EC appears in 'Mighty Wind'

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

EC appears in 'Mighty Wind'

Post by ice nine »

When Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hare(sp?) are being interviewed in Tower Records there is a poster for 'My Aim Is True' on a shelfing unit.

It was a funny movie, but not as good as Show
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I actually thought it was better than Best In Show. I'm not sure if I laughed as hysterically at certain things in A Mighty Wind, but I thought the characters were better and was very impressed by the music and the fact that the actors actually played their own instruments, sang, and even wrote the songs in the film.
HungupStrungup

I laughed and laughed at the Folksmen

Post by HungupStrungup »

Isn't it funny that Spinal Tap grew up and became the Folksmen? Actually, given the respective timeframes, what happened is that The Folksmen got younger, grew hair and morphed into Spinal Tap. Oh, and I expect Derek Smalls somehow got his penis back in the process.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
bobster

Post by bobster »

One more vote for "Wind." To me, it was the most consistently entertaining of the three Christopher Guest mock-docks -- to me, each one's been a steady improvement over the last.

I was walking around for days after, laughing like a freak as certain bits of the movie came back to me. (Two favorites -- the wonderfully annoying Bob Balaban getting rapped on the top of the head by the theater manager; and the female PR agent's comment that model trains were important because that's where big trains come from.)

I saw it opening weekend, and it was great to see how Christopher Guest got some of the night's biggest laughs with just a little extra vibrato on the word "well."

And yup I noticed -- and immediately forgot -- the surprise EC appearance. (Though it's actually not too surprising, since Guest & Co. are fans. Harry Schearer's been playing EC for years on his public radio program; I've personally seen Guest and wife Jamie Lee Curtis at EC shows; and last year EC played with Spinal Tap.) Genuises flock together, I suppose.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

In my book it's at least as good as the previous two, if only because the song parodies are SPOT ON. The soundtrack is wonderful.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Catherine O'Hara (a native of Alberta, Canada) made a surprise guest appearance at yesterday's benefit concert here in Toronto. Unfortunately, there was no singing involved :D
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

While I love Fred Willard, he was just a little too far over the top for a faux documentary parody.

The improvised discussion that all life forms spring forth from the 49th harmonic of the color orange, or something to that effect, was hilarious.

While Eugene Levy was absolutely great, the funniest line for me was in the interview wherein Quest, et al are describing the record company cutbacks associated with the fall-off of record sales. "...in a cost-cutting move, they released our albums unpunched, leaving up to the purchaser to try to locate the exact center of the lp and punch the hole themselves. Which often caused sort-of a worbling sound ..." something like that.

I was on the floor. I cannot imagine delivering those lines with a straight face...
bobster

Post by bobster »

Or how about Ed Begley as the Yiddish-spouting Swedish-American ex-garage rocker?

And can anyone remember the acronym for the group that Bob Balaban's character belonged to as a child. Something like the JAPL, "The Jewish-American Polo League"?

I do have to say that I kind of agree the Fred Willard kind of treads a fine line, as does Eugene Levy, usually. And Willard did make me laugh. But here Levy does probably his best work...and did anyone else think of Brian Wilson with regard to his character?

It's hard to pick favorites among an amazing group like this, but I think Catherine O'Hara is just pure genius. And that pagan couple were hilarious. (Can't remember the male actor's name, but he pretty much stole "Best in Show" as Michael McKean's "flamboyant" significant other.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

John Michael Higgins. He also wrote the title song, which is one of the best of the bunch. He's a genius.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare