Goodness me! It's Tony B!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
A rope leash

Goodness me! It's Tony B!

Post by A rope leash »

Nice speech there, Tone. Where's the beef? It's all hype, and no substance.

Okay okay, war is good. Never mind the cost, we saved a few anglo lives, for sure. Saddam bad. Oil good. Let's bypass Iran and go straight for Saudi. O, I forgot, those despots are good despots. How 'bout them brazen Koreans? O, I forgot, they DO have weapons of mass destruction. We wouldn't want to get mussed, now, would we?

Is it just me, or is this guy starting to resemble a monkey? O great, the chimps are in charge...
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

well, i know it's really no comfort at all, but at least he can put together complete english sentences, which is more than can be said for Dubya.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

We have seen the enemy, and it is George...
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Well Rope....no hype and no substance is what 21st Century UK politics are all about . We call it 'spin'' and it is a plague on this land. Who do you believe? Nobody in this administration (ooopps...i mean government). TB is simply a GB poodle and spends his life flying around the world - he's everywhere but where he should be - in the UK.

Perhaps, he should invest a little time giving a little thought to the disgusting state of the education system, the decrepid and filthy hospitals and the quite scandalous wastes of money in the public sector.

This goverment lives by the superfical and they are at last being found out. Public sector employees have known for years that the only thing that matters to New Labour is window dressing. Spurious 'performance indicators' and a culture of police, school and hospital league tables simply do not impove services. Hey..but lets get the paperwork sorted and develop trendy corporate images for our public services...that'll be really cool when your child's school can't afford books and the hospital tells you that your 85 yo grandmother will have to put up with that painful hip for another three years.

...oh and on that subject...the way older people are treated here is diabolical. They are placed in a frightening and under-funded community under the false pretext that this is for their own good. Well, of course it's better to give older people the chance to live in society - but only if there is a bloody decent care framework to support them....only if they can go out for a bag of chips without having some drunk or drugged up, disenfranchised gang of street urchins hitting them over the head for a quid. The reality is that it's cheaper to dump older people in a world that doesn't give a shit.....money,money,money. I visited an older persons' home last week and was sickened by the way that the place was run - stalag 17 - with no thought for the residents....simply the convenience of the staff. The place hadn't been decorated in years and it stank of piss. No dignity for people who deserve better. Nobody seems to give a fuck about anyone else and this is an ethos that seems to be actively promoted by the state.

This is what it's like in Blair's Britain. Sanitised Thatcherism. He would have the world see him as a great statesman of our time....some fall for it when they see him standing tall in congress looking every bit the modern leader. IMHO the emperor has no clothes.

"Liberal is an insult now and Care is what you pay for" - how very true

Rant over.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
A rope leash

Tony B

Post by A rope leash »

Here's a left-wing dissection of the speech Tony gave to Congress...

http://informationclearinghouse.info/article4155.htm
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Jon Stewart was being interviewed the other night and was being asked about Tony Blair and George W. Bush. Stewart commented on how uneasy and unprepared Bush is whenever he is criticized and that all of his U.S. press conferences are absurdly sanitized where Tony Blair has to go before parliament and face down his staunchest critics in furious debate. Interesting observation.
A rope leash

Accountability

Post by A rope leash »

I agree that the USA should have something similar to the "Prime Ministers questions", or what ever it is that they have over there. We get to see it on C-Span. Canada has a similar process, where the Prime Minister and his cabinet is grilled over an open fire, and served up hot before the public eye.

We get nothing like that here, that I'm aware of. Our "press conferences" are little more than photo ops, with hard questions being side-stepped or ignored completely.

Of course, this interrogation of lessers that went on in Dr. Kelly's case is not really the norm in the UK, is it?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Watching Canadian politicans debate on TV is obnoxious, but it's fun seeing people get yelled at sometimes :D
SweetPear

Re: Goodness me! It's Tony B!

Post by SweetPear »

A rope leash wrote: Is it just me, or is this guy starting to resemble a monkey? O great, the chimps are in charge...
"I've been wading through all this unbelievable junk and wondering if I should have given the earth to the monkeys"

~God's Comic~