the world missed it

Pretty self-explanatory
billyboy2674

the world missed it

Post by billyboy2674 »

all this useless beauty.to this day I am still asking myself why it didnt sell enough for gasoline.Such a beautiful record....perfectly fluent and so well structured featuring some of the best vocals E.C has ver recorded.I personally cant find a fault in it and wonder what may have contributed for the lack of recognition.It almost caused E.C to retire.Cant say I blame him.Anybody out there have an opinion on what caused the downfall?lol :roll:
-let me tell you about her-
hush now,I've said too much.......
martinfoyle

Re: the world missed it

Post by martinfoyle »

billyboy2674 wrote:all this useless beauty.to this day I am still asking myself why it didnt sell enough for gasoline.Such a beautiful record....perfectly fluent and so well structured featuring some of the best vocals E.C has ver recorded.I personally cant find a fault in it and wonder what may have contributed for the lack of recognition.It almost caused E.C to retire.Cant say I blame him.Anybody out there have an opinion on what caused the downfall?lol :roll:
This was EC's first project without Jake Rivera as manager. As plenty of acts over the years have shown, e.g. The Smiths, without a good manager you have no hope of commercial success. Its that simple. Still Elvis doesn't appear to mind, he'll go on doing interesting albums, just dont expect to him to have any mainstream successs. Which is a pity, since, imo, North should be reaching the same people that so enthusiasticly lapped up Norah Jones fine album.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hi Billy...where are you on the planet?

I think everyone here, predictably, loves this record, particularly the reissue, but if any of EC's stuff receives bad reactions it's generally due to him being tarred with the brush of 'new wave bitter punk rock'. Similar to the reaction North got, people generally look at artists crossing in to new fields with suspicion.

I personally think that ATUB is amazing, if you look at the range of song styles and artists he wrote the songs for, it shows the man's true artistry.
billyboy2674

thx for the answers

Post by billyboy2674 »

to both of you. :)
laughing-I'm in the united states(chicago,ill)to be more exact.
I discovered elvis in Puerto Rico-of all places.
I'm a musician and composer,singer and totally in awe of elvis costello's many talents.I hear he's also acting now as well as writing.His voice has also quadrupled in range,emotion and overall appeal in the recent years.
Shows that growing old is only a matter of choice sometimes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Actually, we don't all love ATUB.

Possibly my least favorite "good" EC album. (I.e., better than Kojak Variety, Punch the Clock and MUCH, MUCH better than Goodbye Cruel World). A little wall-papery/hookless for my taste. But "Why Can't a Man Stand Alone?" is pure genius.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
billyboy2674

the only e.c album

Post by billyboy2674 »

that hasnt formed a stranglehold on me(at least not yet)is punch the clock.I have no idea why-I suppose it's just a matter of taste.(or lack of it)
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well i'm very fond of this album and it always has plenty of playing time on my hi-fi. There are some outstanding songs and the title track of the album alone justifies the price of buying it.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Part of the beauty of Mr. Costello is there is no definitive Elvis Costello album. Different people on here consider different albums his finest work. I believe this is a testament to his songwriting/musicianship.

Welcome to the group Billy.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
billyboy2674

Post by billyboy2674 »

thx ice-for the welcome. :D