW you're out there)
migdd

Post by migdd »

We'll be attending the Tabernacle show in Atlanta since it is the closest to us. It'll be interesting to compare the three Southeast "warm-up" shows. Anybody going to the Memphis show?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Carlene Carter is doing support on the Memphis and Tennessee shows -

http://www.carlenecarter.net/calendar.html

She's doing good these days -

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/d/ar ... s_Stronger
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Well, boogers. Looks like she won't be at Knoxville.

Way back when, when cosmos and I saw NL in Nashville, I believe she sat next to us. Came in with a Bud Light and a good looking guy. Very cute lady, very personable.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'm disappointed as well that CC isn't an appearance at the Atlanta gig.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Grimey's Says Record Store Day + Elvis = Awesome!

Most of my time this week will be devoted to bringing your attention
to our Record Store Day Festival and Sale this Saturday, but I just
HAVE to start with this special announcement...

ELVIS COSTELLO Will Meet Fans and Sign Copies of his new MOMOFUKU
vinyl LP (which includes a download of the album) here at Grimey's on
Thursday, April 24th from 12-noon until 1:30pm, the day after his show
at The Ryman.
That's right, Elvis Costello will be here to meet you.
I'll lay out more details in next week's newsletter or you can just
ask us about it this Saturday at Record Store Day!

This is one of the most informative newsletters around. They list
every release for the week with a little capsule (and on-point)
description of each artist/album. Sometimes it's pulled from another
source, but often it's Doyle doing it himself. If you have a hard time
keeping up with new groups (especially if they're fairly obscure),
it's a good way to get a thumbnail sketch of an artist. He also lists
reissues, vinyl and DVDs and appearances on TV.

Here's the link to Grimey's if you're interested in signing up for the
weekly newsletter. It's a great informational one-stop.

http://www.grimeys.com/
sexysadie7

Post by sexysadie7 »

johnfoyle wrote:Grimey's Says Record Store Day + Elvis = Awesome!

Most of my time this week will be devoted to bringing your attention
to our Record Store Day Festival and Sale this Saturday, but I just
HAVE to start with this special announcement...

ELVIS COSTELLO Will Meet Fans and Sign Copies of his new MOMOFUKU
vinyl LP (which includes a download of the album) here at Grimey's on
Thursday, April 24th from 12-noon until 1:30pm, the day after his show
at The Ryman.
That's right, Elvis Costello will be here to meet you.
I'll lay out more details in next week's newsletter or you can just
ask us about it this Saturday at Record Store Day!

This is one of the most informative newsletters around. They list
every release for the week with a little capsule (and on-point)
description of each artist/album. Sometimes it's pulled from another
source, but often it's Doyle doing it himself. If you have a hard time
keeping up with new groups (especially if they're fairly obscure),
it's a good way to get a thumbnail sketch of an artist. He also lists
reissues, vinyl and DVDs and appearances on TV.

Here's the link to Grimey's if you're interested in signing up for the
weekly newsletter. It's a great informational one-stop.

http://www.grimeys.com/
my favorite record store anywhere HANDS DOWN! great selection and a knowledgeable but unpretentious staff. even if you can't make the instore, if you are ever in nashville, it is worth the time. (and you'd better give yourself some time...they have a great used and vinyl selection!)
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Meet Elvis Costello This Thurs. 4/24!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm still cranking away on this week's newsletter, y'all. I won't get it to your
inbox until Wednesday this week so I wanted to send you a reminder about our incredible
in-store appearance by ELVIS COSTELLO this Thursday, April 24th at noon.

The day after his show at The Ryman, Elvis Costello will make an appearance at Grimey's
New & Preloved Music to sign copies of his brand new vinyl release Momofuko,
out today on glorious double gatefold vinyl with a download coupon included.
momofuki

Momofuku was recorded quickly over 6 days with his long-time band The Imposters. Elvis was inspired by work he and a couple of Imposters did on Jenny Lewis's upcoming
2nd solo record and Lewis also contributes to Momofuku. The record is as inspired
as Elvis leads us to believe and long-time fans will be elated. The title is a
a tribute to Momofuku Ando, the inventor of the Cup Noodle. Costello adds, "Like
so many things in this world of wonders, all we had to do to make this record was
add water."

Don't miss this opportunity to meet one of the most influential artists and songwriters
of our era when Elvis visits Grimey's this Thursday.

Here are the details about the in-store signing and meet and greet with Elvis Costello:
ELVIS COSTELLO will sign vinyl copies of his new album Momofuku starting at 12pm
- noon - this Thursday, April 24th. He'll be here for an hour and a half and will
have to leave at 1:30pm sharp. WE WILL NOT OPEN THE STORE UNTIL NOON. The line
will form at the front door and flow up the sidewalk on 8th Ave. So. We will open
at noon and begin letting fans in. You can purchase the LP at the register as you
come in and proceed to the counter where Elvis will sign your record and chat with
you for a minute. NO PHOTOS WILL BE ALLOWED and Elvis will ONLY SIGN COPIES OF
MOMOFUKU. I'm sorry about these restrictions but when a bonafide legend offers
to hang out at your record store and meet your customers, you do as he asks. We
want to meet Elvis too!!!

This should really be fun, y'all. Please do what you can to make it down for this
unique opportunity and big thanks to Elvis for supporting indie record shops and
for keeping the vinyl resurgence going strong. A CD version of the album will
be released on May 6th.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doyle Davis
Co-Owner / Vinylist
Grimey's New & Preloved Music
1604 8th Ave. So.
Nashville, TN 37203
615-254-4801
www.grimeys.com
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I must say, I have been so out of it that I just noticed he was playing the Ryman tonight. I swear to God I just noticed it.

:roll:
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

I will be going to the show tonight and will be skipping the second half of one of my classes to go see him at Grimey's.

I was talking to one of the Grimey's employees yesterday, and the store won't even open until noon on Thursday, and the line to will start at the front door. They did something similiar a couple of years ago for Cameron Crowe, but that was also an in-store. That whole ordeal went pretty well, so I don't think that it will be totally out of control on Thursday.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Dave briefly comments on listserv -

Tonight we got Clown Strike and Indoor Fireworks.

And Alison. I was hoping to go two shows without hearing it, but I'll
have to say, this was the best version I've ever heard. Very laid back
and quiet. Except for the Master of Obvious who screamed
ALLLLLLISONNNNN!!!! from about the 4th row right after the first
chords were played. No Tears of a Clown but a bit of some lyrics about
Mr. Moon.

Slight spoiler for those who might care:

He's doing the first lines from The Kids Are Alright at the end of
PLU. Don't know if he's done this in the past.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://mooninthegutter.blogspot.com/200 ... -good.html

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Elvis Costello At The Ryman (The Last Of The Good Old Fashioned Steam Powered Trains)

Posted by Jeremy Richey

Elvis Costello’s performance at Nashville’s historic Ryman Auditorium last night was one of the most powerful and strangest gigs I have ever seen…a mesmerizing high wire act that had a blazing Costello powering through a two hour plus performance of songs covering his entire career as well as pretty much his entire new album.

I’ve seen a lot of shows where artists seem almost hesitant about debuting new material but Costello dove into his fresh album last night with a ferocious confidence that I know probably left a lot of the near capacity audience stunned, but which I found positively thrilling.

I haven’t been able to get the, as of right now, vinyl exclusive Momofuku but if last night’s presentation of the songs off of it are any sign then the album will end up as one of Costello’s classics…savagely raw, subversive and sonically jam like at times, the new songs are go for the throat stunners with special note going to the furious and lengthy tracks “Turpentine” and “Go Away” as well as The Kinks “Something Else” era sounding “Harry Worth” and “Mr. Feathers”. After hearing Costello and The Imposters roar through these tracks last night, the new album is at the top of my must buy list.

