UK tour 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
The imposter

Re: UK tour 2010

Post by The imposter »

Go to see them in Spain or Portugal. You won't regret it.
Farmed Horses

Post by Farmed Horses »

Hello.

Really hoping to see EC this year. Is it likely there will be a London show?

Also, what sort of sets is he playing at present? Is it a mixture of new and old songs or is he still promoting the Sacred/Profane album?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome!

Talking about the Liverpool show Elvis said-

“We’ve got fiddle, mandolin, double bass, accordion,” he lists off the instruments. “There’s no drums but we don’t need them. There are three and four-part vocal harmonies. People have said it’s a bluegrass band. I don’t think it is. It’s broader than that.

“I play electric guitar on a couple of numbers, and we do songs of mine from right through my career.”

As regards a London show, its seems likely that if there is one it will be part of Richard Thompson's Meltdown event.
Farmed Horses

Post by Farmed Horses »

Thanks.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Ok, I've changed my trip! I'm in London from June 15 to 29. Now, anyone who has a decent ticket for the Sugarcanes Liverpool gig that they can't use, please get in touch via jeremy@sevenshellsmedia.com ! I'm going to see this band if it bankrupts me!
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I've also had a thought. EC seems to have a Hard Rock Calling shaped whole in his UK tour schedule. Perhaps a spot on the Saturday evening? And McCartney's headling that night, so maybe they can break out a version of 'Pad Paws and Claws'.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:I've also had a thought. EC seems to have a Hard Rock Calling shaped whole in his UK tour schedule. Perhaps a spot on the Saturday evening? And McCartney's headling that night, so maybe they can break out a version of 'Pad Paws and Claws'.

McCartney hasn't announced any support as yet where I think the other nights Stevie Wonder etc have. Would the Sugarcanes be able to carry off playing a big park like Hyde Park? Though I'm not a lover of the SPS album Im sure a lovely summer's day, a few cold beers and the setlist they were playing in earlier concerts would be quality. I was thinking of going to see Macca As I've never seen him before (other than being in Hyde Park when The Beatles took the 'Beatles for Sale' Photos but I was only 3 so I don't remember that) so Elvis being there would be a massive bonus.

Think the Meltdown looks favourite though
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

So it is true..Only 1 Sugarcanes date in the UK. I thought it was a mistake or lack of info in the early tour dates announced. It seems strange as obviously Elvis will be in the country in the days before (playing solo) and just 2 days later the Sugarcanes play in Isreal, before returning to Europe. Still there is an enticing looking gap over the weekend 25-27 June

I'm now looking nervously at the Spanish dates as there's no mention in the wiki so far of the accompaniment. I assumed it would be with the Sugarcanes..I've seen Elvis solo many times but I'm anxious to see this band.

Must be due to commitments of the other band members..Anybody know any other plausible reason?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

No, he's with the Sugarcanes in Cardiff according to my Ticketmaster info, and I presume he is for all dates. That early report was probably wrong, and you can bet he'll be Meltdowning. You never know - he could be with Macca too.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:
Jeremy Dylan wrote:I've also had a thought. EC seems to have a Hard Rock Calling shaped whole in his UK tour schedule. Perhaps a spot on the Saturday evening? And McCartney's headling that night, so maybe they can break out a version of 'Pad Paws and Claws'.

McCartney hasn't announced any support as yet where I think the other nights Stevie Wonder etc have. Would the Sugarcanes be able to carry off playing a big park like Hyde Park? Though I'm not a lover of the SPS album Im sure a lovely summer's day, a few cold beers and the setlist they were playing in earlier concerts would be quality. I was thinking of going to see Macca As I've never seen him before (other than being in Hyde Park when The Beatles took the 'Beatles for Sale' Photos but I was only 3 so I don't remember that) so Elvis being there would be a massive bonus.

Think the Meltdown looks favourite though
All three headliners have been announced (Pearl Jam, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney) and some of the other main stage acts, but there's a lot still to be announced.

I'm sure the Sugarcanes could pull it off - the shows I've seen footage of/heard recordings of seem to be incredibly high energy. Whether the festival promoter wants to put a bluegrass outfit on a pop/rock festival is another matter. Any chance the Imposters will be in town?

I'm hoping any of these people will end up on the bill:
EC
Paul Weller
Kaiser Chiefs
Franz Ferdinand
Lily Allen
Ringo Starr
The Who
Tommy Emmanuel
David Bowie
U2
The White Stripes
The Zutons
Ray Davies
Led Zeppelin
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
The Boss
Jeff Beck

I realise some of those are a little more likely than others, but all would be welcome additions to the lineup.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Dunno... All seems a bit sketchy to me.

I have a wish list too :)

Everyone seems to take it as read that he will be at Meltdown.

I was hoping to see McCartney on spectacle too, as widely anticipated, but that didn't happen.

Does Elvis still have a beef with Macca over "That Day is Done" ?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The imposter wrote:Everyone seems to take it as read that he will be at Meltdown.
They haven't even announced the dates for Meltdown yet, so who can tell if it'll be on the same time EC's in England? Even if he did play it, there's no reason he couldn't play HRC too.
Although I've already got a ticket for the Liverpool show (thank you eBay), I would love to see him at the festival too. I'm 80% going for McCartney, as I've seen Wonder and PJ before, but the more the merrier!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://nhletsgo.com/2010/03/31/jerry-do ... rformance/

Jerry Douglas-

(extract)

After the New Hampshire shows, which kick off Douglas’ touring season, he’s heading off for a month of touring with Elvis Costello and another tour with Alison Krauss.

Ms Krauss' tour details-

http://www.alisonkrauss.com/site.php?content=tour
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The Meltdown lineup has just been announced - EC is on the bill, playing Royal Festival Hall on June 20.
http://meltdown.southbankcentre.co.uk/2 ... -thompson/
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Man out of Time wrote:At the risk of stating the obvious, Richard Thompson is curating the Meltdown festival at the Southbank Centre in London this year.

EC is a former Meltdown curator. Meltdown runs from Friday 11th - Sunday 20th June. EC plays Symphony Hall in Birmingham on Monday 21 June, so my money would be on a Meltdown appearance on either the 19th or 20th of June probably without the Sugarcanes. This might be his only London date(s). Watch this space...
EC (solo) now confirmed for 20 June :D :

http://meltdown.southbankcentre.co.uk/2 ... -thompson/

TIckets go on sale to South Bank Members at 10am on Wednesday 14 April, and to everyone else at 10am the following day.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

This falls right smack in the middle of my London trip, so if I can get a good seat, I might double my EC quotient!
Farmed Horses

Post by Farmed Horses »

How's his voice at the moment?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

He sounded good last night -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjJbbHOpieY
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:He sounded good last night -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjJbbHOpieY
Sounds great. I'll be at Purchase this week with my recorder.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

Another date>>>>?

-Wed 30-Jun-10 19:30 Elvis Costello Gateshead The Sage

On Sale From 09:00 21-May
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

terryhurley wrote:Another date>>>>?

-Wed 30-Jun-10 19:30 Elvis Costello Gateshead The Sage

On Sale From 09:00 21-May
Tickets: https://secure.ticketline.co.uk/tickets ... 2010-06-30
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Hyde Park supporting Macca is starting to look a big possibility. I have been looking on the Hard Rock Calling page on Facebook and even a few on there have started to say Elvis could be the support. Although The Eagles, Noel Gallagher and David Bowie get a mention amongst others. Now that would be some show.

I think the bill is being announced next week.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Hyde Park supporting Macca is starting to look a big possibility. I have been looking on the Hard Rock Calling page on Facebook and even a few on there have started to say Elvis could be the support. Although The Eagles, Noel Gallagher and David Bowie get a mention amongst others. Now that would be some show.

I think the bill is being announced next week.
Mike Compton has a London date for June 27: http://mikecompton.net/calendar.php
So it seems to be true!!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Deportee

Post by Deportee »

If the 27th is a London date, I'm still hoping against hope that it's just coincidence that it's the same day as McCartney and it's a proper Sugercanes gig - nothing on at Shepherds Bush that night!
Partick Thistle - The Greatest Thing