Rank "Time Out Of Mind"

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Bob And Charlotte

Rank "Time Out Of Mind"

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Yet another flawless Dylan effort, this is already a classic collection.

01.Not Dark Yet
02.Highlands
03.Can't Wait
04.Tryin' To Get To Heaven
05.Til I Fell In Love With You
06.Standing In The Doorway
07.Cold Irons Bound
08.Dirt Road Blues
09.Million Miles
10.Love Sick
11.Make You Feel My Love
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

01. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
02. Standing In The Doorway
03. Not Dark Yet
04. Love Sick
05. Highlands
06. Til I Fell In Love With You
07. Dirt Road Blues
08. Million Miles
09. Make You Feel My Love
10. Can't Wait
11. Cold Irons Bound

Great album!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I bought the reissues of Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited based solely on the comments on this board. I had never heard either album.

I will say that Bob Dylan has some of the best "Track 1s" of all time, but some of his songs make me want to slap him or wake him up and throw some passion into him.

I really dig "BLood On The Tracks", but on Highway 61 I've only gotten into two songs.
Bob And Charlotte

Both H61R and BOTT are two of the best records of all-time.

'Desolation Row', 'You´re Gonna Make Me Lonesome', 'Tombstone Blues', 'Idiot Wind'...
Bob And Charlotte

nobody asked for, but here goes some great TOOM lines:

'When you think that you lost everything
You find out you can always lose a little more'

'Don't know if I saw you, if I would kiss you or kill you
It probably wouldn't matter to you anyhow'

'Looking at you and I'm on my bended knee
You have no idea what you do to me'

'Night or day, it doesn't matter where I go anymore; I JUST GO'
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

"I was born here and I'll die here against my will
I know it looks like I'm moving but I'm standin' still"

"I ain't looking for nothing in anyone's eyes"

"You broke a heart that loved you
Now you can seal up the book and not write anymore"
alexv

Post by alexv »

TOOM is indeed a great record, and Not Dark Yet is my favorite track, but a couple of weeks ago I got to see Bobby Z live on a beautiful summer night by the banks of the Hudson River (actually in a minor league baseball stadium in Fishkill, NY, but that just doesn't have the same ring) and he played the song and sent chills down my spine. It leaves the recorded version in the dust. If anyone has a chance to catch him this summer, please do. His band plays with ferocious power and intensity and Bobby is in great spirits (not playing guitar,but every once in a while getting up from his piano to do some genuinely crazy-ass whirling). He only does 15 songs but they rock. I thought EC's Impostors show at Lincoln Center rocked, but Dylan puts him to shame. As I noted in a previous post, the man has invented the way for a 60s music god to go out: take your catalogue, pick out some young hot shot players, and play the songs as loudly, as fiercely and with as much conviction as you can muster. Do it roughly twice a week, every week, every month, every year (except when you are having your 60ish heart retooled) all over the world. And then you die. At the risk of generating more Bob & Charlottisms, the man is one of a kind. You will have to put up with Willie Nelson,whose approach is the antithesis of Dylan's, as his opening act. He will play a medley of about 50 of his greatest hits, never finishing any one song, while waving or pointing to people in the crowd he can probably barely make out as he plays. Oh, and if you are lucky(?) you'll catch one of the bandannas he periodically throws into the crowd.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I'm gonna have to find a recording of that, alexv. Do you remember what the date was?

He does do some crazy whirling, doesn't he? He played a 1500-person club here in Nashville last year. No backstage area and the stage was at floor level, maybe raised slightly. He got off the bus, went straight to the stage, walked right by me as the band gathered behind some speakers before the encore, played a blistering "Watchtower", walked back out to the bus, and rode off into the night.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I witnessed some of that crazy ass whirling wednesday night. his drummer kicked ass.

and willie was kind of sad. but his boy could play guitar.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

This great album is hard to rank, but here goes:

1. Not Dark Yet
2. Can't Wait
3. Highlands
5. Dirt Road Blues
6. Standing In The Doorway
7. Love Sick
8. Million Miles
9. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
10. Cold Irons Bound
(the last two are good rather than great, IMHO:)
11. Till I Fell In Love With You
12. Make You Feel My Love
What this world needs is more silly men.