Elvis Costello in Montreux on July 13 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
faithfull

Elvis Costello in Montreux on July 13 2010

Post by faithfull »

is this gig confirmed? saw the date on the wikipedia site. But how official is this information?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Costello in Montreux on July 13

Post by johnfoyle »

If Sugarcane Mike Compton , the source of this info., lists is then it's probably right.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone else here , besides Mr Faithfull , going?
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

I will be there too, with a bit mixed expectations for fearing a too tight concert schedule in Montreux to really get going, although I am more optimistic now since I saw that Elvis is following his wife and not the other way round as I had expected.
I've got a ticket in the standing section, so we might meet maybe at the ticket control, I'm wearing my 2007 tour shirt that reads "WAKE ME UP .....with a slap or a kiss", I plan to be there at 7:30, so see you guys there,
Taramasalata
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

25 years ago today....LIVE AID!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Photos of the show are up on the Wiki here:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 3_Montreux

Can anyone provide a set list?
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Sorry for me being a bit late with my concert review, summer is just too wonderful right now to spend too much time on the computer...
It seems that I have been the only one of our board to show up at that Diana/Elvis-family package, with what the couple seem to enjoy their European summer of 2010.
It has been a good concert, which is actually a bit disappointing by Elvis' set up high standards of him performing live... He was in good voice, quite chatty and humorous, looked great, bursting of pride (after being introduced as "one of the most incredible human beings" by Mr. Quincy Jones himself), the problem was mostly that 90 minutes of Elvis is definitely just not enough! So the mixed expectations I had in advance because of the concert schedules at this kind of well-renowned but also kind of predictible festivals were proven true.
Partly also due to that was that I felt quite out of place desperately wanting to yell, scream and shout along with his words amidst an audience in a mixture of devotion, civility and a bit of confusion, as what to think of what took place before their eyes, this guy with some fine clothes and an elegant hat singing mostly bluegrass & country songs....Not that he has a bunch of Top 10-songs in his repertoire, but there wasn't even a Chelsea, a Radio Radio, a Detectives, a Pump, an Accidents, not even an Alison in the songlist, not even thinking of maybe his - in Continental Europe -best known (and least performed)- songs like Veronica, Oliver's Army, She or The other side of summer (what a strange collection actually put into this order!). But the audience did even hardly react a lot to the supposedly better known ones like Everyday I write the book (great version) and I want you as the second and last encore, performed by him & the Sugarcanes as an awesome piece of "strings, fiddle and flute-claustrophobia", one of the best versions of that song I have heard and maybe even more so, as I absolutely hadn't expected that one at this concert.
So Elvis good, the Sugarcanes the same (though sometimes just too many instruments, made me wish a bit the Imposters on stage), the new songs (heard them for the first time, wanna save them til the album gets released) amazing, but everything way too short and the audience not really into what it needs to live through an Elvis concert...He really deserves playing these noble venues like the sold-out Auditorium Stravinski at Montreux, I just wonder sometimes how in the world some of the people in the audience end up in a Costello concert!
Now finally the setlist, as far as I noticed it:
1. Complicated Shadows
2. Blame it on Cain
3. New Amsterdam / You've got to hide your love away (great new arrangement)
4. Good year for the roses (more applause)
5. Condemned Man (I guess....great band performance of a song on its fast way of becoming a new Costello classic!)
6. Red Shoes (first bit of sing-a-long)
7. The Delivery Man
8. Jimmie standing in the rain (what a creative output, amazing!)
9. Slow drag with Josefine (classic, classic, classic)
10. Friend of the devil (most applause to my surprise, I really am NOT a deadhead!)
11. Everyday I write the book
12. Don't lie to me (a bit more of sing-a-long)
13. From Sulphur to Sugarcane
Encore:
14. Part of him you're leaving
15. I want you

Note: Diana was great, seeing her perform for the first time, not only the playing of her and her fantastic (much more than) sidemen, but even more her presence live impressed me a lot and she really seemed so happy to be on that stage playing some of her favourite tunes. I have to admit that she seemed less routined than her husband and that's a praise! Standout track was a stunning cover with lots of latin to it of Tom Waits' Jockey full of Bourbon, terrific, she was so much into the music that she even forgot some of the words to sing (for what she respectfully excused after the song). Jeffrey Douglas on Dobro accompanied the quartet on two songs, one being Dylan's Simple Twist of Fate.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE66F1BU20100716

(extract)

Although fans' purses and bags are inspected at the festival entrance, and people are asked whether they have cameras, some manage to pirate successfully.

At Elvis Costello & the Sugarcanes on July 13, a man sat before a screen in the lobby that projected the concert, quietly but blatantly recording their new song "Jimmie Standing in the Rain" with a handheld video camera. He then used his mobile phone to send Twitter messages and take photos of the musicians.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A video of The Delivery Man can be seen here: http://www.liveatmontreux.ch/ (look for the Elvis Costello thumbnail).
This is good news and means the concert was filmed.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
millaa

Post by millaa »

Most Montreux Jazz Festival performances are filmed and shown on European TV, I've downloaded a fair few. Eagle Rock have released loads over the years.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

sweetest punch wrote:A video of The Delivery Man can be seen here: http://www.liveatmontreux.ch/ (look for the Elvis Costello thumbnail).
That's a cracker. I wonder why they chose that song - not terribly representative of the set, I would think. Is it merely the presence of the electric axe?
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

sweetest punch wrote:A video of The Delivery Man can be seen here: http://www.liveatmontreux.ch/ (look for the Elvis Costello thumbnail).
That was really cool--great camera work--we don't get to see enough video of Elvis playing in such "close detail". Very interesting. Also, that's a very sexy guitar.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Man out of Time

Jerry Douglas has posted his diary from the Sugarcanes' tour on his website here: http://www.jerrydouglas.com/journalDeta ... journal=73

Here is what he has to say about the Montreux Jazz Festival and Mumford and Sons:
"July 13 Montreux Jazz Festival

I have really been looking forward to this one. Those I know who possess any semblance of a Jazz background recognize this to be the European Granddaddy of Jazz festivals, where participation can add weight to one's musical credentials.

Tonight is another of our double bills with Diana Krall and I will have a chance to play a portion of her set. A surprise was the arrival before the show of Quincy Jones, who came to me and said, "we filmed a TV show in the Ryman didn't we?” In my groveling fog, I had forgotten, but he was right. Before the first official show of the newly renovated Ryman Auditorium, I was part of a High Five Productions TV program which was, as I remember, an installment of the show "The Road", and Quincy was one of the producers. Just goes to show what a class act he is and one of the reasons why.
The Montreux Jazz Festival has not been a strictly Jazz festival for many years, but recruits acts on an integrity based system. We are definitely NOT jazz but Elvis has played here seven times. I have always wanted to play here, so was delighted after the show when asked back next year with my own band! We will see about that later.
Diana played first, feeling she was much the quieter act. That is true, but I wondered how the audience would react to our Mod-Billy type of music after seeing a traditional Jazz act. I played on two songs with Diana's band. One was a Buddy Miller tune she says she cannot get out of her head called "Wide River to Cross", and the other a Dylan cover of "A Simple Twist of Fate".
My wondering about how Elvis would be received was relieved after the first song. The audience went nuts, transformed from a reserved crowd to a rock and roll mob. We did three encores and pulled out the Stones' "Happy" for the ending stinger.
My new favorite band, Mumford and Sons, came to see us tonight. I met them at Telluride Bluegrass Festival this year and fully believe they have something special. They come from all over England and have a unique approach as the lead singer and guitar player, Marcus Mumford, also plays kick drum, giving their music a great dynamic range by using it at the appropriate times. Their boundless energy will just wear a crowd completely out!
By the time I had labored through the Sugarcanes' show, knowing I had a long travel day ahead of me, I begged off going out with the Mumford lads that night. To be 25 again!"
MOOT
Man out of Time

Swiss TV station TSR2 are showing 45 minutes of Elvis and the Sugarcanes recorded at the Montreux Jazz Festival last year. The show airs on Sunday 20 March at 12.45am (ie the early hours of Sunday morning). Details here:

http://www.programme-television.org/Pop ... ption.html

TSR2 broadcasts to the Swiss and to Belgium, and may be available in parts of France. Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSR_2

It may be available on some European cable networks or (for all I know) via Satellite. Chances of picking it up outside Europe probably nil.

