Elvis & The Sugarcanes, New York City, Nov. 1, 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
Lester Burnham

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, New York City, Nov. 1, 2010

Post by Lester Burnham »

Woah, what's going on with 'Josephine' here? Sounds like someone/something's way out of tune.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:This interview is brilliant!
Well, EC's half is, anyway.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

wardo68 wrote:
Jeremy Dylan wrote:This interview is brilliant!
Well, EC's half is, anyway.
I wasn't expecting much from the "Pete Thompson" guy. But it's the funniest interview I've seen from Costello in ages.

We're now in the next performance segment.

One Bell Ringing
Slow Drag
Jimmie
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Pete Thomas is taking it easy today!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lovin ' this - I should be gone to bed but I'm all hopped up from a epic Robert Plant show in Dublin tonight.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

And now the audio has dropped out. Bugger.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

He just told the Hollies story - hole in sleeve etc.......
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Stuart Duncan's a little high in the mix.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Spell That You Cast
Part of Him
Ransom

'Hit it, Jeff!'
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

National Ransom - woof! Stuart Duncan seems to be playing Marc Ribot's part, and he's doing a ripping job with it.

Encoring now with All These Strangers.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

great night. best part was meeting jmm & crew. transferring now; in tomorrow's mail; a BIG pleasure to meet Jack!
Last edited by bronxapostle on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:great night. best part was meeting jmm and crew. transferring now; in tomorrow's mail....my BIG pleasure to meet Jack!
You're a lucky man to be part of that intimate show, ba. It was very cool to watch live streaming. The stream audio was very good. Not lossless, of couse, so I can't torrent. I'll put it on MediaFire for those interested.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:great night. best part was meeting jmm and crew. transferring now; in tomorrow's mail....my BIG pleasure to meet Jack!
You're a lucky man to be part of that intimate show, ba. It was very cool to watch live streaming. The stream audio was very good. Not lossless, of couse, so I can't torrent. I'll put it on MediaFire for those interested.

so you need mine doc? should i eliminate the "low" interview parts or just leave them as separate (removable) tracks???
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

so you need mine doc? should i eliminate the "low" interview parts or just leave them as separate (removable) tracks???
Yours is lossless - so it's welcome in the torrent world. Separate the interviews as tracks. Mail it and I'll post it. Thanks!
docinwestchester

Tonight's show:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sv6gm6nsfg2w0

These are FLAC files. I'll do mp3 next.
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

docinwestchester wrote:Tonight's show:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sv6gm6nsfg2w0

These are FLAC files. I'll do mp3 next.
This is awesome Doc! And so fast too. Huge thanks!

When you get a chance, can you upload a checksum too?
docinwestchester

EarlManchester wrote:

When you get a chance, can you upload a checksum too?
Done
docinwestchester

Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Wow! How cool was that? To see them all play like that in such an incredibly tiny space--holy shit! The Sugarcanes on record are fantastic, but the Sugarcanes live are beyond belief. Jerry Douglas is so good it's like he's from another planet and Jeff Taylor was totally wailing on "National Ransom". Man! Plus, Pete? Wow! Elvis was in a fine mood. The whole band looked like they were really having fun. Loved the part about the "pulled pork sandwich"! It's really neat that Greene Space is set up with those huge windows onto the street--I watched the rehearsal for a few minutes through the glass before I got in line to go inside.

Ba, was that you in front of me with the recording rig built into your hat?

And by the way, who were those dudes over to the left side--they looked like 70's era rock stars who were somewhat worse for wear?
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
jmm

Post by jmm »

Fun, intimate show. Nice to hear only new material including Poor Borrowed Dress. Reminded me of the show with Rosanne Cash a few years back in some ways -- totally different in others

EC was running circles around Leonard Lopate in the interview section - reading his questions from cards before they were asked, etc. He backed off a bit after LL asked him if people did that to him on Spectacle. Bit of the same stories being told this go around but when the questions are the same that's sure understandable. Has to be frustrating not to be asked better questions some times. EC commented a number of times on the fact that the street level studio is all windows onto the street and he was playing to the cabs and buses going by - luckily no such distractions for us in the crowd

It really is amazing to see the quality of the musicians in the Sugarcanes - they just let it flow and are having fun at the highest levels. Pete was much more prominent than at Hardly Strictly and really hit it on a couple of songs - wonderful to hear. You can tell they are very serious and seriously enjoying themselves

A great pleasure to meet BA (and his companion) after all these years of posting back and forth here - a cherry to a sundae of a night (arrived home to the instructions for National Ransom / Ransack download too!)
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

An audience recording is available on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=329469
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

Such an amazing show last night!! Can't believe I was lucky enough to see EC and the 'Canes in such an intimate setting from front row!! Granted, I was all the way on the left side of the stage sitting next to Elvis' guitar tech, but was absolutely happy happy throughout the entire experience! And to top off an incredible evening I got to meet Pete Thomas (for the first time) and Elvis (for a second time). I just can't express how much I love these guys and their music! Can't wait to see them again tonight!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:great night. best part was meeting jmm & crew. transferring now; in tomorrow's mail; a BIG pleasure to meet Jack!

hey jmm...can you kindly upload here your wife's best pic or two from the show please???
krm

Post by krm »

docinwestchester wrote:Tonight's show on mp3:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n3bf5g6r2ucfu

wonderful - big big thanks!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ew-album/1

Last night in NYC: Elvis Costello previews his new album

Whitney Matheson

Nov. 2 '10

Last night I was very fortunate to see Elvis Costello play a few songs from his new record, National Ransom, which arrives in stores today.

He and his six-piece band, the Sugarcanes, crowded onto the stage at WNYC's The Greene Space for a 10-song set and short Q&A with host Leonard Lopate. (It will be posted online Wednesday.) Costello said it was the first time the guys had played the songs "at full speed.

"When you go make a record, you get to eat some pulled pork between takes," he joked.

National Ransom was cut in Nashville in 11 days, and it's tinged with the sweet sounds of bluegrass and early 20th century tunes. While Costello has experimented with different genres before, it was still entertaining to see him sing alongside a fiddle, an accordion, a mandolin, a double bass and a dobro.

"At different times in your life, you'll turn to different styles of performance," he told us. "Sometimes I move to other types of music."