Download-Only Elvis?

Pretty self-explanatory
The Walrus

Download-Only Elvis?

Post by The Walrus »

I'm doing a bit of an Elvis project and was wondering if I could get some help with some info...

Here's my question: What Elvis songs were only released as downloads?

I know there's bigger things like 'Futurama' and 'iTunes Exclusives'

and

*"North" [self-titled track to the album]
*"The Greatest Love" [iTunes bonus track to 'The River in Reverse']

Were there others?

Did any of the above ever show up on CD or vinyl?

Any help is GREATLY appeciated!!!
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
And No Coffee Table

Re: Download-Only Elvis?

Post by And No Coffee Table »

In addition to the ones you mentioned...

"Still (Live)": iTunes bonus track for My Flame Burns Blue in some countries (not the US).

"Who Are These People? (Explicit Version)" by Burt Bacharach & EC: available from iTunes and Amazon and probably other download services.

"Veronica/The Ways of Love (Live)": part of The Bridge School Concerts Vol. 2 on iTunes. (This also includes Neil Young doing "Down By The River" with EC on guitar and backing vocals.)

"I Want You (Live)" by Fiona Apple & EC: available from iTunes. Originally part of the VH1 Decades Rock Live special.

"There Are Much Worse Things To Believe In" and "Peace, Love & Understanding" from A Colbert Christmas: The TV show is available on DVD, but the soundtrack "album" is only on iTunes.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Although probably worth noting that - on UK Itunes, at least - the Colbert album is album-only, so you can't download those two tracks individually. It's difficult to tell from the 30-second samples how much you can actually hear of EC on each one. Bearing in mind I'll try and get hold of virtually any EC track except those where he only appears fleetingly - can anyone who knows the tracks well tell me how much EC appears in each? Is it really worth £7 on the whole album just to get those two tracks?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Definitely worth it for "There Are Much Worse Things...", that's a real duet and EC sings a lot. It's a very cool song. PLU is a gropu effort and you have verses by all the participants.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

BTW, the iTunes bonus track for The River In Reverse is "Where Is The Love." "The Greatest Love" is the bonus on the Japanese CD.
The Walrus

Post by The Walrus »

And No Coffee Table wrote:BTW, the iTunes bonus track for The River In Reverse is "Where Is The Love." "The Greatest Love" is the bonus on the Japanese CD.
Oops! My mistake. Thanks for the correction! 8)

And thanks for the help, everybody.

The project I'm working on is based on the the iTunes Exclusives collection BUT pumped-up with download-only tracks since those songs aren't on any proper EC album. I think this will especially work out since it's an overview of his career.

There will be a couple cheats...

*I intended to include some leaked music as well--like "Price of Love", "Bright Blue Times", "Tear Off Your Own Head" [demo], and anything else I can think of. Suggestions?

*I'm intending to include vinyl-only tracks, too. To give them a proper home as well. BUT I'll start a new, seperate thread on that to keep this all straight.

**As for the other tracks Elvis has floating around that can be found on various compact discs--soundtracks, compilations, tributes, guest appearances, etc.--that's for another set altogether.
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

I advise buying/enjoying (possibly only once each) all of the EC albums etc.

So far I have officially bought 20 iTunes songs from about 48 artistes not officially otherwise released on vinyl/CD or cassette. Most commercial downloads are even lower quality than on CD.

It is quite possibly legally to access online commercially unreleased material.

On this site we are not supposed to mention e.g. SoulSeek etc.

I won't mention Spotify again.

Whenever I have listened in advance via online sources I have ordered the commercial product anyway (e.g. Elvis Costello - SP+S due out June 1st).

I like all of Elvis Costello stuff, although some I admit to playing only twice.

I have only about 10-20 Elvis Costello official commercial albums (mostly CD) on which he contributed e.g. 1 song, or co-wrote the 'music'.