MOOT
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Here is a torrent for the pro shot HD video of the show:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=92957

Elvis Costello and The Sugarcanes
2010-07-13
Montreux Jazz Festival
Stravinski Auditorium, Montreux Music & Convention Centre
Montreux, Switzerland

singer songwriter / folk / rock 'n' roll

Lineage: HDTV>Dreambox>TS>USB>HDD>TS Doctor(clean/check TS)>tsMuxeR>TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4>BDMV

VIDEO: MPEG2 HD, 16:9 , 720p, 50 fps, 6.90 Mbps
AUDIO: AC3, 48 khz, 448 kbps, 16 bit (BDInfo)

Elvis Costello and The Sugarcanes live at Montreux Jazz festival 2010

Setlist (setlist.fm)

Complicated Shadows (not broadcasted)
Blame It On Cain (not broadcasted)
New Amsterdam / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (not broadcasted)
Good Year For The Roses (not broadcasted)
Condemned Man
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
The Delivery Man
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Slow Drag With Josephine
Friend Of The Devil
Everyday I Write The Book
Don't Lie To Me
Sulphur To Sugarcane

Encores:
That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving (not broadcasted)
I Want You (not broadcasted)

Total run time: 00:45:19

Elvis Costello - guitar, vocals
Jim Lauderdale - guitar, harmony vocals
Jerry Douglas - dobro
Stuart Duncan -fiddle
Mike Compton - mandolin
Dennis Crouch - bass
Jeff Taylor - accordion
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Thanks for that, although I should point out that there is no such word as 'broadcasted'.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:Thanks for that, although I should point out that there is no such word as 'broadcasted'.
True. That is just a cut and paste of what was posted at TTD (i.e., not my mistake) :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some of this is going to turn up in a 3D film -

http://3dff.org/OPENINGNIGHT.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/q ... val-366706

The 3D film, music and interactive fest is moving to Regal Cinemas L.A. Live Stadium 14 when it kicks off Sept. 20.

3DFF, the all-digital 3D Film, Music, and Interactive Festival which is celebrating its fifth anniversary, will have a new home at Regal Cinemas L.A. Live Stadium 14 in downtown Los Angeles when it kicks off Sept. 20. The festival, which runs through Sept. 22, is also scheduling events at the JW Marriott Los Angeles, L.A. LIVE, The Ritz-Carlton Los Angeles, Club Nokia, The Conga Room and The GRAMMY Museum, all located within the L.A. LIVE sports and entertainment district.

The three-day festival, presented by RealD, 3net and LG Electronics, will open Sept. 20 with multiple world premiere red carpet events at the Stadium 14’s Premiere House Theater. They will include the documentary film Experience Montreux in 3D, filmed at the Montreux Jazz Festival, and the thriller Spiders 3D, directed by Tibor Tackács and presented by Millennium Films/Nu Image. The Opening Night Gala event following the Spiders screening will take place at Club Nokia.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

3D Sugarcanes? My word.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Review by Samuel Mumenthaler in Berner Zeitung:

"Elvis, der gut gelaunte Ehemann

Ein Ehepaar in Montreux: Diana Krall und Elvis Costello spielten im selben Programm. Liebesgeflüster gab es nur in den Songs.

Gegensätze ziehen sich an: Da ist die kühle Blonde, die man sich mit ihrem Collier und dem eleganten Sakko zur Not auch als Bankerin an der Zürcher Bahnhofstrasse vorstellen könnte – wenn da nicht die Lederhose wäre. Und da ist der leicht gedrungene Mann mit der Buddy-Holly-Brille, der in seinem zu kleinen Strohhut auch als Pausenkomiker durchgehen würde – wenn da nicht diese leidenschaftliche Stimme und diese waghalsigen Melodien wären.

Diana Krall und Elvis Costello sind ein Paar, und Kralls Ehering ist auf dem Grossbildschirm immer wieder zu sehen, wenn ihre Finger über die Tasten ihres Steinway-Flügels kraxeln wie die Beine einer Spinne. Den Ehebund haben Krall und Costello im Jahr 2003 geschlossen, seit 2006 sind sie Eltern von Zwillingen. Die beiden unterschiedlichen Stars hinterlassen am Montreux Jazz Festival einen so beschwingten Eindruck, wie die Swingin’ Lovers, denen Frank Sinatra einst ein Album widmete.

Begierde und Eifersucht

Es ist ein besonderer Abend: Das Ehepaar steht für einmal auf der gleichen Konzertbühne – allerdings nicht gemeinsam, sondern je mit eigenem Programm. Offensichtlich geturtelt wird hier nicht, man hält sich auch mit verbalen Liebeserklärungen zurück. Dafür strotzen die beiden Setlisten von Liebesliedern, die Krall dezente Gefühlswallungen ermöglichen, während Costello sein Konzert mit «I Want You» beschliesst, seinem von Begierde und Eifersucht getriebenen Opus magnum.

