My Elvis and Cynthia Lennon story

Pretty self-explanatory
sooper8

My Elvis and Cynthia Lennon story

Post by sooper8 »

Hi All,

I thought I would share this story with you...

I went to Manchester Apollo with a big Elvis fan friend of mine, to see him play with the Confederates , and I am guessing it was somewhere around '88? I may have the ticket stub somewhere and will photograph it sometime.

Anyway, it was a freezing cold night and we had got there early and we waited round the side at the stage door.
After a while a kind familiar, classy looking woman came around the back and politely taped on the door, and the bouncer opened it and said 'yeah?'
She said "I think I will be on the guest list?"...he says 'what's your name?" ...she replies with just 'Cynthia'.......10 seconds go by, "no sorry, you have to go round the front"
And off she went...sure enough it was Cynthia Lennon.

I seem to recall Elvis dedicating a song , maybe 'Hide Your Love Away' to an old friend during the set? Now, I suppose I could go and check out these facts of this story; I'm intrigued to know if my memory is correct but I can't be too bothered.

But maybe someone could help with something I have always thought to be true but I don't know why I thought this...(maybe because of this link in my mind at this gig in Manchester?)

Is the old sunburst Gibson acoustic guitar he plays on stage one of John Lennon's? I seem to also remember a comment by EC at a gig about it being a 'gift'?

Regards
Jem
Jeremy Dylan

Re: My Elvis and Cynthia Lennon story

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

It's certainly the same model that Lennon played, but I would think he might mention it more often if that were so (especially when he plays it on YGTHYLA). The pickup setup he uses with it is unique to him, so I would imagine it has at least been modified if it was Lennon's.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

John and George got identical Gibson acoustics in 1963, but John used both onstage. One was stolen that year, so John got a later model as a replacement. That was was eventually painted psychedelic, then stripped to its natural finish. That one was on loan recently to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame from Yoko. The one Elvis plays is the same model, and certainly not one of John's (unless it was the one stolen in 1963, which is unlikely).
sooper8

Post by sooper8 »

I think the only reason I ever thought that was that I am sure he said it was a gift from a 'dear friend' once on stage.
Maybe the Cynthia link cemented that myth in mind.

I do recall going backstage after the Manchester Apollo gig and EC was asked what he thought of the comparisons to John made by the media since writing with Paul and he wasn't very happy and
he said "why don't they just draw a fuckin' target on my back, you know?"