Creative Influences: Obvious and Obscure

Pretty self-explanatory
Mr. Average

Creative Influences: Obvious and Obscure

Post by Mr. Average »

In a recent thread, I reprised the opinion that "Distorted Angel" is directly influenced by Paul Weller (formerly of the Jam and Style Council). Give a listen to Paul's first two solo efforts, and it will be difficult to chalk up the music and the vocal intonations of Distorted Angel and Wellers solo sound to mere coincidence.

Besides the obvious Philly Soul and Motown influences of the Get Happy/Trust era, I found the Rhino Reissue liner notes to be very entertaining in directly attributing certain sounds to certain influences. For example:

Squeeze (obviously).
Reference to Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders "Brass in Pocket" from their first, still great album.
Steely Dan (a reluctant admission in the Get Happy liners to Katy Lied, my #2 Steely Dan record).
...and my favorite and most surprising, a tip-o-the-hat to the drum work of Richie Haywood of Little Feat, one of the most misunderstood rock bands of history.

Again, with recognition to the heavy Motown/Philly Soul artists, who are some others that Elvis has readily identified as having a profound influence on his sound, and/or the sound of the Attractions/Imposters.

Disqualified for naming Nick Lowe.

Quick Cliff Claven "Little Known Fact" re: Little Feat:
Many moons ago, Little Feat released the record "Time Loves a Hero" concurrently with Weather Reports "Mr. Gone". Both had absolutely stupendous songs, but Little Feat surprised many with a tune entitled "Day at the the Dog Races"...an instrumental masterpiece that gave pause for recognition by the editors of the then prestigious Jazz periodic "Downbeat".

In the same Downbeat issue, the two aforementioned albums (Mr. Gone [WR] and Time Loves a Hero [LF]) were reviewed. Hard core jazz enthusiasts considered the review of a Little Feat album to be sheer blasphemy. Ironically, the Little Feat album, on the strength of the very complex "Day at the Dog Races", achieved a stronger positive review higher and rating (3 Stars) then did the Josef Zawinul/Weather Report record (one Star). Zawinul went nuts, and wrote the editors as published in the following months letters, stating "my band is incapable of making a one star record"

But I digress. I am interested in trying to dig deeper into our hero's influences, so if you have direct evidence, or a strong hypothesis, post here for all, so we can build a little "Muse Mosaic" of our hero. Later, we can run the same poll but with consideration to Elvis Costello 'downstream'...his influence on others.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

In the MAIT liner notes, he says...
Listening now to these blatant imitations of various American singers and songwriters is like looking at embarrasing old photographs. I hadn't found my own voice. However you might be able to tell which records I had in my collection. I certainly learned quite a bit while attempting to copy Randy Newman, Hoagy Carmichael, John Prine, Lowell George, The Band, and many others. It was just part of my apprenticeship.
and also in the CD interview with Pete Doggett, EC says..

some of my singing early on sounded like Van, because he was one of the people I listened to constantly. The two people I liked singing most were Van and Rick Danko... and Georgie Fame, but I don't sound anything like Georgie Fame! The only track I'm in danger of him on is on KV, and it's because it's a Mose Allison song, and it's hard to get away from something of that delivery when you sing a Mose Allison song.
Last edited by laughingcrow on Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

David Ackles, http://www.mathie.demon.co.uk/da/ , was a big influence on EC as well.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Dylan and Bruce were obvious influences. Imagewise, it's interesting... he appears to have gone for the nerd image early on - very Buddy Holly, though I'm not sure how consciously Holly played on that. This image would serve to highlight the subversiveness of the songs, against the kind of repressed conditioning (eg religious, perhaps working or lower middle class) that many would've still been subject to. It wasn't that intense on MAIT, but was really brought out with TYM, Armed Forces and beyond.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Elvis wears his influences on his sleeve, and never fails to mention his musical influences.

A great example of this was found in his induction speech for the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame.

