Jags

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Jags

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Sitting here listening to the Rhino - " DIY - Starry Eyes - UK Pop II (1978-79)" and the Jags, "Back Of My Hand" comes on. It's a very catchy song in the Elvis Costello style of the time, to the point of being considered a rip-off. (homage?)

Are there any other artists or songs that are uncannily (consciously or subconsciously) as similar to Elvis? I actually have the Best of The Jags on cd - it's an unremarkable collection, and aside from the aforementioned song, doesn't really evoke EC and the Attractions.

I predict this will be an esoteric thread that will die a quick death.
A rope leash

I wonder...

Post by A rope leash »

Does anyone think that Graham Parker would have been a much bigger star if there had been no Elvis Costello?

(No Elvis?! What am I saying???!!!)
girl out of time

G.P or E.C

Post by girl out of time »

BWaP.........try Anniversary or Temporary Beauty by Graham Parker.......every time my friends would listen to it would mistake his vocal style with EC........after many hours of hard listening they finally got it right and nowadays they are able to tell the difference....
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

My brother always goes on about how EC and GP sound the same. Whilst the vocal style is similar, I've always been able to tell them apart. Having said that I love the music of both, and their songwriting ability, which is completely different in many ways.

The most recent 'Jags' type homage/rip-off was from a Band called Ether.
They released an album called Strange in 1999 and I thought it was great. Not many others did, and it sank without trace. If you can get a copy, I'd give it a go. It has some very good songs 's very poppy. The vocal delivery is a little like EC circa 1979 (with added helium). 8)
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Hmmm...don't own any Graham Parker.

Should I Invest??

****covers ears at all of the booing, screeching, reprimands, etc.****

Can anyone suggest a "starter kit"??

:?:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

sulkygirl wrote:Hmmm...don't own any Graham Parker.

Should I Invest??

****covers ears at all of the booing, screeching, reprimands, etc.****

Can anyone suggest a "starter kit"??

:?:
This wpuld be as good place to start
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Sulky -

That looks like a neat hits package that Martin Foyle recommended. GP's most famous album is "Squeezing Out Sparks" - and the cd released a few years ago has a live version of the same album. Can't recommend this one enough.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 59kextkq7m
Mr. Average

Discovering Japan

Post by Mr. Average »

Graham Parkers work with, and without the Rumour, stands the test of time.

It is an intriguing theory, however, that EC somehow yanked the spot from Graham, relegating him to more of a cult classic hero than a rock and roll icon. Few thoughts:

1. Graham Parker is a Rock and Roll Icon in the vien and spirit of Eddie Cochran and Duane Eddie.
2. Squeezin' Out Sparks is great, but The Up Escalator, Mona Lisa's Sister, The Real Macaw, and Steady Nerves are testament to his songwriting wit. I think that if you start there, and back up into Heat Treatment and Howlin' Wind, it will be like starting with Bllod and Chocolate, and enjoying the thrill of backing into discoveries like Get Happy, This Years Model, My Aim is True. Arguably, Heat Treatment is the strongest of all.
3. I believe that Elvis has borrowed heavily from Graham Parker. I believe that Graham Parker has been less influenced by Elvis. Before I am labeled an EC blasphemer, I prefer the depth and breadth of the Costello catalogue.
4. An extension of the last comment is that I believe that Graham Parker has been more pervasive as an influence than EC. He is a brilliant lyricist, less cerebral than Costello, but no less articulate and witty.

Sunday Morning.
impressions.

Discover Japan. Buy some Parker.
Not just Graham.
Charlie...
Bird.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Graham Parker is a staggeringly talented musician with a decidedly non-vanilla songwriting style. For my money, his body of work isn't as consistent as Elvis Costello's and he hasn't really been able to broaden and expand his approach since the 1970's. Howlin' Wind and Squeezing Out Sparks are superb and his output in the last ten years has been strong.....and yet his sound is still the same as his early days. He has also had ROTTEN luck with record labels that would have likely derailed E.C. from achieving the higher level of commercial visibility he enjoys.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Nobody's mentioned 'Burning Questions' and the quite brilliant 'Struck by Lightning'.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
A rope leash

Good stuff

Post by A rope leash »

Does any one have Burning Questions, or the equally brilliant Struck By Lightning? These two are some of my favorite Graham Parker stuff.

Which do you like best, Jackson, Anybody? Platinum Blonde or The Kid with the Butterfly Net?
girl out of time

G.P.

Post by girl out of time »

Sulky Girl.......you should definitely get G.P´s Discoverin Japan (live acoustic album) or Live Alone in America.
You may also wanna try That´s when you know, a 2-CD set including early songs from the 70s and a live performance.
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....