Ask El Vez Revisited

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

What is AMHVUE?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I had the pleasure to meet Kurt Cobain several times in the late '80s and early '90s when our bands played on the same bills. He was an addict, and in the grand pantheon of rock, he is probably overrated. But he most definitely was NOT an asshole. Back then at least, he was a sweet guy who would loan you a guitar pick or change a broken string for you, and would quietly compliment other people's songs and performances. As a musician, his work and worth are definitely open to criticism, but it is pretty unfair to slag him on a personal level.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Mr Average, give it a rest already, please.

I can understand you criticizing the Anhvu Sessions under its thread, but don't take it into this one.

I don't understand what your problem is, you've voiced your opinion... what is the point of bringing it this far? Are you trying to hurt my feelings? Are you trying to run me off the board? Are you unhappy with your childhood?

This is really childish, uncalled for, and it is now borderline pathetic.

You fill your posts to the brim with unnecessary jargon to create an image of intelligence... then you pull some ridiculous little move like this- funny that.

Just keep my name out of your keyboard... you don't exist to me, I'd appreciate the same.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

miss buenos aires wrote:What is AMHVUE?
Wehitandrun, you wanna take this one for me?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

miss buenos aires wrote:What is AMHVUE?
"AMHVU" is immature slang used for the name "Anhvu". Anhvu is an asian boy who attends Virginia Tech University, he is the inspiration behind "The Anhvu Sessions", which can be found here - http://www.purevolume.com/theflamesoftroy
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

El Vez,

What's the next BIG THING?

BlueChair
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

BlueChair wrote:El Vez,

What's the next BIG THING?

BlueChair
Plastics.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Pophead2K:

I am sure he was a sweet guy. Most addicts are docile and their addiction is often fueled by genius.

My point is this. He is on record at the age of 23 years old as saying that he aspired to become a member of the 27 club, the age at which Jimi, Janis, and Jim all bit the big one. He aspired to a planned suicide. He aspired to die with 4 years notice.

Don't tell me that with todays pysciatric interventions, medications, counselling strategies etc, that he did not have ample time to get help. He did. But he envisioned his greatness first and foremost as a product of his early death.

In my book, that is an asshole. A preson in need of therapy is not an asshole. But a person who takes the majority of their adult life to plan their suicide for maximum dramatic effect is indeed stupid and incredibly misguided. My diatribe against Courtney is that she was instrumental in assisting him, Jack Kovorkian-style. And he is a icon of hell because he PLANNED to leave Francis Bean,his only child, fatherless and with an addict for a Mother.

What a sweetheart.

I am certain that your interaction with him was fantastic. I'll bet he was a sweet guy on the surface, but scratch that surface a little pophead and find an egomaniacal, selfish, syncophant at the core. You don't have to scratch too deep.

'Scuse me, I'm having a bad day. I'm off to kill myself to get a little respect. And to cut poor WHAR a break. Listen, little fella, get your head out of your ass and listen for once. Because you cannot grasp my vocabulary doesn't mean that I should be compelled to lower my standards.

I guess the ultimate questions is (as it has been PM'ed to me by a few of you) "Whay are you so damn angry all of a sudden?"

The best answer, although there are many, is that I despise the treatment of NoiseRadio by members of this board. He is a TRUE Elvis fan who lives his passion everyday for the work of the artist that this board is supposed to celebrate. He teaches children by adopting novel approaches to meet the chalenges of todays pedagogue. He has a conservative bend but is remarkably tolerate to others (much more that I, I do admit). He has a sense of humour, and is a real, genuine perosn who cares about his family.

Perfect guy to run off the board.

Hell with it all. I know I am sounding a lot like A Rope Leash, but sometimes the total absurdity of the positions people take here, in the interest of being soft and fluffy and nice and in vogue and stuff, just become all too much. Christ almighty, THINK. Propoganda works on the lowest levels of society. It should have no place with the intellgent base that makes up the grand majority of the contributors to this forum. But it does, because it is far more hip to slam establishment and leadership than it is to support it. Just ask Johny Couger, The Clash, the Jam, the Sex Pistols.

Be cool, Don't be square, man.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

or Elvis Costello.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Dear El Vez,

Who is your favorite vocalist, and why?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

wehitandrun wrote:Dear El Vez,

Who is your favorite vocalist, and why?
Jeepers, that is a tough one. Mississippi John Hurt, Bessie Smith, Ralph Stanley, Carter Stanley, Ira Louvin (the troubled genius of The Louvin Brothers and a better vocalist than brother Charlie), Loretta Lynn, Ray Charles, Howlin' Wolf, Frank Sinatra, John Lennon, David Ruffin, Ben E. King, Van Morrison, Bing Crosby, Lefty Frizzell, Hank Sr., Otis Redding, Jimmie Rodgers, Levi Stubbs, Tom Waits, E.C., Graham Parker, Gillian Welch, Joni Mitchell, Jerry Butler, Emmylou Harris, Merle Haggard, Aretha Franklin, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash........so damn many!

