Elvis in St. Louis July 11 as Sheryl Crow's Guest

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Elvis in St. Louis July 11 as Sheryl Crow's Guest

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Elvis Costello has been added as the special guest during the 2009 Major=
League Baseball All-Star Charity Concert starring Sheryl Crow July 11 under the Gateway Arch.

When Missouri native Crow returned to St. Louis last week to announce her=
concert, she beamed at the mention of her mystery guest.

It is not completely clear yet if Costello will open the concert or
perform some songs with Crow during her set.

The free concert benefits Stand Up to Cancer. Pepsi is presenting the concert.

Get more information at www.mlb.com.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/the-bl ... w-concert/
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis in St. Louis July 11 as Sheryl Crow's Guest

Post by sweetest punch »

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/atoz/2 ... e_arch.php

Major League Baseball announced today that Elvis Costello will join Missouri native and nine-time Grammy Award winner Sheryl Crow as her special guest at the 2009 Major League Baseball All-Star Charity Concert presented by Pepsi on Saturday, July 11 under the iconic Gateway Arch at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. The concert, which will be free to fans, is the culmination of a day-long celebration of baseball history and recognizes the $1 million donation made by Major League Baseball to Stand Up To Cancer. The concert will be streamed live compliments of Pepsi on MLB.com, the official website of Major League Baseball, and fans watching the live stream will be encouraged to donate to Stand Up To Cancer.

"Having long cherished my Dad's catcher's mitt from his time with the Bidston Indians in the local, post-war, Merseyside amateur leagues, inspired by visiting USAAF baseball enthusiasts, I'm delighted to take part in this event," said Costello. "Having given up my chance to play sports for a life in music, I cannot think of anything better than sitting in with Sheryl and her band for a few surprise numbers and a rocking good time in St. Louis."

"I am thrilled that my good friend Elvis Costello has agreed to join me for the Major League Baseball All-Star Charity Concert in my backyard under the St. Louis Arch," said Crow. "In addition to being a tremendous performer and a musical inspiration for me, I know he shares my feelings on the importance of fighting cancer, so I want to thank him for supporting this concert which benefits such a worthy organization in Stand Up To Cancer."

The concert will begin at 8:00 p.m. CT on Saturday, July 11. Prior to the concert, the St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs game on FOX will be aired live at the concert location for fans to view, beginning at 3:00 p.m. CT. All visitors will be screened at security checkpoints before entering.

The 2009 Major League Baseball All-Star Charity Concert presented by Pepsi is part of a series of charitable events and activities leading up to the MLB All-Star Game. This year's All-Star activities are focused on MLB and its business partners giving back to important charitable causes and celebrating the importance of community service. In addition to Pepsi, MLB sponsors Budweiser, Sharp and Taco Bell are also proud partners of the event.

In a musical career spanning more than 30 years, Elvis Costello is perhaps best known for his performances with The Attractions, The Imposters and for concert appearances with pianist Steve Nieve, as well as acclaimed collaborations with Burt Bacharach, The Brodsky Quartet, Paul McCartney and other prominent artists. Costello won a Grammy for "I Still Have That Other Girl" from his 1998 collaboration with Burt Bacharach, 'Painted From Memory." Elvis Costello and The Attractions were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. Costello's new album 'Secret, Profane & Sugarcane' (Hear Music) recently debuted at #13 on the Billboard 200, the musician's highest album chart position since 1980's 'Get Happy.'

Major League Baseball has responded to United States of America President Barack Obama's call for community service through "United We Serve," a program which begins today to encourage all Americans to be part of building a new foundation for America by engaging in sustained and meaningful community service. The initiative will focus on four key areas: energy and the environment, health care, education, and community renewal. President Obama is encouraging all Americans to visit www.serve.gov to find service opportunities in their area. The concert will be an environmentally focused event featuring the Major League Baseball Green Team, a group that will collect recyclable bottles and cans at the show. Pepsi and Aquafina are supplying more than 100 recycling bins that will be located around the Arch grounds. Major League Baseball has a relationship with the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), who advises MLB on ways for the League and its Clubs to implement practices and policies that are environmentally-friendly.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi

I thought that the "Bidston Indians" may have been an invention of Elvis' imagination. However here's a link to baseball on Merseyside ( worth reading just for the words "Goodison Park" in the first line) :

http://www.liverpooltrojansbaseball.co. ... eyside.htm

and Bidston on the Wirral is close to the family roots, so it may just all be true...

Annnother one for the history trail John to add to the Liverpool referrences in Red Cotton?

Colin Top Balcony
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Top balcony wrote:Hi

I thought that the "Bidston Indians" may have been an invention of Elvis' imagination. However here's a link to baseball on Merseyside ( worth reading just for the words "Goodison Park" in the first line) :

http://www.liverpooltrojansbaseball.co. ... eyside.htm

and Bidston on the Wirral is close to the family roots, so it may just all be true...

Annnother one for the history trail John to add to the Liverpool referrences in Red Cotton?

Colin Top Balcony

why, have we ever known our boy to be a LIAR??? you know he has a story for every occasion!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Stand up to Cancer - YES
MLB and summer - YES
Sheryl Crow - NOOOOOO!!!!

I'm NOT A FAN. Her latest performance on Conan was really horrible. I actually felt bad for her (just for one moment).
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

BA

LIAR is a bit strong , certainly a "loaded imagination" do you remember this little bit of fun from earlier in the year ?

On March 31st we’ll get a new “session” from the Coward Brothers, Costello’s partnership with producer T-Bone Burnett. It’s a “live studio recording of the soundtrack for a stop-frame animation feature adapted from the James Ensor painting, ‘Christ’s Last Entry Into Brussels’.”

Now then… Costello’s website goes onto explain that the above Coward Brothers album, Henry and Howard’s Last Entry Into Brussels, will also be distributed in a non-traditional manner: “U.S. edition of record will be released on a state-by-state basis, in alphabetical order. Due to problems with piracy, only one copy will be manufactured for issue in each state or international territory. Individual copies will be encoded with the new, KNARP discriminators and secreted in the racks of selected stockists. Those discovering each unique disc will be free to do with it as their conscience draws it.”

Colin TB
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I plan to go. Thanks for the tip!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/the-bl ... -saturday/

Sheryl Crow planning tribute during All-Star concert Saturday

By Kevin C. Johnson

(extract)

Q. Can you give us a preview of your playlist for the concert?

A. We’re going to do a lot of songs people know. We haven’t played St. Louis in a while so it’s going to be a little bit of a homecoming. And as everyone knows Elvis Costello is going to come sit in with us and we’re going to do some songs of his that everyone will know and I of course love.

And we’re going to do one surprise song that I think everyone will get a kick out of because it’s by a St. Louis native, an East St. Louis native, if that gives it away.

Q. How have rehearsals with Costello been going, or have you even started rehearsing yet?

A. We haven’t rehearsed yet (laughs). But I can guarantee you they’re going to be great. I’m a huge fan and we’ve been emailing a lot back and forth and we do cross paths a lot and I know his wife and I think it’s going to be a blast. My band, we’re all like little kids. We’re so excited that we get to share the stage with one of the architects of power pop music and those incredible melodies and intellectual lyrics. We feel like we’re going to get an old-fashioned schooling.

Q. Who’s idea was it that Elvis Costello should be your special guest?

A. A lot of brains went into this and it just worked out beautifully.

And we’re going to do one surprise song that I think everyone will get a kick out of because it’s by a St. Louis native, an East St. Louis native, if that gives it away.
Songwriters born in St Louis ?

Chuck Berry was born October 18, 1926 in St. Louis, Missouri.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Elvis can duet with her and be the new Kid Cock...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John O. posts to listserv-

Will be shown online tonight:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/ ... 4-55428157
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Stephanie Alexander, one of Sheryl Crow's backup singers, writes on Twitter:

"OK Elvis Costello is a PIMP! Dude has on layers, a leather jacket, scarf and a fedora. It's like 200 degrees and sopping wet here!"
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Stephanie Alexander, one of Sheryl Crow's backup singers, writes on Twitter:

"OK Elvis Costello is a PIMP! Dude has on layers, a leather jacket, scarf and a fedora. It's like 200 degrees and sopping wet here!"
we knew that steph!!! i always bust his balls about taking off his jacket and staying awhile!!!
and he was SMOKIN' tonight.
i hate to say things like this...but, boy, does she and her band STINK!!! so-so songs played just the same.
'til he walked out! in fact, the first half of the song without him was the usual mediocrity, but once E joined in, they became quite fine players. THE FIRST CUT IS THE DEEPEST was a surprise of a duet to me, but worked nicely! E not caring if he appeared to step on toes on her hit, but he knew he brought the band up two notches. then they banged out a PUMPITUP, then another Sheryl song w/ E playing electric and minimal b vox. then PEACE LOVE to close his four songs out. hope he'll be back.

okay...Chuck Berry's Livin' in the U.S.A. (?) for the first encore. a duet!

second encore LED ZEP ROCK AND ROLL..no vox from E ...just a little guitar. small solo at end.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Anyone able to capture the video of this? I could hardly watch it, the video froze up so much!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Anyone able to capture the video of this? I could hardly watch it, the video froze up so much!

no fave dave...but, i was able to grab the audio. no freezing here. and hey, my cd burner has resurrected. so, i will get around to sending RED BANK to you real soon!
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Last edited by charliestumpy on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Rock And Roll
Written by: Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham
Recorded by:
Led Zeppelin, on Led Zeppelin IV, 1971
Performed by Sheryl Crow and her band with Elvis on guitar 2009-07-11 in St. Louis.

(from ECwiki)

Could it be that Elvis is finally turnin on to Led Zeppelin :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Which one's Sheryl ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »