Leonard Cohen

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Leonard Cohen

Post by ice nine »

I was in Barnes & Noble the other day and I ran across a greatest hits CD of his. I've heard he is good and I like his genre of music, but I have not heard any of his stuff (I don't think) Is this worth buying?

Thanks for the input.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Leonard Cohen is one of the greatest singer/songwriters of all time. Both best-of discs are good, but practically all of his albums are loaded with gems and usually in the bargain bin price range. His self-titled album, Songs of Love & Hate, I'm Your Man and 10 New Songs are really good starting places. There is also an excellent two disc retrospective, The Essential Leonard Cohen, that is well worth springing for.
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

If you're wary of getting any of Cohen's discs...maybe try the tribute cd that was floating around a few years ago...

I have that...some really good covers..

That was the disc that made me take a better listen....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I love Leonard Cohen, but the only album I own is his first one on vinyl. I brorowed that Essential 2CD set for a while, and it seemed like a good sampler, though it doesn't give you all of the good stuff.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

This is one for the "celebrity encounters at one remove" type thread.

I used to work for a guy who claims to have known him in his college days at McGill U.

I also once spoke with a Chabadnik rabbi who said he used to trade Hassidic stories for Zen parables with Cohen.

"I'm Your Man" is a great record.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

There's a new Cohen album out by MOJO magazine...an introduction disk, so that seems like your best bet.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Thanks for the input. I will definitely pick up something by him.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain