Post by snarling pup »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I hate it when reviewers slag Elvis off like that! :lol:

Thanks SP.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Toy Soldier-Scaremonger

Post by Toy Soldier-Scaremonger »

Even though it's fairly obvious that this cat is not a major EC fan, he did turn in a well written review that was enjoyable to read. I'm very excited to be seein' Elvis on the NORTH tour performing many of his new songs that I've not seen him perform before but am fairly disappointed by what else he's including in the show (at least last night's). Every single one of the older songs mentioned in the review are the same tunes Elvis usually does on almost every tour and there are no old chestnuts that he's not done in many years or ever. I don't want to exude any type of negativity which the Scaremonger is notorious for :lol: but how bout giving us pieces he's not done in ages like 'Pidgin English', 'Charm School', 'Deportee', and 'Miss Macbeth' just to name a few. It doesn't have to be anyone of them but just others that he's cast off for decades now. Based on last night's setlist, he seems to be giving us the same stuff that he did on the 1999 Lonely World tour with Steve with only new pieces from NORTH thrown in making it about only 40 minutes of different material within the context of a 2 hour plus show. Just a thought. :idea:
I can't remember being any younger.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I've almost driven myself crazy wondering what songs he might do with Steve and the Brodskys at the Ryman next week. I keep trying to imagine every song he does and how it would sound with different arrangements and that combination of people on stage with him.

All in all though, I thought that was a pretty nice review, pup.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mike Bodayle writes -

To: COSTELLO-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

This is from a friend who went last night:

Not bad at all for another round of duets with steve.

basic same ole song selections with North sprinkled in. STILL is still a good song ....

he opened the Tour with Accidents, 45 , brilliant M, shot with his own gun
(!) , Toledo ,indoor fireworks ...Gods'comic was very good and the
standout song ( he references "found in Translation ") Man out of time , Peace ,L&Unders..... . ... bla bla bla.

he had a stomach virus but gave aswell as he could for 2 hrs.....
migdd

Post by migdd »

Usually, Elvis will begin a tour with a standard setlist and add addtional tunes as the tour progresses.
notangry

A Historic Show

Post by notangry »

I wrote this before reading the review so it gives a slightly different perspective, from a true fan.

Last night at the seventy-six year old Florida Theatre in Jacksonville, Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve delivered a concert with historic proportions. The two-hour show was a fantastic mix of hits and recent material, albeit somewhat predictable. Shot From His Own Gun was clearly the highlight for me.

Elvis' voice sounded a bit rough at first but smoothed out nicely. I found out after the show that he was quite sick. This surprised me because he seemed to be in good spirits. I commend him for not canceling the gig and hope that he recovers quickly, especially since he has shows the next 3 nights.

The crowd was fairly appreciative but I would have liked to have seen more standing ovations. I noticed that people near the outer edges of the first 10 rows or so were much more inclined to stand after the songs . That might be due to the misleading seating distribution for the pre-release. Fortunately, I double checked the seat numbers and knew I would be dead center. I was in Elvis heaven as he looked at us quite often and I was simply numbed when he sang from the front of the stage.

At the start of the second encore, Elvis led into Pump it Up and a girl began dancing up front. A security guy asked her to leave which she did for about 10 seconds. When he asked again, Elvis came to the front of the stage and told him to leave her alone. Well, as we know, that’s the signal for everyone to line the front of the stage for the final few songs, and that’s exactly what we did.

Probably the most awkward moment was at the start of Almost Blue. Unfortunately, Elvis had to sing about the first 20 seconds accompanied by what I thought was feedback from the guitar monitor. Elvis seemed to smile in disgust, if that’s possible. He worked right through it though and everything was fine. At the end of the song, a strong stare to the sound man off stage confirmed his anger.

I really cannot express all the emotions that I experienced last night. For all of you going to upcoming shows, you certainly are in for a treat. This is pretty close to the actual set-list, if not exact. Sorry, I don't remember "You Turned To Me" and am not sure where it goes.

Accidents Will Happen
Brilliant Mistake
Shot From His Own Gun
This House is Empty Now
Someone Took The Words Away
Toledo
Home Truth
Indoor Fireworks
Fallen
God’s Comic
Man Out Of Time
Shipbuilding
Peace, Love and Understanding
-----------------------------------
Either Side of the Same Town
When It Sings
Still
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got a Hold on Me
------------------------------------
Pump It Up
Watching The Detectives
Almost Blue
Scarlet Tide
Alison
Dark End of the Street
Last edited by notangry on Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i missed the '99 tour. i hadn't discovered the wonder of Elvis at that point. silly, silly me.

that said, i really want to hear Toledo. but, since he's in Boston w/ the Brodsky Quartet, who knows what'll pop up.

end of month! coming up. yay!!!

this will be my third time seeing Elvis. other than the band i was a groupie for in college (my buds' boyfriends were the band), that's the most i've seen anyone perform.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Pump It Up" at a piano & acoustic guitar show? Is that common EC practice? :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
snarling pup

Jacksonville review

Post by snarling pup »

http://www.elviscostello.info/gigograph ... _9909.html

Pump It Up was played fairly often during the 1999 tour, BC.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Cool.

I'm in a similar boat as Poppet. I was only just getting into Elvis when he and Steve played in Toronto on their '99 tour. I couldn't justify going at that point. I'm glad I will finally get a chance to see Elvis in this format, having seen him twice with The Imposters.

I'm hoping the PLU he is doing on this tour is similar to the slowed down arrangement he did as a duet with Nick Lowe at some shows in the 80's
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Blue - If the british shows last year are a guide then PLU was pretty much a standard version.
signed with love and vicious kisses
notangry

Post by notangry »

selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Blue did you ever see the version with Steve on accordian, which is on A CASE FOR SONG? Pretty fun.

NA, thanks for that pic. I can almost hear Buns drooling over Steve's hair. However, is it a fluke of my (tiny and poor) monitor, or are they wearing matching brocade suits?? Is this what comes of his hanging out with Sir Elton? I am hoping and assuming it's the photo/my computer.

I was a huge fan of EJ during his most flamboyant period, but it was the seventies, and I was a 12-yr-old girl... oh wait, wrong thread...
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

johnfoyle wrote:Mike Bodayle writes -

To: COSTELLO-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

This is from a friend who went last night:

Not bad at all for another round of duets with steve.

basic same ole song selections with North sprinkled in. STILL is still a good song ....

he opened the Tour with Accidents, 45 , brilliant M, shot with his own gun
(!) , Toledo ,indoor fireworks ...Gods'comic was very good and the
standout song ( he references "found in Translation ") Man out of time , Peace ,L&Unders..... . ... bla bla bla.

he had a stomach virus but gave aswell as he could for 2 hrs.....
ditto ditto
one can only hope .. this is why many go to two shows
it would be great to be surprised with..
the havy distortion of green shirt
love field
talking in the dark
steve's passionate fight
covers like GLoomy SUnday, Don't Bother Me, etc.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Don't bother me? I can't say I know that one.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?