Bob Dylan or The Beatles --- The Duel Has Began

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Bob And Charlotte

Bob Dylan or The Beatles --- The Duel Has Began

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

I´m kidding guys.... everybody knows that Blonde on Blonde alone is better than the whole Beatles catalog....

Am i wrong?
gethappier

my 2 cents....

Post by gethappier »

Dylan was just as genius as the Beatles, but as a cohesive body of work, I would have to give the nod to the Beatles...

But it's like comparing Mozart to Beethoven.. in other words.. tough..
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Agreed. I thought my post in the other thread said enough, but in response to what you are saying here, Dylan suffers from more than a couple crappy albums. Granted, most artists who have been recording for 40 years have a few crappy albums, but The Beatles didn't make one bad album.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Beatles
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Are fresh strawberries and banana slices on homemade vanilla ice cream better than fresh peaches with pound cake?

Is a sonnet better than a haiku?

Is Carl Hiaasen better than Douglas Adams?

Is athletic, unexpected sex in the kitchen better than a long, slow, scheduled and anticipated episode in bed?

If I had to choose, I'd take the Beatles' catalogue over Dylan's, my favourite three Beatles albums over my favourite three of Bob's, and my very favourite of theirs (which changes from time to time) over my favourite of his, Blood on the Tracks. But then, I don't have to make such choices, now do I?
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Going along with what Hungup just said

If I didn't have Rubber Soul and Blood On The Tracks in my collection, I'd be a much sadder individual.

It's like asking which foot you want to have amputated.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

It's like asking which foot you want to have amputated.

That's easy, I'm much better at hopping on my right foot so it'd have to my left. :lol:

I can't decide between the fabs and Dylan though.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Easy peasy - it's got to be the Beatles. Although i'm not a great Beatles fan I cant stand Dylan! :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Gillibeanz wrote: I cant stand Dylan!

:shock:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

David Bowie.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

fresh strawberries and banana slices on homemade vanilla ice cream, sonnet, hiaason, long, slow, scheduled and anticipated episode in bed, beatles.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Dylan was/is a great poet/writer.

The Beatles were great writers of whimsy and great writers of catchy pop tunes. In terms of a musical act, the Beatles win hands down.

Although I did like Jimi Hendrix, Manfred Mann and Burl Ives ;)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yes, although I'm not the most educated lad on the subject- Beatles.

"Rubber Soul"! I love that album.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

NO ICE CREAM!!!!

lactose intolerant. darn it.

i was a beatlemaniac in high school. when john lennon was murdered, my friends all made a point of finding me at school the next day to check in on me. i had it really, really, REALLY bad. i even had a subscription to 'strawberry fields forever', one of the better fanzines for the fab four.

ah, youth. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I'll even go so far to say JOHN LENNON over Bob *HA HA*
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

i may be in the minority but take the best albums of both artists and compare them. these are of course my opinions and not based on any real fact...
meet the beatles v. freewheelin' bob dylan-dylan narrowly. works better as an album although a lot is to be said about the instant impact of the beatles
hard day's night v. times they are a changin'-i'll give this one to dylan only because of the trio of the times they are a changin, the lonesome death of hattie carroll and spanish boots of leather.
help! v. bringing it all back home-once again dylan wins by a narrow margin. subterranean, mr. tambourine man, it's allright, ma.
rubber soul v. highway 61 revisted- highway 61 if we are to believe rolling stone is the fourth best album of all time but i would still have to give it a tie. there's just too much good stuff on both to really seperate them.
revolver v. blonde on blonde-this is the only easy one in the whole group. blonde on blonde is the most immediately influencial album in rock history. it also may be the most beautiful
sgt. pepper v. john wesley harding-it's unfortunate that these two are going to be compared but it's just the way it falls. and in this case sgt pepper wins for the same reason blonde on blonde does. it's immediate influence on everyone.
magical mystery tour v. nashville skyline-magical mystery tour plays more like a greatest hits collection than an album. nashville skyline is incredible but you have to give it what was an incredible bunch of songs
the beatles v. blood on the tracks-blood on the tracks wins because of it's haunting beauty and it means everything to a lot of people. the white album is easily in the top two or three beatles albums but it's not as good as blood on the tracks.
let it be v. desire-i personally have listened to desire many many more times and it's one of my absolute favorite dylan albums. it might be my desert island dylan album so i feel kind of bad comparing them since i've hardly listened to let it be comparitively. so i'll abstain from this one.
finally the latest/last works of the two...
abbey road v. "love and theft"-abbey road wins this one because and only because of the incredible b-side. love and theft has some songs that can make me cry but there's just something about that entire side that carries me away.

so if this were a poll my vote would be with dylan because of 4-2 vote with two albums a non-vote. i could love dylan more because i tend to go for songwriters and dylan is the best that ever lived.
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story
bobster

Post by bobster »

I'm in agreement with Cope on this one. But that's just the popster in me talking!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!