Re: New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Post by johnfoyle »

Video of four and a half minute interview with Elvis re- 'Spectacle' -

http://watch.ctv.ca/etalk/tv/extended-- ... #clip67405
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.daylife.com/search/photos/al ... s+costello

Singer and songwriter Elvis Costello gestures as he discusses his new program "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with. .." during the Sundance Channel's panel presentation at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills,California July 10, 2008.
jmm

Post by jmm »

I guess this might have been among the topics the three of them discussed

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/07/18/mo ... ref=movies

Movie Review
Lou Reed's Berlin (2007)NYT Critics' Pick This movie has been designated a Critic's Pick by the film reviewers of The Times.
Waterboy Productions/The Weinstein Company
Lou Reed in “Lou Reed’s Berlin,” directed by Julian Schnabel and shot at St. Ann’s Warehouse in Brooklyn in 2006.

July 18, 2008
Tales From Divided Berlin, Where Angst Ate the Soul
By STEPHEN HOLDEN
Published: July 18, 2008

In Julian Schnabel’s grimly majestic concert film “Lou Reed’s Berlin,” Mr. Reed wears the deadpan smirk of a Zen master who has endured unusually punishing Buddhist training. His look isn’t that of a blissed-out monk newly returned from mountaintop meditations. It is the grimly amused seen-it-all stare of a voyeuristic chronicler of drug-fueled sadomasochistic rituals in the grittier corners of cities that never sleep. This is the real world, Mr. Reed seems to signal, while strumming tough minimalist riffs on his guitar and singing in a quavering, gravelly monotone: Get used to it, boys and girls.

At the December 2006 concerts of Mr. Reed’s rock oratorio “Berlin” at St. Ann’s Warehouse in Brooklyn, where the movie was filmed, Mr. Reed performed with a 35-piece ensemble conducted by his fellow guitarist Steve Hunter, who played on the original 1973 “Berlin” album. The movie faithfully reproduces the sound of that record, which was a commercial disappointment when released.

A digressive 10-song suite, “Berlin” chronicles the disintegration of a couple’s relationship in West Berlin in the era before the wall dividing East and West was torn down. The wife (or lover), Caroline (filmed for a fragmentary silent movie within the movie by the director’s daughter Lola Schnabel and played by Emmanuelle Seigner), is a speed and sex addict who sneers at her partner for being passive and unmanly, and binges on depravity until the authorities step in and take away their children. Caroline eventually commits suicide by slashing her wrists.

Her partner, Jim (Mr. Reed), narrates the story in the tone of a helpless bystander whose bottled rage sporadically leaks out, only to be swallowed as he resumes his attitude of stoic detachment. In the final number, “Sad Song,” Jim, still besotted with the memory of Caroline, confesses in Mr. Reed’s typical clipped verbiage: “I thought she was Mary, Queen of Scots/My castle kids and home/I tried so very hard/Shows just how wrong you can be.”

“Berlin” evokes Gail Sheehy’s exposé, “Speed Is of the Essence,” published in 1971, when the perils of methedrine addiction were just beginning to be recognized. The book’s centerpiece portrayed a desperate drug-addicted couple spiraling toward insanity.

Mr. Schnabel’s set design depicting Jim and Caroline’s seedy hotel room suggests a battered Chinese scroll. Projections flickering across it create a semi-abstract murk that reflects the ceaseless agitation described in the songs.

Those songs are some of the most melodic and tender of Mr. Reed’s career. The original record, produced by Bob Ezrin in the grand style of ’70s concept albums, is Mr. Reed’s most operatic. For the concert, in addition to basic rock instrumentation, intensely dramatic arrangements with four horn and reed players, two violas and a cello were used. In the more contemplative passages, the music seems to hover as though holding its breath until the last second before a storm breaks. When it does, the guitars swell to a howling crescendo that evokes the passing of a tornado.

Demons charge through this music, but so do angels. The voices of the Brooklyn Youth Chorus lend the score a thread of eerie sweetness. In the most evocative moment, the voices flutter downward like falling angels sighing in defeat.

The concert’s three encores, not from “Berlin,” include Mr. Reed’s ominously quiet “Rock Minuet,” from his 2000 album “Ecstasy”; “Candy Says,” a duet between Mr. Reed and the ethereal-voiced Antony (of Antony and the Johnsons) that evokes the same demonic-seraphic dichotomy found in “Berlin”; and his Velvet Underground classic, “Sweet Jane.”

In the film’s production notes, Mr. Schnabel describes “Berlin” as the soundtrack of his life. I hesitate to imagine what that means. As a cautionary tale “Lou Reed’s Berlin” is an 85-minute public-service announcement that preaches “Just say no.” The force of the music, however, lends this tawdry melodrama a tragic stature.

