Rediscovery

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Gillibeanz

Rediscovery

Post by Gillibeanz »

Isn't it strange when you suddenly discover you like an artist from way back when that you had no interest in when they were in their hey day? I was watching TV last week and flicking through the channels came across a documentary on Cat Stevens. Never liked him or listened to anything he did when he was big, but got pulled into this documentary on his life story and thought some of the snippets of the songs he played sounded great! So I downloaded lots of stuff from KazaA - am i'm totally hooked!! Anyone else here rediscovered someone they disliked way back?

Just goes to show how your tastes change as you grow old and decrepit I guess!!!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Your tastes DO change as you get older, Gilli. And I'm glad they did for me. After years of just hearing Elvis here and there, I wake up one day to realize I can't live without his music. So that's my big discovery - EC all over the place for most of my music-listening existence and it just hits me one morning while running errands that his music is thought-provoking and powerful.

Thank God! I wouldn't have met any of you good people either if it had not happened! :)
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

For me, it's my recent re-discovery of Joe Jackson. I mean, I heard him on the radio from time to time, always got a kick out of "Is she really goin' out with him?", but never really got into his music.

So, I'm watching Letterman one night, and Dave says, "Together again for the first time in 25 years--the original Joe Jackson Band!", and they launch into "Awkward Age", and it just floored me!

Ran out the next day & bought Volume 4...a few weeks later, special ordered "Steppin' Out", got myself 2 tickets to see them perform in August (Showbox Theater, Seattle), and the rest is history yet-to-come.

8)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm still relatively young, but there are some artists who I like now that I never liked during my teenage years. An example of that is Joni Mitchell, who I've only recently come to respect and enjoy.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I've rekindled my 80s love of thw wonderful Lloyd Cole in a big way recently.

Cat Stevens, or rather Yussuf Islam, was a bit too keen recently to hassle the Flaming Lips for their unwitting Father and Son influence of one of their songs. Pennypincher.

I'll never forget being with two English brothers on a Saturday night in Madrid and towrds the evening hearing them sing in beautiful harmony 'Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody...'
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Have you bought Etc yet Otis ?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: I'll never forget being with two English brothers on a Saturday night in Madrid and towrds the evening hearing them sing in beautiful harmony 'Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody...'
Of course you know that's Sam Cooke originally, Oteman, I am sure.

And going back in time like that reminds me, I have been trying like mad to find a CD version of the 2-record Buddy Holly collection I had on vinyl.. You know how it is when you have a particular set of tracks in order in your brain, and you just crave hearing them that way??? That's how I was with those great vinyl pieces. Can't recall the name, only the cover (and would recognize the track list, but can't reconstruct it).... oy.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Mug -

The 2 LP Buddy Holly that I have on vinyl is called - "A Rock & Roll Collection" - black cover with a picture of Buddy in a circle - with 2 cherubs hodling a crown over his head - it came out in 1972.

Side 1
Rave On
Tell Me How
Peggy Su Got Married
Slippin' And Slidin'
Oh Boy!
Not Fade Away

Side 2
Bo Diddley
What To Do
Heartbeat
Well All Right
Words Of Love
Love's Made A Fool Of You

Side 3
Reminiscing
Lonesome Tears
Listen To Me
Maybe Baby
Down The Line
That'll Be The Day

Side 4
Peggy Sue
Brown Eyed Handsome Man
Your'e So Square
Crying, Waiting, Hoping
Ready Teddy
It Doesn't Matter Anymore

I sent an e-mail to MCA a couple of years ago asking why there was no box set on cd. They answered licsensing problems, which struck me as odd, because I thought MCA owned all the tracks.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Boy, you're a frikkin mind-reader. That is precisely the collection!!

Bless you!! Not able to rip it, are ya? Would love to swap it for something, just PM me.

And why, pray tell, is your ass not in Providence?!?