opinion re: DIFFERENT versions SUGARCANE tour please

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

opinion re: DIFFERENT versions SUGARCANE tour please

Post by bronxapostle »

okay, those who know me well indeed know me to be a statistician freak. i will credit TRULY different takes of a familiar tune as a different tune in my setlist chronicles. e.g. the NEW YEARS EVE 1981 version of I CAN'T STAND UP FOR FALLING DOWN is (slowly...the NYE version). the 1984 solo tour had the acoustic tour version of ONLY FLAME IN TOWN. the 1996 CHELSEA following DISTORTED ANGEL is DISTORTED CHELSEA in my book. but, i try to be fair about it without giving credit for solely different instrumentation....it must have a vastly different "FEEL". so, for my two SUGARCANE shows from NJ & NY...i only gave FOUR songs THIS credit. they were: THE DELIVERY MAN, RED SHOES, LITTLE PALACES and EVERYDAY I WRITE THE BOOK. these WERE markedly different in my opinion. i am curious about yours. oh, COMPLICATED SHADOWS from this tour is notated as (SP&S) for being THIS lp's take as opposed to the ATUB original. speaking of this track...was it 2002? i called that the COMPLICATED SHADOW boogie as THAT also was vastly different again in my opinion. i can further illustrate from home this evening what i mean if people have questions. but, again....who is with me on these four being the only "different" versions from the SUGARCANES tour thusly??? thanks for your assistance. peace, ba
Ypsilanti

Re: opinion re: DIFFERENT versions SUGARCANE tour please

Post by Ypsilanti »

What about "Brilliant Mistake"? I thought that was pretty different from the KOA version. And "There's a Story in Your Voice" seemed somewhat changed from the DM version, plus obviously lacked Lucinda Williams. "Blame it on Cain" also was quite a bit more country-ized.

But maybe there are versions of these songs that I don't know about which sound more like what I heard in concert the other night than the original album versions. You would know better than I would--I'm still kind of a Elvis neophyte.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
bronxapostle

Re: opinion re: DIFFERENT versions SUGARCANE tour please

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks for your input ypsi...yeah, i have re-evaluated each of the three you mentioned and i do stand by my original call. CAIN obviously had a slightly different feel...but, again, more the instrumentation than an actual re-work. i guess i would say the same for BRILLIANT MISTAKE even though that one funnily enough, i almost feel is precisely the same as always. i think i hear steve's organ even!!! and lastly STORY VOICE, yes though no LUCINDA and less of a rocking tune than the lp, i think it also stays true to the original as well. so, again, thanks for your opinion...but i will stand by my original call. i would love to hear from others who do indeed know these 2009 takes because they were there or have heard a boot. ANCT? FAVEHOUR? come on folks....i would love everyone's two cents about this. excuse my obsession...but, i guess that is what these forums are for, right?