Conan O'Brien

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Conan O'Brien

Post by BlueChair »

Few late night talk show hosts would want to bring their show to Toronto in the dead of winter, but Conan O'Brien is a pretty oddball character.

I got picked in the lottery and went to see a taping of Late Night With Conan O'Brien this afternoon, and it was loads of fun.

The media was swarming the scene, and I got interviewed by Toronto's main news radio station twice.. once while waiting in line, and once on the way out.

We waited in line for a lot longer than we should have, considering we were the supposed lucky ones who got picked out of a lottery. But it was fun. Conan brought along the Max Weinberg 7, announcer Joel Godard, the Masturbating Bear, and his guests tonight were Mike Myers and comedian Ron James. I'm curious to see what he has up his sleeve for the rest of the week.

Unfortunately my seat wasn't within camera view so those tuning in tonight won't be able to see me. But it was still cool!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH..........Masturbating bear?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Conan O'Brien has a recurring character known as masturbating bear. The fact that Conan is on at 12:35 AM to 1:35 AM is probably why he gets away with it.

If I can find a picture, I'll upload it. It's not as obscene as it sounds.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

What - we wont be able to see BlueChair?

Pfft . . . why bother watching it at all then?

:wink:
bobster

Post by bobster »

I actually saw part of that show, as I was drifting off to sleep.

And I thought, "wonder if Blue Chair's there...well, if he is, he's probably not in camera range as that theater looks pretty enormous." And Lo, I was right, sadly. :cry:

And here's a question -- why does they play Khatchuturian's "The Sabre Dance" when the Masturbating Bear begins to commit his infamous self-pleasuring? Why not a mambo?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

bobster wrote:I actually saw part of that show, as I was drifting off to sleep.

And I thought, "wonder if Blue Chair's there...well, if he is, he's probably not in camera range as that theater looks pretty enormous." And Lo, I was right, sadly. :cry:

And here's a question -- why does they play Khatchuturian's "The Sabre Dance" when the Masturbating Bear begins to commit his infamous self-pleasuring? Why not a mambo?
I think it'd be more controversial if they played something romantic. They make it to be a silly thing that he kind of breaks into quickly. They had another reference to the Masturbating Bear last night. On http://www.toronto.com there's a webcam that lets you explore the city, and they zoomed in on a rooftop where the Masturbating Bear was standing, and of course once they get him into focus he breaks into it.
Toy Soldier-Scaremonger

Post by Toy Soldier-Scaremonger »

Good thing the masturbating bear wears diapers! :shock:
I can't remember being any younger.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yes, that certainly helps.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

On http://www.toronto.com there's a webcam that lets you explore the city,
Here's the link to this wondrous thing
http://www.toronto.com/feature/238/
bobster

Post by bobster »

Yesterday's L.A. Times entertainment section ran a short piece (wire service?) saying that there was a "furor" in Canada over comments directed at French Canadians by Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog. Seems he was insulting.

Blue -- did this news reach your ears?

(I'd tried to provide a link, but while the paper's main contents can be got for free online, the entertainment section is available as pay only -- ironic seeing as how the Times entertainment coverage has been in a precipitous decline in recent years)
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's amazing how much the media can attract people with misleading headlines like "Canada conemns 'racist' Conan O'Brien show." Look, Canada's much like any other country. We always have some politicians who make a big fuss about everything. So Triumph made fun of the Quebecois. So a few politicians make a big fuss. That doesn't mean our entire country made a big fuss. Apparently only 15 people called up the Toronto station that broadcasts Conan to complain.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Blue, this looks like a much more interesting story, do you think Martin will pull through?
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/sto ... y/National
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:It's amazing how much the media can attract people with misleading headlines like "Canada conemns 'racist' Conan O'Brien show." Look, Canada's much like any other country. We always have some politicians who make a big fuss about everything. So Triumph made fun of the Quebecois. So a few politicians make a big fuss. That doesn't mean our entire country made a big fuss. Apparently only 15 people called up the Toronto station that broadcasts Conan to complain.
Man, Blue, goes to show that political correctness knows no borders. I watched the skit on the night it was aired and was laughing out loud. And I love Quebec. My wife and I (both French speakers) honeymooned up there and returned to Montreal last year. Everyone needs to lighten up and take it in stride. Triumph is an equal-opportunity insulter. The most ludicrous comment I read related to this controversy was a Canadian MP saying that it would be the equivalent of a Canadian talk show host using a puppet to make fun of the September 11 tragedy. Can we please have some sense of perspective?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bobster