“Lou Reed’s Berlin” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). There are images of depravity and strong language.

LOU REED’S BERLIN
Opens on Friday in New York and Los Angeles.

Directed by Julian Schnabel; music and lyrics by Lou Reed; director of photography, Ellen Kuras; edited by Benjamin Flaherty; produced by Jon Kilik and Tom Sarig; released by Third Rail. In Manhattan at the Film Forum, 209 West Houston Street, South Village. Running time: 1 hour 25 minutes.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c8132.html

CTV Release: The Police to Appear on CTV's Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...

-- Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland to tape television farewell
in New York City in August --

-- Motown legend Smokey Robinson also confirmed for new talk/music
series --

TORONTO, July 29 /CNW/ - It was announced today that The Police will tape
an episode of CTV's Spectacle: Elvis Costello with... in August in New York
City. The television farewell will air as part of CTV's new talk/performance
series, set to premiere later this year in Canada, the United States (on
Sundance Channel) and in the U.K. (on Channel 4). FremantleMedia Enterprises
distributes the series internationally.

For this historic music television event, Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart
Copeland will perform and discuss with Elvis their varied and respective
interests in music as individuals, as well as the remarkable chemistry
together that has made The Police one of the biggest bands in music history.

This exclusive engagement with Elvis follows an exciting spring and
summer for the host who has been touring with The Police on their massively
successful reunion tour, to widespread acclaim.

Motown legend Smokey Robinson will also tape an episode of CTV's
Spectacle in August, exploring with Elvis his extraordinary 50 year career as
a songwriter, singer and guiding light of soul/R&B.

"The Police and Smokey Robinson - it doesn't get any better than this,"
said Susanne Boyce, President, Creative, Content and Channels, CTV Inc.
"Spectacle continues to make good on its promise to deliver an unpredictable
and unprecedented television experience."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bumpershine.com/2008/07/30/w ... olice.html

Win Tickets to a Taping of Spectacle: Elvis Costello with… The Police

On Wednesday, August 6th The Police will film an episode of Spectacle: Elvis Costello with… at an undisclosed location in Manhattan (though previous shows were taped at NBC Studios at Rockefeller Center). To win tickets to the taping, follow the directions below.

To get your name into the ticket lottery to attend this taping you need to email spectaclecontest@thepolice.com no later than midnight (PT) on Thursday, July 31 and answer the following question:

The Police and Elvis Costello were both inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the same year. Which year was that?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Police/Spectacle show seems to have been replaced by the Smokey Robinson episode, going by this e-mail from Elvis' site -

Hey Elvis Costello Fans!

We're announcing a unique opportunity for Elvis Costello fans to take part in a historic music television event in New York City next week. We have 150 tickets for lucky Elvis Costello fans who would like to attend a special taping of Elvis's forthcoming TV show Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...! The taping will not only include a performance and interview with Smokey Robinson, but a live set by Elvis Costello & the Imposters!

Here's the event information at a glance:

Event: A special taping of "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...Smokey Robinson"
(Including a Live Set by Elvis Costello & the Imposters after Smokey Robinson!)
Date: Wednesday, August 6th, 2008
Time: Doors open at 8:15 PM - Doors close at 9:00 PM
Location: NYC venue; Exact location to be confirmed 24 hours prior to performance

( The Apollo has been mentioned - J.F.)

We will give away tickets based on the following guidelines:

* You must be at least 18 years of age to be considered (proper ID will be required)
* Ticket requests are limited to two (2) per person
* In your ticket request, please include the following:
1. Number of tickets you are requesting
2. Legal first and last name and, if requesting an additional ticket, the legal first and last name of your intended guest
3. Your age, mailing address, email address, and phone number - include the same for your intended guest, if applicable

Please note:

Tickets are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis: Please, respond ONLY if you are absolutely certain that you can attend this event.

To request tickets, please email us all of the information above no later than 11AM ET on Monday, August 4th to: ElvisCostelloGiveaways@gmail.com

By Tuesday, August 5, all confirmed ticket recipients will receive an email detailing the procedure for the issuance of tickets, as well as providing further information regarding this extraordinary event.

This is an exclusive event wherein the buying and selling of tickets can and will result in the forfeiture of said bought and/or sold tickets.

We look forward to seeing you at the show!

ElvisCostello.com
jmm

Post by jmm »

The other four shows were filmed two shows in the same week so I wouldn't think one is replacing the other

Have ticket requests in for both so we'll see????
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote: Hey Elvis Costello Fans!

We're announcing a unique opportunity for Elvis Costello fans to take part in a historic music television event in New York City next week. We have 150 tickets for lucky Elvis Costello fans who would like to attend a special taping of Elvis's forthcoming TV show Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...! The taping will not only include a performance and interview with Smokey Robinson, but a live set by Elvis Costello & the Imposters!
That's great news: a live set with the Imposters that is being taped! Maybe for a new DVD release or a members-only-fanclub-release. :)
If the Police taping takes place the same day, Sting could come over and join Elvis in their "Alison duet".

To me, this feels also a bit like a goodbye for the Imposters for a while. With a new acoustic album ready (recorded with other musicians?) and problably a tour with these musicians, and with some Brodsky dates in the UK in 2009, I get the feeling that we won't see the Imposters for a while.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
migdd

Post by migdd »

sweetest punch wrote: To me, this feels also a bit like a goodbye for the Imposters for a while. With a new acoustic album ready (recorded with other musicians?) and problably a tour with these musicians, and with some Brodsky dates in the UK in 2009, I get the feeling that we won't see the Imposters for a while.

Sad but very likely true. Looks like the "Elvis Costello and the Imposters with Friends" dates eluded to a couple of months ago isn't going to happen.
jeisenstad

Post by jeisenstad »

Has anybody actually scored tickets to any of these tapings.? I have a request in, and I was wondering what my chances are?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sweetest punch wrote:To me, this feels also a bit like a goodbye for the Imposters for a while. With a new acoustic album ready (recorded with other musicians?) and problably a tour with these musicians, and with some Brodsky dates in the UK in 2009, I get the feeling that we won't see the Imposters for a while.
We haven't seen them since 2005 :cry:

At least I saw them half a dozen times that year.

I went to see EC in Amsterdam with the Orchestra in 2006 and London for an extremely lacklustre show with Allen Toussaint in 2007. There's no chance of seeing the Imposters in 2008 so it's 2009 at the earliest.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Anyone get tickets for Aug 6? I am sad I didn't get an email. :cry: I wonder if it would have helped to be a "member"? I was thinking of joining before his next tour so the year would last "longer" and I would have a chance at a pre sale. Maybe I should have joined now. Thoughts?
jmm

Post by jmm »

Just got an e-mail NO on the Smokey show tickets
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

I got an NO tonight also. Anyone here get a yes?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some Police fans are posting to a Stewart Copeland forum about the Police/Spectacle show -

http://www.stewartcopeland.net/forum/vi ... f50cf4d699

(extract)

Apollo is teeny.

Elvis sang ELTSDIM solo guitar 2x. Then another song, he said that Andy played on. Which he mashed up with EBYT

Andy first interviewed. Played Mingus' "weird nightmare" w/EC"

Stewart interviewed no performance. Although he was funny as hell.

Sting interviewed. Played lute and sang with EC. His shirt is mostly unbuttoned with some kind of medallion. Uh, dude.

It looks like they have played "Sunshine of your love"

Had to do "sunshine" twice cause andy went to idaho.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote:Then another song, he said that Andy played on.
"Please Stay," perhaps? Elvis learned it from the version by Zoot Money's Big Roll Band, featuring Andy Summers on guitar.
And No Coffee Table

http://wildkoba.blogspot.com/2008/08/su ... ce-tv.html

just got back from the apollo, where elvis costello is apparently hosting a tv show. the few hundred audience members in the house were treated to a very unique session.

elvis came out and played a warm acoustic version of "everything she does is magic". the song holds up very nice under such a bare setting. his band, the impostors, joined him for one of his songs (i THINK it was "please stay") that morped briefly into "every breath you take".

next came the interview segments. andy, stew, and sting (in that order) were presented with some fairly probing queries about what it means to play as a trio, their musical backgrounds, and the band's legacy. elvis and andy did a reading of mingus's "weird nightmare", a song each of them has done on separate occasions. stew talked about how middle eastern music shaped his sense of rhythm as a youngster (he grew up in cairo and beirut, etc.), and when the "reggae thing" happened as the band formed, "i knew how to play that". sting was asked about his discovery of john dowland, whom he called an "elizabethan blues singer". this prompted a lute appearance and a duet with elvis. they also did a very nice performance of "allison", which sting claims gave him the final push to introduce "roxanne" to his band 30 plus years ago.

even separated from their partners, i sensed a touch of the band's combativeness against each other. hell, elvis even asked them (when they appeared together for more questions) what was their "favorite punch-up". also cf. stew's "i'm in love with this all over again" with sting's "i don't want to cross the same river more than twice" remarks about their feelings on the band.

the session ended with a very cool jam session between the police, elvis, and the impostors. they played "sunshine of your love" (!!), a rousing medley of "watching the detectives" that went into "walking on the moon". they then finished up with "purple haze" and another take of "sunshine".

although i really enjoyed it, i sort of wish that elvis had let the police play on their own. though he's clearly capable of playing with anyone under the sun, it would've been nice to force them into playing their music in the intimacy of the apollo. nevertheless, the session was very fun, and i look forward to wherever elvis takes this project.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

So was there no mention of Dec and Gord's former public contempt for one another?

