Elvis as an old man.

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

Elvis as an old man.

Post by bambooneedle »

Hey...

Elvis as an old man.

Imagine him.

Imagine Elvis as an 80 year old. He'd still be quick on his heels, I reckon. He'd probably still have a bit of hair, grayed into a lighter shade of brown red. And he's still be singin' after about 60 records. I'd be 64.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hmmm.... what would the old geezer be singing about I wonder... he'd still be performing and touring if ablebodied, I'd surmise. And still look like Costello.

The trembling voice of an old man with emotion, in any case... the lilts and breaks in an old man's voice coupled with his customary wit. Maybe he'd really crack if he got angry enough, or would he be too sane? It'd be interesting to hear the output of his octogenerian years...
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

As already mentioned in some other thread, we'll soon be seeing Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson and a few others in their 70's.
This should give us some insight how Elvis might be doing in show-business in 20 years' time.
However, if you look at the rock'n'roll stars like Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis, the prospects are not so bright....... I remember Chuck Berry playing a gig in Poland a couple of years ago, and it was pitiful.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I was watching a James Brown performance the other day...that man is still a funkster...I'd like Elvis to be like that, a snarling old coot, with the Imposters behind him!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

bambooneedle wrote:
The trembling voice of an old man
Love & Theft - Bob Dylan
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Elvis is pretty fit, and could well outlast all those old guys. No alcohol or other obvious vice.... McCartney will probably manage to preserve himself into his 90's. Both can howl better than most 20 year olds now ever will, and both would be pretty immune from aging myths. How their women go will also be interesting to see.

One thing is for sure - that they won't be like the old men of our generations. Elvis won't be a man out of time, probably wouldn't afford himself to be.

In the meantime, I can see him pulling out albums like The Ghost Of Tom Joad, or invite U2 as guests on a tripping post-disaster album perhaps, or on other Americana excursions. How old was John Lee Hooker - a blues album? If he spaced out his Delivery Man albums and put them 10 years apart, the story could continue at 60, 70, 80... But I doubt Elvis will just turn to certain forms of music, like classical over rock, the older he gets.

Whether Watching The Detectives or Pump It Up will still be on setlists will remain to be seen...