30:10 songs

Pretty self-explanatory
Ymaginatif

30:10 songs

Post by Ymaginatif »

Isn't it rather strange that we haven't heard anybody's comment on those 30:10 songs which are finally available on the official website?
Could it be a) nobody's registering so nobody's heard them, or b) they're not really all that special - just solo renditions of the kind we've heard Elvis do seven gazillion times?

Needless to say I haven't registered with the new website. Unless they put some more worthwhile information up there I won't. I find it rather strange that artists these days convince people to pay for something which should normally be considered promo for their music. (i.e. pictures, videos, wallpapers, and journals). Is Elvis Costello really so desparate to get as much money as possible out of his fans? I can live with the re-re-re-issues, because at least they're music ...
verbal gymnastics

Re: 30:10 songs

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It's one thing to register for a newsletter but quite another to have to pay for a membership.

Welcome by the way.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I like the 30:10 demo's. I like them a lot more than the recent iTunes solo (re)recordings.
But I regret the fact that I don't actually own them. They are available to me, problably as long as I pay the membership. But I can't burn them on a CD or import them on my MP3-player.

At this moment the exclusive content for the members of the fanclub is rather limited. But I expect a lot more to follow. I can't expect nor accept that this is all we get for our 35$!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Thanks for your reply! It's positive to hear *something* about them. In what way are they better than the iTunes rerecordings? Are the very different from the original? Are they re-composed or just stripped-dwon versions? Do they have any overdubbing.
You see, I'm curious. But like a lot of people, I think, I find the membership price to high, for just listening to (and not even downloading) these few songs. :)
cwr

Post by cwr »

The 30:10 versions of "Chelsea" and "Alison" sound like the way he was performing them in concert with The Imposters last year-- the melodies and the way he sings them are really quite different from how he's ever done them before. They are more interesting than the iTunes acoustic performances, but the sound is also muddier because of the way he recorded them.

His version of "Almost Blue" is fantastic-- really, the most unusual take on the song he's done, especially since it has always stayed pretty true to the original album version.

They need to make these downloadable -- really for a 35 dollar membership, it should be automatic. Dylan's giving people a free mp3 at the moment just for filling out the FREE registration on his revamped website, the least EC could do is let us put these songs easily onto our iPods.....
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Stewy wrote:Can someone please explain just what the hell these 30:10 songs are?

I've not heard of this until now.
See: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=7179
There are 30:10 t shirts to be had on EC's official site. They were also on sale last year at his tour dates:

According to Denver Truth on his blog (below), there was a small sign next to them saying that it was 30 years since EC's first release and he had hidden ten copies of solo home recordings of re-written songs in the jewel boxes of his "Best of" collection released in Spring 2007.
http://denvertruth.blogspot.com/2007/05 ... rtant.html

According to EC's journal on the official site:

Quote:
"I don't think many people believed that "30:10" really existed but if anyone reading this has one in their possession, they had better claim their special prize right away because we will be posting the songs on this site very soon and the offer will expire…"
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... reason why people are buying less recorded noise than e.g. Wii games is that many corporates without knowledge of creative artistes - e.g. Bob Dylan next October £130 re-doings bootleg 8 version - are low-quality thieving bastards.

We so love buying at least 6 versions of DPAM albums/being ripped off - FFS ...
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://elviscostello.com/media/audio.php

But you can't hear them without paying the membership fee.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Does anyone have a copy of this and, second part of a 2 part question, would they be kind enough to do me a CD of them.

PMs to the usual address!

Thanks.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?