Elvis and Imposters play Ryman, Nashville on April 23, 2008

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis and Imposters play Ryman, Nashville on April 23, 2008

Post by johnfoyle »

http://greatmomentsmove.wordpress.com/2 ... -costello/

Posted in Life, Music by briggsa on April 25th, 2008

Elvis came to Grimey’s on Thursday.

Honestly, I felt like a 10 year old girl. I was completely nervous in the hours before his arrival, all sweaty and listless, kind of wandering the store aimlessly. When he arrived, we were ushered quickly to the side for group photos (sadly, no solo pic of Elvis and I in a bromancely embrace). During all of this, Elvis was looking around the store, making comments about the inventory. He made a great (and reverential) Prince joke, although I can’t remember what it was about. I felt like he was sort of shopping the whole time he was there, just looking around, connecting all this vast musical knowledge in his head.

We pretty quickly opened the door to let people in, so I stepped aside and helped keep the line in order. I stood about 12 feet or so away from Elvis while he talked to folks, and he was really charming, very witty, and very friendly to everyone. He told Grimey’s regular (and supreme vinyl collector) Joe Crook that he liked his Son House t-shirt, and I thought Joe’s head was going to explode. While there was a little lull in the line, Larry and I jumped over and introduced ourselves, shook his hand, and thanked him for being there, and it was pretry surreal and a little hazy, even in the moment it was happening.

When the line evaporated we closed the doors so Elvis could shop, and he spent a good 30 minutes going through the store, asking for recommendations from Doyle, and making requests. There were a few straggler customers still around, and he made some recommendations to them in passing, which was pretty much the coolest thing ever. He bought a box worth of stuff, said goodbye, and then took off in his bus.

So yeah, yesterday was one of the coolest and most surreal days ever.

Sidenote: if you haven’t heard Momofuku yet, go hear it. It benefits from a very immediate, almost tossed off vibe. Great songs played almost effortlessly from a very friendly genius with a nice hat.

Donna posts to listserv-

OK, here is my Grimey's story. I got there about noon and the line was already half a block out the door. Since my copy of Momofuku did not arrive before I left for Nashville, I had to a buy another copy to get signed. I told Elvis as he was signing that the new website seems to be a big hit that there was a lot of positive buzz around the internet and he seemed pleased by that. He said "Really? that's great." Oh yeah, it was hot and muggy standing in line and there is Elvis in his leather jacket and a black scarf with white polka dots tied around his neck and an open weave hat.

Todd wanted to look around the store, but all those gawkers were actually part time workers they brought in for crowd control and to keep anyone from remaining in the building after their album was signed. They herded us out
the back door. One of the worker's apologized for herding us like cattle and Todd asked if he was going to get a bolt in the head on the other side of the door. The kid thought that was pretty funny. So, Todd decided he wanted to come back and look around the store after signing. We came back at 1:20 pm. I did not see Elvis at the signing booth and I asked the girl at
the front if the signing was over and we could come in and shop. She said it was not quite over but we could come in. Elvis was shopping by that point.

Several of the workers were talking to him about music as he browsed. He picked up several CDs and a vinyl album, but I didn't see what he had. I was waiting for him to leave so that I could ask the cashier if I would have on the Momofuku promotional posters (she did give me one). As I started up to the counter, Paddy was there with Elvis' purchases, and I thought Elvis had left, until he came out the bathroom right next to where I was standing. Anyway, he purchased his selections (I did hear the total was $124.44) and then he and Paddy left.

Here is the funny part. The manager watches him leave and then stands on a box and shouts "Elvis has left the building" Then all the kids who were acting cool and talking Elvis about new bands and such just went crazy.
There were comments like "I can't believe it!, It was Elvis Costello! That was so cool!"

I noticed that Elvis stopped to talk to a woman on the way out. She came in and talked to the store manager. Apparently she was with his publicity company or management or something. She had set up the signing. The manager was saying how nice it was that someone of that stature would come to do the signing. The woman said that Elvis is very supportive of these types of things and what a pleasure it was to work with him. She said he is always willing to do anything we ask and he is such a gentleman; he is my favorite client. The owner said they sold 212 copies of Momofuku in that hour and a half.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Jill from listserv has photos here -

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... &ref=share

including -

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki:

01. Stella Hurt
02. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
03. Clown Strike
04. Wonder Woman
05. Either Side Of The Same Town
06. Everyday I Write The Book
07. Song With Rose
08. Accidents Will Happen
09. Harry Worth
10. Drum & Bone
11. Flutter & Wow
12. Femme Fatale - with Jim Lauderdale
13. Pardon Me, Madam, My Name Is Eve
14. The River In Reverse - including I Don't Want To Be A Soldier and Broken Promise Land
15. American Gangster Time
16. Beyond Belief
17. You Belong To Me
18. The Imposter
19. Radio, Radio - including In The City
Encore 1
20. My Three Sons
21. Indoor Fireworks
22. Man Out Of Time
Encore 3
23. No Hiding Place - with "Farmer" Dave Scher, Johnathan Rice & Jonathan Wilson
24. Turpentine - with "Farmer" Dave Scher, Johnathan Rice & Jonathan Wilson
25. Go Away - with "Farmer" Dave Scher, Johnathan Rice & Jonathan Wilson
Encore 3
26. Mr. Feathers - with "Farmer" Dave Scher, Johnathan Rice & Jonathan Wilson
27. Alison - including Mr. Moon - Elvis solo
28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - including The Kids Are Alright - with "Farmer" Dave Scher, Johnathan Rice & Jonathan Wilson
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great stuff. Thanks for the setlist and the Grimey's reviews.

Can't wait to get a copy of the show.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

burgundy breakfast

Post by burgundy breakfast »

I hope Clown Strike stays in the set for Louisville!
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

My brother was in Nashville this past weekend and had this to report regarding EC.

"When we were on the tour of Studio B there was a guy in our group from Denmark. When we were in the studio one of the techs said they still used the studio for recording, but it was mostly for amateurs like school groups etc. The tech said that some professionals have booked time, just to say they had recorded there. He specifically mentioned Elvis Costello. He said that while he recorded there, nothing has ever made it on a recording. The guy from Denmark said that he ran into EC the day before walking in Nashville. (he performed on 4/23 at the Ryman before we got there). He went up and introduced himself as a fan and told EC that his son was named Elvis and asked him if he would take a picture. He did and the guy said he talked with them for awhile and even showed him pictures of his twins. I thought I would pass that along as you always wonder if the artist is a jerk or a decent person."
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sabreman wrote:My brother was in Nashville this past weekend and had this to report regarding EC.

...He did and the guy said he talked with them for awhile and even showed him pictures of his twins. I thought I would pass that along as you always wonder if the artist is a jerk or a decent person."
I think he's a decent person. But then I'm always showing pictures of my little one to other people. But only if they show interest!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Shorefire has this:
http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pr ... ase&o=1888

Costello Live Show To Air On Beale Street Caravan Radio Show Starting This Week

Last Tuesday, April 22, Elvis Costello prepared for a major tour opening for the Police with concert in Memphis, TN, the same day his new album Momofuku was released on vinyl (Lost Highway). Momofuku will be available on CD/digital download on May 6 (more info at http://www.elviscostello.com).

The Memphis show was recorded for the syndicated radio program Beale Street Caravan, and will start airing this week on its affiliates (see http://bealestreetcaravan.com for stations and times).

The Beale Street Caravan episode, hosted by Memphis luminary Sid Selvidge, features Costello with his band the Impostors performing material from Momofuku alongside songs from his extensive catalog.

Elvis Costello and the Impostors begin a tour opening for the Police on May 1 in Ottawa, with dates in May, July and August. In June, Costello has scheduled several appearances with orchestras in the UK, including an concert in his family's home town of Liverpool on June 25.
----------------
(Several appearences with orchestras in the UK: this means more than the two we now know of??
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just seen this on a site dedicated to Dylan's radio show - no wonder Elvis is on it so much!

http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2008/05 ... son-3.html

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Eddie & Coco and News on Season 3

A very interesting email from Dreamtime listener, Richard...

[ "So I was at Amoeba Records in Hollywood last Sunday and was thumbing through the Porter Wagoner section to see if they had the new Bear Family 3 CD set of his concept albums. Guy next to me sees what I'm doing and asks if I'm looking for the Bear Family set too.

I turn to tell him I am and its Eddie G (I recognized him from the DVD with the Ricky Jay Plays Poker set). I ask him if he's Eddie G, tell him how I know him and we start talking. Very nice guy.

He introduces me to his wife, Coco [Shinomiya]. He asks me what I'm buying today (Carlene Carter and Jim Lauderdale) and shows me his stash for the day (Carlene Carter, some blues comps, some Tex-Mex, etc) .

Also tells me that he just spoke to Elvis Costello yesterday. Carlene opened for E.C. at a show in Nashville and put on, according to Elvis, a dynamite set. I tell him how much I like the Dylan show. He tells me that he's very proud of that show and that they're working now on shows for the fall. We didn't get into specifics but he says he thinks the third season will be the best yet..."

A little research indicated that Coco, who gets name-checked on the closing credits of TTRH, is indeed married to Eddie G. A "Coco Grimes Gorodetsky" wife to an "Eddie Gorodetsky" was a character in an episode of Six Feet Under, written by Scott Buck, who's a good friend of Eddie G.

So, it also does look we're waiting till the Fall for the next round of Theme Time. Scribble, scribble, scribble, please, Mr. G.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A 30 second clip on youtube (no hiding place):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBRUbuPkk88