region in France. In California they call this a
Meritage, in Washington it's just called great. The
color reminds me of the Elvis Costello song "Blood and
Chocolate" because it looks like a mix of both. The
nose is all elegance with black currants, eucalyptus,
grenadine and red Twizzlers. The mouth feel is full,
smooth and impressive without too many tannins and
full flavors. The finish is the longest and most well
balanced of the day and has me craving a good steak.
-------------------------------------------------------

This song mis-identification is understandable - I
regularly give songs other names when I`m playing them
without having a track listing to hand. Indeed the
first two verses of Uncomplicated are uncannily
relevant to this wine -

Blood and Chocolate
I hope you're satisfied what you have done
You think it's over now
But we've only just begun

I asked for water
And they gave me rose' wine
A horse that knows arithmetic
And a dog that tells your fortune
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

The nose is all elegance with black currants, eucalyptus,
grenadine and red Twizzlers.
:shock: Eh?????

This guy must have had some '...Dust' before he drunk down his B&C!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Hope it tastes better than blood and chocolate. . .
bobster

Post by bobster »

I love the way wine people write -- "reminscent of apples and cinnimon." or "chocolate and black cherries" Then I drink the damn wine, and I'm dissapointed when all it tastes like is #$@#$# wine!

I'm surprised it took this long....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I must say that sounds damn good to me... I like the desriptions that include smells and tastes, it's the ones that say "This wine is like a naughty puppy, cowering irresistably under the table in anticipation of a dressing down..." that get me.

I have learned to love some complex and unusual wine in the past year, thanks to an extraordinary pal of mine...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I love wine. I drink it everyday. We go to tastings and wine dinners, but I'm not a wine snob. I just love to experience it. I love some expensive wines, but for the most part we just keep a lot of moderate priced wine around. That way, if I make a really good hamburger or something and I still want a glass of wine, I don't have to feel bad about opening an inexpensive bottle.

Sometimes I can smell and taste all the things the reviewers mention, and sometimes I can't. :?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The more I get set in my ways, the more I buy wine only from Spain or Chile, they're the ones I love most. Chile for its class and reliability, Spain for all the associations, and for the classic vanilla and strawberries tastes the tempranillo grape gives you, and for the exceptionally high consistency of quality. I'll also get stuff from France and Italy, but it's generally more hit and miss. I also love all fortified wines, good sherry especially, and brandy too.

Nothing like a bit of 'vin extraodinaire' to make life more worth living.

I remember Oz Clarke once comparing a tough Portuguese red to a feral beast crawling through the wet undergrowth. There was a time there in the early 90s when he and Jilly Goolden would try and outdo each other for sheer absurdity. Funny for a while, then just nauseating.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Quote from the amazing I'm Alan Partridge...

Waiter: Will you be having wine with your meal?

Tony: Not for me.

Alan: No, no. [Sighs] All this wine nonsense! You get all these wine people, don’t you? Wine this, wine that. Let’s have a bit of red, let’s have a bit of white. Ooh, that’s a snazzy bouquet. Oh, this smells of, I don’t know, basil. Sometimes you just want to say, sod all this wine, just give me a pint of… mineral water.

Tony: I don’t think wine’s an elitist thing anymore, you can get good wine in Tesco’s now. I’d love to make a genuinely popular wine programme.

Alan: Can I just shock you? I like wine. Despite what I just said earlier. At any one time I have nine bottles of wine in my house.

Tony: Really?

Alan: Interesting fact.

Tony: Well it’s my weakness I’m afraid. I’ve got a cellar.

Alan: So have I. There’s no wine in it, just a couple of bikes, some smokeless fuel, and an old bag of cement. Gone hard.
E.C. Lover

Post by E.C. Lover »

I work for a Fine wine Wholesale company and we represent the Andrew Will wines. They are fabulous wines but I never thought to use any Elvis metaphors to sell anything before. I think I might make a game of it, There actually is another Elvis-phile on staff. We could really annoy our co-workers if we start to describe all of our wines in Costello-speak.
"I knew the wine had turned when it's aroma became reminecent of 'Pills and Soap'"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

'This is a real Brilliant Mistake of a wine' ... maybe not!
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

"The white has an Uncomplicated undertone, reminiscent of Chewing Gum, but a lilting hint of Pills and Soap help to Pump It Up and keep it from being So Like Candy. The red, with the notes of Sweet Pear and Poisoned Rose that have become All the Rage this season, is better suited for an afternoon spent Watching the Detectives than a night of Talking in the Dark. Still, one should give in to Temptation and sample both wines if the Opportunity presents itself, though overindulgence might lead to a morning of migraines and 20% Amnesia."