In the end, though, no one moves me like Bob Dylan. A very good writer named Paul Williams (of Crawdaddy! demi-fame) has written four or five books on Dylan and each one spends a huge amount of time laying the ground work for his argument that Dylan is our greatest living white soul singer. There is something about Bob's phrasing that just paints a more vivid and interesting picture than that of any other great artist I've been exposed to. The way he stretches words out like they've never been done before and finds these weird, cascading rhymes....he's like some kind of cosmic gypsy.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

May I see a picture of you?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I can answer this one for him.

See the Photo Gallary....I believe he's featured in "Post Your Mug" as well as "pictures of yourself totally drunk"

Enjoy :)
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

dear el vez,

i noticed that amongst your favorite vocalists was tom waits. he is a nice poet and all, but for some reason, i find listening to that voice even harder than listening to marianne faithfull. i find it harder than looking at eydie gorme. i find it harder than sweating when ralph stanley is going to croak. i find it harder than considering relations with my ex-sister-in-law.
i find it harder than not putting a beatles tune in the tower of song. i find it harder than visiting detroit. is there something wrong with me?
Last edited by oily slick on Mon May 10, 2004 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

oily slick wrote: is there something wrong with me?
:shock:

In short....yes. :? :wink:

(just kidding...what the hell do I know?)
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

oily slick wrote:dear el vez,

i noticed that amongst your favorite vocalists was tom waits. he is a nice poet and all, but for some reason, i find listening to that voice even harder than listening to marianne faithfull. i find it harder than looking at eydie gorme. i find it harder than sweating when ralph stanley is going to croak. i find it harder than considering relations with my ex-sister-in-law.
i find it harder than not putting a beatles tune in the tower of song. i find it harder than visiting detroit. is there something wrong with me?
Dear Ol' Dirty Oily Slick,

I really like Marianne Faithfull's voice. I'm glad I don't have her lungs or Grace Slick's liver.....but there is something transfixing about how gloriously ruined her instrument is.

You should put a Beatles song up in the tower. They don't get enough recognition on this board.

Dr. Stanley keeps up with himself pretty well. Still tours, records, enjoys his O Brother windfall and has been a model for clean living. When he does pass from this world, hopefully not for several more years, his time here will have been well spent. I can only dream of being so cool.

There are things I can say about the "ex-sister-in-law" comment but I don't.

You are right not to visit Detroit. I am sorry for anyone who even passes through there. They should cut you a reparations check for that. Kentucky Fried Movie was entirely too lenient on that city in their famous "A Fistful of Yen" sketch.
Last edited by El Vez on Mon May 10, 2004 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

dear el vez

i'm so unhip. what or who is sadfas?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

oily slick wrote:dear el vez

i'm so unhip. what or who is sadfas?
"sadfas" happened to be the random keystrokes I entered in to get my post through. For some reason, I get this "Invalid_session" shit a lot when I actually type up a proper post and then try to submit it. This way I can go back and edit it to say what was intended without facing the crushing defeat of said "Invalid_session."

Never buy a Dell computer. That's all I'm saying.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Dear El Vez,

Should I or should I not get tickets to see Tom Jones next month?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I own a Dell. I don't think it has to do with your computer so much as your internet connection, El Vez.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

El Vez wrote: I'm glad I don't have Grace Slick's liver
first you call me shrimp dick and now you're making fun of ma.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I too own a Dell and I've never had any problems with it. Just the occasional virus spreading asshole.
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yes, I own a Dell too. I love it.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

BlueChair wrote:I own a Dell. I don't think it has to do with your computer so much as your internet connection, El Vez.
Yes, but you're Canadian! The laws of time and space (much less such trifling matters as technology malfunctions) don't apply. Canada is the land of fairies and elves where Frodo gets drunk and screws with his neighbors and Michael Moore can get into your house simply by turning the knob of your unlocked front door.

Jackson & WHAR.....do you have relatively new computers? Mine is about three years old which would probably explain a lot.
Last edited by El Vez on Mon May 10, 2004 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

oily slick wrote:
El Vez wrote: I'm glad I don't have Grace Slick's liver
first you call me shrimp dick and now you're making fun of ma.
I said Grace Slick NOT Grace Jones.
Last edited by El Vez on Mon May 10, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.