Dexy's On TOTP2 - Wed 8th

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
DrJ

Dexy's On TOTP2 - Wed 8th

Post by DrJ »

The reformed Dexy's Midnight Runners will be on TOTP2 on Wed on BBC2.

Sing Hosannas!

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Damn, just missed it! Any good. I stayed up watching the tedious Q awards (life achievement award to Duran Duran?!?!) just for the odd glimpse of Kevin. I'll have to go and see them at the Corn exchange later this month. Saw them touring Too-Rye-Ay 22 years ago. Brilliant and absurd. I remember they started with Old with the stage lit a very deep blue, fabulous. Kevin did lots of press-ups. they sounded great.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Straight in from work and watched it on video. Good show overall, Lenbnon doing Instant Karma (seen it 1000 times) Kirsty McColl, The Smiths and at the end Dexy's.

Played the new song Manhood and I was blown away. I feel I now have to buy the Greatest Hits to have it. The song is like something off don't Stand Me Down played in a laid back Too-rye-ay style. The band looked killer, in sharp suits. Kev and some other dude up front (not sure who it is) two keyboardists either side of the stage, one is Mick Talbot I think, guitar, bass, fiddle, guitar. Rowland is in great voice, the song is lovely. Backing vox go "Kev, what's it like to be a man" or something and Kev explains. There's one line where Kev goes "I'm so scared I have to plan everything" or something like that (haven't rewatched it yet). Best thing I've seen on telly for ages. I'm now soooooo looking forward to the live gig except it seems I'll have to miss Dublin so I'm gonna go to Belfast instead, and Belfast could be more fun anyway.

Yeah it was brilliant. I was so worried it'd be shit but it was exactly what I hoped. Oh and Kev and the other singing guy did these great syncopated handclaps at various points. I'm just overexcited now. I guess they've recorded other songs for upcoming TOTP2's, so I'll keep 'em peeled.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The new greatest hits is worth getting as quite a few of the songs have been rerecorded and it also contains one other new song. The second vocalist is credited as Pete Williams on the album, presume that was he on totp.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Dexys and the Smiths? Wow! I really will have to go see them. Just spent a while answering my own question: What was the amazing song playing at the end of the amazing documentary about Kev that was on telly a couple of years ago, which sounded like older, wiser Kev addressing younger, madder Kev, 'young man, young man ...' (played after he was critical, with great humility, of the terrible price his own self-importance made him pay as a younger man). Answer: Young Man from The Wanderer. Now do any of you Dexys diehards know that song or LP? I was hoping that it would be off Don't Stand Me Down and on Let's Make This Precious, but was wrong on both counts. Is that the only good song on it, or is it an obscure masterpiece? I think we had the Don't Stand Me Down debate a while back. I never heard it, I'd loved SFTYSRs and Too-Rye-Aye to death, but it was time to move on, Irish gypsies to 40s accountants was too absurd. A quick internet trawl reveals some predictably contrasting fan opinions, a classic 'either love it or hate it' scenario.

Are songs on LMTP really re-recorded, or just re-mixed? Which ones? Sounds interesting.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

"Don't Stand Me Down" is a classic, my fave Dexy's record and one of my favourites of all time. It's full of Kev's little "discussions". There's a new version out from about a year ago with a bonus DVD which I should probably buy.

I wish I had "My Beauty" but it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Richard

Post by Richard »

Don't Stand Me Down is most certainly the Dexy's highpoint. It took me many years to realize this, the preppie look was disconcerting enough to discourage me from investigating at the time.

Searching For The Yong Soul Rebels is a masterpiece, yet I still think Stand Me Down superior. Musically more of a melding of the soul music Kevin obviously adores with his own Irish heritage. And lyrically Kevin ruminating on this Irish heritage amongst other things.

If you don't have it Otis you are in for a real treat!

The Wanderer I remember looking at in the stores when it was released. Yet I never went any further. Now it is like the Holy Grail of Rowland's work for me. I've been searching, but I can't find it anywhere!

My Beauty I did get & as much as I wanted & still want to love it after all the critical flak Kevin took & for all the great work he created previously, it is down right awful.

Now just fingers crossed that he brings these new Dexy's to the States!
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

The only thing I heard off 'My Beauty' was his version of "I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top" and it just sounded like he was having a breakdown while trying to sing. Kinda compelling.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Didn't realize until I read EC liner notes for Punch the Clock that Dexy's horn section was the TKO horns. BTW, I listened to the PtC re-issue for the first time yesterday and couldn't help breaking out in a big grin when I heard "TKO (Boxing Day)" for the first time in years - an underrated tune.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

A great tune, from an LP that's full of them. Glad it made you smile. Not sure all of the TKOs were ex-Dexys. Certainly Big Jimmy Patterson ('he drinks two bottles of whisky a day and will die soon from it, but all that matters is that he has soul', from one of the legendary Kev music paper essays). I thought they were a fantastic addition when I saw them live on that tour. I would love an Elvis and TKO reunion tour. it's the killer live tracks on the PTC bonus that have got me yearning. King Horse is fabulous, and I can't believe that I'd been on the planet for 39 years before I heard The Bells. Will have to track down the original now.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: I would love an Elvis and TKO reunion tour. it's the killer live tracks on the PTC bonus that have got me yearning.
I second that. Got a live recording from 1984 and the TKO horns are on the PTC tracks and not on the others like Lipstick Vogue and Clubland, but imagine if they were. They sound especially proud on Watch Your Step from that bonus disc.