"Franz Schubert
Lennon/McCartney
Rodgers/Hart
Strummer/Jones
Difford/Tilbrook
Holland/Dozier/Holland
Randy Newman
Brian Wilson
Gram Parsons
Dusty Springfield
Georgie Fame
Curtis Mayfield
Dan Penn
Charles Mingus
Frank Sinatra
Sonny Boy Williamson
Tom Waits
George Jones
David Ackles
Van Morrison
Rick Danko

And most of all... Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I love that he names John Prine as an influence, but I don't really hear it, if ya know what I mean.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

A good insight into Elvis's influences is provided by the bootleg compilation of the originals of the songs Elvis has covered, both in the studio and on stage. Here's the tracklisting. http://www.geocities.com/anarmalegandas ... klist.html
Technically excellent, it also makes for a great collection on its own. I've one or two quibbles about some of the selections, eg. Dusty's version of I've Been Wrong Before. I think Elvis bases his version on Cilla Black's version. Indeed that song's writer, Randy Newman, has said Cilla's version is his favourite cover of one of his own songs. Whatever, all EC fans should have this set.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Another nit picking 'anomally' is Nina Simone's Don't Let me be Misunderstood, as Elvis wasn't aware of that version till after he released his own. Still, an impressive collection - I'll have to track it down!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

My nit picks:

I think the definitive version of "I Stand Accused" is by Tony Colton and the Big Boss Band. He wrote the song and this version was released around the same time as the Merseybeats'. I think "My Funny Valentine" is all Chet Baker (another important influence) and very little Sinatra.

More on the subject - I think I hear a piece of the Gersshwins "Isn't It A Pity" in "Town Cryer" - at least in the insturumental version from the Zoot Sims album, "Zoot Sims and the Gerswhin Brothers."
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Laughing Crow:

Thanks for that excerpt from the MAIT liners. I have the Ryko, not the Rhino of MAIT, so I was thrilled to see from your post a comment about the golden throat of Lowell George, lead crooner of Little Feat. Given that the original incarnation of the Feat was spawned by Frank Zappa proteges, it is exciting to hear that one of the favorite bands of my youth (they never recovered after Lowells untimely death from cocaine abuse) was revered for their contributions to rock by the likes of EC.

There are Little Feat fans who think that they were a southern rock band with a single hit single, "Oh Atlanta" (and maybe "Dixie Chicken"). They have not idea re: the depth and breadth of this band, and their far-reaching influence. If you want a treat that will make Lipstick Vogue sound tame by comparison, listen to "Teenage Nervous Breakdown" from the live "Hoy Hoy" record. Thanks Laughing for pointing that influence, and to others who have shared. Blue, I apologize, but I missed the induction speech. Did he mention all of these influences by name, from the podium, during the acceptance?

Great lists!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis` sleevenote for the Rhino re-issue of MAIT is online at -

http://www.rhino.com/features/liners/74285lin.html
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Thanks.
bobster

Post by bobster »

A couple of quick points -- you guys are way ahead of me in musical knowledge but, nevertheless....

I've always heard a bit of French composer Michel Legrand ("Windmills of Your Mind", innumerable film scores) in "Town Cryer" -- or possibly John Barry of James Bond movie fame, but more for the kind of work he later --- an immediately forgotten by all but me score he composed for a now-forgotten all-star live action version of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" comes to mind.

And, re: Little Feat. Haven't heard much of their work, but I'll never forget that Lowell George died the day I went to my first concert, Graham Parker & the Rumour. The show was dedicated to him, in a pretty heartfelt way, it seemed to me.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Well, Pills & Soap has a direct quote from The Temptations' Papa Was a Rolling Stone and God's Comic is an affectionate conceptual steal that shows his enduring love for Randy Newman, who Elvis always berates himself for trying to imitate on the old Charlie Gillet demos (My Aim is True reissue).

The Attractions, especially in their noisier moments, were much influnced by The Clash, and bloomin' heck why not, although, if I'm being mischievous, they didn't have the posh school credentials some of The Clash did. Obviously the Gram stuff has been enormously important to Elvis, AB is virtually a one man Gram tribute album.

I'd cite Nick Drake and Kurt Wiel as big influences during the Brodskys period. I don't know about the rest of you but in London we do get treated to EC/Brodsky reunions with almost embarrassing frequency (their take on My Mood Swings last year was a thing to behold) and I wouldn't complain a bit if he chose to record with them in some form again.

As has been said, Ole Blue Eyes has been a big influence in the last decade too. Big time.

Mose Allison's lyrical gags were an influence I'm sure on the almost interminable punning that Elvis once felt compelled to put into every line - y'know, twisting some common phrase to make it sinister or absurd. 'Maradonna and child' and 'immaterial girl' from Chewing Gum and Sleep of the Just immediately spring to mind, but most of the best examples probably come from Trust and IB.

I'm interested in the Little Feet comparisons that have been made - I've been meaning to get into them so i'll give 'em a chance now. Thanks.