'A Room Of My Own - Elvis Costello ' February 1981

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

'A Room Of My Own - Elvis Costello ' February 1981

Post by johnfoyle »

Longtime Elvis Costello fan Nick Ratcliffe let me rummage through his cuttings folder when I recently visited him in England. A prize piece that I uncovered is this . The copy I made doesn't have a date. I'm sure Nick will let me know from his original in due course but , for the moment, let's read about when Elvis was little more cruel-

Rock singer Elvis Costello lives in a bus whenever he is on tour.

It is a converted American Silver Eagle, just over 40ft long, soundproofed and air-conditioned with thick carpets and curtains to provide a protected and insulated environment — `a life saver' during gruelling music tours.

`It provides a good hide-out,' he says, `and makes life a little bit easier in places I don't want to be. There is a lot of inverted snobbery about rock, and some bands feel it is important that they arrive to perform in the right mode of transport. I've been under a lot of pressure to arrive:in a limousine, but I can't stand them.'

The bus is also a place where he can relax. `Some days :.I feel terrible and think "How can I do the show tonight?" but I can fall to pieces here for three hours or so and then I'm ready to go again. I can use it as a dressing room when there has been nowhere to change and, what I really like, I can lurk in here until it is time to goon stage, which protects me from journalists. journalists hound me, which is why I haven't given an interview for more than two years.'

He stayed in the bus for two months when he last toured America. `Once,' he remembers, `we drove 1,500 miles non-stop in it. I hired two drivers and at the end had an effect almost like jet lag. Mind you, the air-conditioning really came into its own as temperatures were changing from 27 below to 80 degrees. The bus was also wonderful when I was in Germany. It's a country I can't stand and it helped protect me from the atmosphere.'

Elvis Costello is small and pale and was wearing a deliberately shabby suit when I met him. His distaste for being
interviewed was obvious - his forehead was wreathed in sweat and his manner tense and uncomfortable. But once he relaxed, he cracked joke after joke and hospitably opened every cupboard and drawer in the bus to show exactly what went where.

He has a house in London and bought the bus over a year ago when he was in the US. Although he wanted the decor to be `very tasteless. I wanted a lot of red leatherette', unfortunately there wasn't time and he had to be satisfied with the taste of the company that converted it.

The bus can sleep up to eight and is divided into sections, two lounge areas, a dining area, a galley kitchen and lavatory and wash basin. There is deep brown carpet throughout, lots of natural wood, and two televisions, two videos, and an electric piano, which all work off a generator.

At the far end - `I call it the opium den' - the seats and curtains are turquoise velvet and the ceiling a complementary paisley-type patterned velvet. And there is one television. `I spend a lot of time in here,' he says. `When you pull the curtains you can really forget where you are.' The inner lounge is less opulent: sandy-brown leatherette settee with matching button-backed ceiling. It contains the second television and the electric piano.

`The televisions are American,' he explains, `and cannot pick up English stations. We can only use them for American films on video.' The films are neatly labelled and include 'Barbarella', `Dr Strangelove', Play It Again Sam' and his favourite, 'Clockwork Orange'. `I must have seen "Clockwork Orange" about 50 times. I can more or less recite it,' Elvis says. When I was in Germany I kept play ing "Marathon Man", "The Odessa File" and "The Boys from Brazil"

The electric piano - `which baffles me, as I am not the most technical musician. I am more used to the guitar' - is a `new avenue' for him. It proving quite successful and he
claims, `I am coming up with more unusual tunes.' He enjoys composing on the bus `because it is so relaxing. His days don't follow any special pattern. `Sometimes,' he says, `there can be six or seven of us in the bus. Four in the band, the tour manager, one of the crew and a security guard. When I want to steep, I go to the back where the bunks are comfortable and well away from the driver. But other times we sit and talk and joke.'

It is possible to cook in the gallery kitchen, but mostly Elvis admits use the microwave for heating sake'. He prefers to eat out and has Michelin and Good Food Guides to hand on the dining table. `It always amuses me,' he says, `when we pull at a smart restaurant and someone rushes out and says, "We don't take coach parties here".'

The microwave oven might actually be on its last wavelength as Elvis thinking of replacing it with a tumble dryer. 'My biggest problem,' he says `is getting my laundry done. I'm never in one place long enough, so I often tend to stink. There isn't a shower in the bus.'

As the coach is longer than average and rather wide it can cause problems. We have to go through country lanes inch by inch,' he says, `and keep a Honda 70cc motorbike in the luggage container to use if it breaks down. I don't drive myself, so it is rather ironic that the first vehicle I own is this enormous thing.'
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu May 07, 2009 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
thepopeofpop

Re: 'A Room Of My Own - Elvis Costello ' c. 1978/9

Post by thepopeofpop »

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that's more likely to date from 1980 or so. Elvis is a bit too friendly for 78/79. He's also composing songs on the electric piano - which he wasn't doing as early as Armed Forces (or so we've always believed).

A good find though!
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Wow!
That's some bus! Is it the bus in the New Amsterdam Video? It's pretty amazing on the inside. The decor is 1/2 Ski Lodge and 1/2 Whorehouse.
What a great way to travel!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
alexv

Post by alexv »

I think Elvis and the guy who acts like the manager from Spinal Tap are discussing the milk-holding capacitiy of the very refrigerator referenced in the article John unearthed!!

Nice bits here that I had never seen: a young dave edmunds ignoring our Hero; Pete's "chocolate milk for me"; the dude "sniffing" the milk (help, who he?); geraldo looking Harry Reemsish, and as obnoxious as ever; our Hero's supernatural supermarket encounter with a "fan"; and the difficulty of choosing the "right" spice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhMbkul61SA
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

The Pope is as infallible as usual.

My manuscript note on the original cutting from The Observer colour supplement dates this to 15 February 1981. The white socks with Doc Martens look did not come into "fashion" until 1979/1980, on the back of Two Tone.

MOOT
Causeway

Re: 'A Room Of My Own - Elvis Costello ' February 1981

Post by Causeway »

Fascinating picture, I wonder what make those speakers are, and what became of them.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The above picture is a detail from the original. Here it is in full-

As you can see , it was spread over two pages.The right hand page didn't survive very well . I decided to leave most of it out because the faded quality distracts somewhat from the rest of the picture. It's all so.......brown.
nord

Post by nord »

Causeway wrote:Fascinating picture, I wonder what make those speakers are, and what became of them.
JBL

thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Good spotting, nord. I thought I recognised that red logo, but I couldn't remember the brand.

John, I've cleaned up the photo a bit and colour-corrected it (especially on the right-side) but yes it is still dominated by brown, yellow and red shades:
Photograph2fixc.jpg
Photograph2fixc.jpg (171.46 KiB) Viewed 14487 times
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm 'bumping' this for no better reason than it's just over 30 years old. Elvis is still on the road but everything else has changed.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to Peter for spotting this -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ju ... NTCMP=SRCH

The Observer, Sunday 31 July 2011

Celebrating five decades of the Observer Magazine

Not To Be Sold Separately, a new exhibition of the Observer Magazine's history, opens this weekend. We look back on the iconic images and ground-breaking articles that launched us on our way

Interiors of the 80s: A room of my own, Peter York on the stars in their natural habitats

Different from the photo used in '81 - more detail, Elvis' left hand down from the keyboard etc.

(extract)

The difficult, self-conscious singer-songwriter Elvis Costello is pictured in his ironically decorated tour trailer. He explains how he'd wanted it to be more bad-taste leatherette-ish (perhaps he feared it might be judged naive rather than ironic). He then proceeds to contradict himself several times over. He's status-conscious – oh no he's not. He doesn't give interviews – so what's this then? You feel you know this clever, annoying man a lot better.

Not To Be Sold Separately: The Observer Colour Magazine 1964-1995. The exhibition runs until 1 September at Guardian News & Media's office at Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1. Admission is free. Open every day from 10am-6pm
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Pretty cool. It also raises the question about whether EC's career has really been as cash-starved as he makes it sound; how many of us could afford to run an operation like that? (Then again, that was right after eight straight top-30 singles, prior to two divorces, etc.). I for one wouldn't mind such a bus...the tacky deco is just a bonus :wink:
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Am in agreement having seen recently the well appointed traveling arrangements he uses these days with my own eyes - definitely not motoring third class. Have often thought the artist cries 'wolf' too readily['poor' joke given the motif of the most recent album cover and the 'ravenous' lupine referenced in the opening and ending songs on the record].
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'