Looking forward to WTD/WOTM. And the lute bit!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And No Coffee Table

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,399261,00.html#2

'Roxanne' Born Thanks to 'Alison'

Seeing the Pearl Jam guys and Anthony Kiedis at the Woody Allen dinner was quite a surprise, since I had just come down from the Apollo Theater where Elvis Costello taped two of his Sundance channel talk shows back to back. One was with Sting and the Police, the other with Smokey Robinson! Yikes!

The audience learned a lot at the Police taping, starting with Sting’s revelation that he only felt comfortable naming a song “Roxanne” after Costello had had a hit with “Alison” two years earlier in 1977.

“I mean, a girl’s name. I didn’t want to take it to the band,” Sting said during his interview.

Costello, who really seems comfortable as the host of this unique music and chat series, was in rare form Wednesday. He started the Police show by playing “Every Breath You Take” and “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic” solo on guitar for the very psyched crowd that included actor Matthew Modine and wife Cari, two big Police fans.

During the hour with the Police, Costello interviews all three band members individually. We learned a lot about guitarist Andy Summers, who’s a generation older than Sting and Stewart Copeland and has an interesting history with Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix.

Real rock music fans from the “new wave” or power pop era of 1976-85 should get a kick too out of hearing Sting and Costello discuss their respective stalking/angry break-up songs, “Every Breath You Take” and “I Want You.” Sting says he can’t believe the former is used at weddings. Costello marveled that people have told him “I Want You” is romantic. Oh well.

Both stars also cited the late great Dusty Springfield as a huge vocal influence. And Sting named his two favorite Police songs — unlikely choices “Mother” and “Miss Gradenko.”

Did they talk about the infamous, notorious infighting among the three Police members? Oh yes. It’s all out there on table. Sting called Stewart “a handful.” But they’re probably all going to miss each other on some level after Thursday night's final show at Madison Square Garden.

Later, I stayed for sound check to hear Smokey Robinson’s sublime and perfect falsetto on several of his well known hits. Costello performed three of Smokey’s cult hits on his own, too —“The Hunter Is Captured by the Game,” Martha & The Vandellas’ “No More Tearstained Make Up” and the Smokey hit that Costello recorded back in 1982, “From Head to Toe,” something I’ve waited 25 years to hear.

When these shows, and 11 others, air on the Sundance Channel this winter, they’re going to be much applauded. Good, good work!
handwashings

Post by handwashings »

Went to the taping last night. They said the doors would open at 8:15 but we didn't get in until 9:30 or so.

EC & the Imposters played "From Head to Toe," "No More Tear-Stained Make-up" and one other song before Smokey came out for an interview - he was very gregarious and told some great stories about the Apollo Theater, Marvin Gaye and the early days of Motown.

Logistically, the taping didn't seem well-organized at all, as they stopped the momentum of the interview twice for Smokey to sing Norah Jones "Don't Know Why" (with the Imposters) and for some reason only half of "The Tracks of My Tears (with Steve Nieve)." Why they didn't just record the entire interview and then all of the songs, I don't know, but I got the sense that there were fewer songs played than planned due to the late start time. The only other song was EC and Smokey dueting on "You Really Got A Hold On Me" at the end of the evening.

Funniest moment was EC showing the video for "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down" and explaining that it was his intention to mimic some of the dance moves of the Miracles and other Motown groups.
And No Coffee Table

Was there "a Live Set by Elvis Costello & the Imposters after Smokey Robinson!" as promised?
handwashings

Post by handwashings »

Nope - just that one song, unfortunately.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

man....that POLICE SPECTACLE sounds like a real winner. too bad that the tour did not go along these lines as well. i anxiously look forward to the seven of them playing those two anthems upon the tube. sure hope ALL the music is aired!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,399261,00.html#2

Both stars also cited the late great Dusty Springfield as a huge vocal influence. And Sting named his two favorite Police songs — unlikely choices “Mother” and “Miss Gradenko.”
Sting choose (modestly) songs he didn't write himself. If think Andy wrote "Mother" and Stewart wrote "Miss Gradenko".
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.