National Ransom, We Hardly Knew Ye

Pretty self-explanatory
Jeremy Dylan

Re: National Ransom, We Hardly Knew Ye

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I ran this from start to finish unintentionally yesterday. I wanted to hear the title track and just let it run through to I Hope. I only grows in my appreciation with each listen. The ballads in particular are growing on me.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:I ran this from start to finish unintentionally yesterday. I wanted to hear the title track and just let it run through to I Hope. I only grows in my appreciation with each listen. The ballads in particular are growing on me.
Totally agree. I took a little break from NR, but then found I was longing for it and went back to it a couple of days ago. I just keep loving it more and more. It's an amazing piece of work. I'm going to say it's his best ever. And I think it might also be my favorite ever. :shock: Didn't think anything could take Get Happy's place in my heart, but NR has done it.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

It's just so... complete. It rocks, it rolls and it's got some of the tenderest ballads in recent memory. All These Strangers has been jumping out me lately - 'Mistreat me darling and I might just disappear...'
jardine

Post by jardine »

ypsi, i'm glad someone's said it out loud. I agree. I think it is the best thing he has done...
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

For myself, NR is definitely the highlight of an eccentric previous decade. But it fails to supplant "Get Happy", "Imperial Bedroom" and "Trust" as favorites. It makes my top ten, as albums go, but there are too many trifle songs to ignore and, as PD says, that "sh*tty" title song is extremely forgettable. But, yet again, that is just me listening and digesting.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

jardine wrote:ypsi, i'm glad someone's said it out loud. I agree. I think it is the best thing he has done...
Yup.
paysfortheprivilege

Post by paysfortheprivilege »

The Magnificent Octopus! (I'd bump if I knew how)
Feck
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Right now I'm loving Dr. Watson, I Presume - just so hauntingly beautiful. This live version is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss6mwv7bWfY

I'm putting together an audio version of "Paying Off The National Ransom" which will include all the tracks on the DVD, plus other radio appearances and the WNYC Greene Space show. It will have to go on Demonoid since most of the tracks are lossy.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

docinwestchester wrote:Right now I'm loving Dr. Watson, I Presume - just so hauntingly beautiful. This live version is amazing:

I love "Dr. Watson" too, but I find this particular version a little tough to get through. They're stumbling through the entire thing.
I'm putting together an audio version of "Paying Off The National Ransom" which will include all the tracks on the DVD, plus other radio appearances and the WNYC Greene Space show. It will have to go on Demonoid since most of the tracks are lossy.
Looking forward to this!
docinwestchester

After listening to NR today (which sounds better than ever - it's getting better with age) it reminded me of this thread. While I'm very excited about the Revolver tour - I'm going to 3 of the 4 NYC area shows - it seems like a blatant move to recoup lost time and money spent on making and promoting the album. It's obvious that a full fledged NR tour with the Canes plus Pete and Steve would be expensive and probably not make a whole lot of money. But artistically it would have been a success. No doubt.
jardine

Post by jardine »

just listened to "side one"--n.r., to bullets--and i found that lovely sweet spot between these nice speakers i've got. what a fabulous sound. it is just luscious in song after song. i LOVE five small words, those three electric guitars, and davey's solid bass and those woo--oo-oo notes at the end. and hung the moon as a sonic production is just perfect. smooth, rich, acoustic/wooden sounding, and that low clarinet...

still think this thing is one of his best and, as a few folks have said in this thread, it seems to be getting better!
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

docinwestchester wrote:Right now I'm loving Dr. Watson, I Presume - just so hauntingly beautiful. This live version is amazing:

Oh yes please do.
docinwestchester

watercamp wrote:

Oh yes please do.
In the works. I just got my computer back from the repair shop and it's back up to full speed. Yeah!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

FAVEHOUR wrote: Does anyone else regret the fact that, unlike the songs on SP & S, unlike most of the songs in EC's canon, most of the songs from NR may never get the chance to mutate, expand, and evolve through a series of live shows centered around them?
Over on Facebook, Elvis Costello has reposted the link to National Ransom #2 on YouTube. The comment above the link says:

" "National Ransom No.2" Wherever good records are not sold"

Clearly EC is thinking along the same lines as most forum members in regard to National Ransom the album, but yet, National Ransom the song has "mutated" and continues to grow through being played live. Who is to say that Elvis won't revisit some of the other tracks on the album too..

MOOT
migdd

Post by migdd »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Imposters take a stab at some of the NR songs during their upcoming shows. Would love to hear their versions of Church Underground, Stations of the Cross amongst others.
krm

Post by krm »

The medley National Ransom/You belong to me is so obvious that it probably won´t happen. will! won´t! will? won´t.......
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I'm not sure which of the National Ransom threads is the best home for this, but... I finally completed my review of it for my blog:

http://everybodysdummy.blogspot.com/201 ... ansom.html

Let the fur fly!
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Can't really fault that review, even though I like Dr. Watson, I Presume more than you do.