The gig itself started out with a spirited and well played mostly acoustic opening set from June Carter Cash’s daughter Carlene. I’m certainly not an authority on modern country music, but Carter is clearly incredibly talented and her opening set consisting of songs from her new album as well as older tracks by herself and her family was very engaging and at times quite moving. She shared quite a few stories concerning her family and her own personal problems she has been having and she came across as a very genuine and honest person…it was a very enjoyable opening set that lasted just past the fifty minute mark.

Costello’s set and his whopping three encores was played with such a wild abandon that I am actually having trouble remembering everything he played. I am looking forward to seeing the final set list but highlights that have stuck with me were two tracks off Imperial Bedroom, “Beyond Belief” and “Man Out Of Time”, the surprising choices “Clown Strike” and “Indoor Fireworks” and an angry reading of “The River In Reverse” which was downright savage in its delivery.

Fan favorites ranging from “Pump It Up” to “Alison” to “What’s So Funny about Peace Love and Understanding” were also played to great effect and snatches of The Jam’s “In The City” and The Who’s “The Kids Are Alright” were heard as well, which made me feel like I was getting a neat listen as to what songs were rushing through Costello’s consciousness as he was pounding out this bruising set.

The highlight of the main set before the encores was a lovely reading of The Velvet Undergrounds “Femme Fatale” which garnered a standing ovation and shouts of “Lou!!!” from much of the audience. Seeing Costello perform a track by my other favorite songwriting was downright haunting and I’ll not forget it anytime soon.

The encores are where things got really intense. Joining Costello and The Imposters on stage were Farmer Dave Scher from Beachwood Sparks on Steel Guitar and California guitar players Johnathan Rice and Jonathan Wilson. These three players added an intense cosmic hippie vibe to the evening that Costello was clearly getting a kick out of and the sound this band along with The Imposters made proved absolutely massive, with “Turpentine” feeling like it was going to make The Ryman collapse in on itself. Of all of Costello’s musical influences, the ones that are most rarely mentioned are the many free form Psychedelic groups from the mid sixties to the early seventies who inspired him (Costello did after all include several Grateful Dead albums and Jefferson Airplane’s searing Crown Of Creation on his list of essential works a few years back) and seeing him on stage with these younger musicians really brought that part of him out and it was mind-blowing to watch…

I am a bit exhausted from the show (so excuse the sloppier than usual writing here) and am going on just a few hours sleep but I will include the final set list here as well as review links when they start to pop up. Of the several times I have seen Costello live, this show was the most thrilling in just how daring it was. Like The Kinks “Last Of The Steam Powered Trains” (a song that kept occurring to me as I was watching this last night), this isn’t an artist who is going run out of steam anytime soon…totally reenergized and still vital, the Elvis Costello of 2008 appears to be at his absolute peak although I wouldn’t put it past him to somehow get even better.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Well, I was going to post my impressions of the show last night at the Ryman but Mr. Richey's account hits it right on the head. I can't say this is the best show I've seen Elvis do in a while, cause I thought the Emmylou tour and the Toussaint tour were fantastic shows, but this is the best EC and the Imposters show I've seen in a while. He did EVERY song off Momofuku, and those songs, which I shrugged off on first listen, sounded better than ever live (and the LP has grown on me considerably since that first listen). Fantastic, roaring show!
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

I think that that reviewer is getting Radio Radio confused with Pump it Up, because I remember being surprised that he didn't play Pump it Up.

great show though.
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Oh, also, I went to the Grimey's signing today and it went really well. It was very organized and I even got to chat with Elvis for a minute. I got through more quickly because I had already bought the record, so I didn't have to wait in line at the sales counter.
MoonInTheGutter

Post by MoonInTheGutter »

Greetings,
Jeremy here from Moon In The Gutter. I just wanted to thank you guys for posting my link and look at the show above. I really enjoy reading this board and it was nice to see it here. Thanks also for pointing out my blunder regarding "Pump It Up" which I blame on lack of sleep and my upcoming finals. I have updated the post with a correction as well as the final set list.
I took a look at my 20 favorite EC albums just a couple of days ago if anyone would like to check that out as well.
Anyway, thanks again for the link...the Ryman show was thrilling. I look forward to being part of this great board.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Welcome to the board, Jeremy!