Post by bobster »

It does bring up a sort of interesting issue on how us modern, not overly sensitive, liberal types tend to go a lot easier on humor aimed at white nationalities/ethnic groups (unless they're Jewish, and sometimes even then). Recently, it's only the most thin-skinned (or Mob connected) of Italian Americans who deny the existence of La Cosa Nostra and decry "The Sopranos" --- in fact this kind of thing is now so rare that the charges of "racist" sounded downright odd. It's been a long time since I've heard of any Polish-Americans complaining about Polish jokes. I'd never thought of French Canadians as a "race" -- though I supppose Acadians qualify as an ethnic group.

And then it gets really complicated when Jewish groups accuse Quebecois leaders of being antisemitic . Interesting, especially as I've been mistaken for Acadian myself so I guess the genetic routes of the two groups may not be all that different. Though that was in Louisiana. L'chaim and laissez le bon temps roulez, I guess.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

martinfoyle wrote:Blue, this looks like a much more interesting story, do you think Martin will pull through?
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/sto ... y/National
It's hard to say really. Martin is playing dumb, which is not the right thing to do, considering he was Finance Minister at the time of the controversy.

The fact that the conservatives are working on a unified right kind of scares me. Maybe I should just move to.... somewhere normal. Wherever that might be.
gadfly
Location: on your back in that spot you just can't quite reach, buzzing

Post by gadfly »

If you invite Conan to your country without knowing that Triumph is a regular bit on his show, it's yer own fault. It's a puppet, fer crying out loud.
just like a million more all over the world
bobster

Post by bobster »

From Today's IMDB....

Blame It on Conan

The Toronto businessman who spearheaded a drive to bring NBC's Conan O'Brien to Canada for a week of shows featuring Canadian-born talent has defended O'Brien against an avalanche of public outrage that ensued when Robert Smigel, in the guise of Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog, let loose with a series of barbs targeting French-speaking Quebecers. Peter Soumalias, founder of Canada's Walk of Fame told the Canadian Press wire service that he not only has no regrets about the bit but encouraged it. Soumalias said that some of O'Brien's writers did express concern about the material but that he assured them that Canada was mature enough to take it. As for protests by government figures about the skit, Soumalias said, "Government needs to stay out of the public airwaves. It's as simple as that." [Appearing with a "translator" (whose words appeared in English subtitles), O'Brien apologized on Tuesday night's show: O'Brien: "People of Quebec, I'm sorry." French translator: "People of Quebec, I'm an albino jackass." O'Brien: "We meant no harm with our comedy piece the other night." Translator: "The other night, I wet the bed like a little girl." O'Brien: "I was a stranger in a strange land and I was very insensitive." Translator: "I have a small penis." O'Brien: "Quebec, your lively and rich culture is a treasure to Canada, and your unique heritage deserves only praise, not ridicule." Translator: "I have never known the touch of a woman and I never will." O'Brien: "Again, please accept my heartfelt apologies." Translator: "Did I mention I have a small penis?"]
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Canadian entertainment news site Jam!'s current poll (voted on primarily by Canadians):

Burning Question Of The Day

What did you think of Conan O'Brien's Triumph the Insult Comic Dog sketch?

Total Votes for this Question: 9491
So far, 13%  have voted for It was completely offensive
So far, 62%  have voted for It was funny
So far, 13%  have voted for I didn't see it
So far, 13%  have voted for i don't care