Musikalisch liegen Welten zwischen Kralls urbanem Jazz Chic und Costellos schwelgerischer Hommage an den Cowboy-Sound. Krall swingt sich durch Stride, Bop und Bossa und die Piano spielende Sängerin mit der rauchigen Altstimme gewährt ihrem Begleittrio viel Raum. Bei Costello wechseln sich die Songs seines neuen, gelungenen Countryalbums ab mit Streiflichtern auf das Frühwerk, als der bittersüsse Romantiker noch ein ärgerlicher junger Mann war. Jetzt erinnert Elvis, umringt von seiner exzellenten Nashville-Band mit Geigen, Gitarren, Dobros und Akkordeon von fern an den grossen, tragischen Hank Williams.

Spiel ohne Stil-Grenzen

Gegensätze ziehen sich an. Das gilt seit je auch für das Montreux Jazz Festival, wo Hip-Hop-Hoffnungen neben Blues-Veteranen programmiert werden und wo dem Spiel mit den Stilen keine Grenzen gesetzt sind. Damit dies nicht in Beliebigkeit kippt, braucht es Leidenschaft, Humor – und eine echte Liebe zur Musik. Die lässt auch das Paar Krall/Costello nicht vermissen: In Montreux schwärmt Krall von Chick Corea und Quincy Jones, während Costello die Beatles und Grateful Dead covert. Auch wenn sich die Eheleute an diesem Abend nicht gemeinsam auf der Bühne zeigen oder gar «cheek to cheek» tanzen, wie Krall in ihrem Finale schmachtet: Liebe ist, wenn zwei einen gemeinsamen Nenner finden. Musik ist da sicher nicht die schlechteste Wahl."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"Elvis, the good-humored husband

A couple in Montreux: Diana Krall and Elvis Costello played in the same program. Liebesgeflüster it was only in the songs.

Opposites attract: Since the cool blonde who could be thought of as a banker at the Zurich Station Street with its elegant necklace and the jacket if need be - if it were not for the leather pants. And because of the slightly stocky man with the Buddy Holly glasses who would go through in his too small straw hat as a break comedian - if there was not this passionate voice and this daring melodies would.

Diana Krall and Elvis Costello are a pair, and Krall's wedding ring can be seen on the big screen again and again when her fingers over the keys of her Steinway grand piano scramble like the legs of a spider. The marriage covenant have closed in 2003, Krall and Costello, since 2006 they are the parents of twins. The two different Stars leave at the Montreux Jazz Festival such a lively impression of how the Swingin 'Lovers, where Frank Sinatra once devoted an album.

Lust and jealousy

It is a special night: The couple is even on the same concert stage - but not together, but each with their own program. Obviously geturtelt is not here, you hold back with verbal declarations of love. But the two are full setlists of love songs that allow Krall subtle surges of emotion, while Costello his concert with "I Want You" decides its driven by lust and jealousy magnum opus.

Musically world of difference between urban jazz Krall's chic and Costello's voluptuous homage to the cowboy sound. Krall swings by stride, bop and bossa and the piano-playing singer with the smoky contralto granted her accompanying trio much space. In Costello, the songs of his new, successful country album alternates with side lights on the early work, as the bittersweet romantic was still an angry young man. Now remembers Elvis, surrounded by its excellent Nashville band with violins, guitars, accordion and Dobros from afar to the great, tragic Hank Williams.

Game without style boundaries

Opposites attract. This is true since each also for the Montreux Jazz Festival, where hip-hop hopes next to blues veterans be programmed and where the match with the styles are no limits. So that this does not tilt in arbitrariness, it takes passion, humor - and a genuine love for music. The leaves and the pair Krall / Costello not miss: In Montreux Krall says of Chick Corea and Quincy Jones, while Costello, the Beatles and Grateful Dead covert. Even if the couple is not together show that evening on stage or even "cheek to cheek" dance like Krall languishes in its final: Love is when two find a common denominator. Music is as certainly not the worst choice."

MOOT
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Costello in Montreux on July 13 2010

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEY ... tries%2A=0

Includes -

Slow Drag With Josephine