Sam Phillips

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Sam Phillips

Post by El Vez »

Sam Phillips, the genius pioneer behind Sun Records, has just passed away. He was 80 years old. This is a sad, sad thing. He was responsible for getting a lot of great music on record and giving so many important artists their first big break. Rest in peace.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Along with Leonard Chess and John Hammond Sr., Sam Phillips was one of the first white record producers to recognize the power and emotion of black roots music.

In many ways, he's responsible for fusing black and white musics to create rock 'n' roll, even though he isn't a performer. He had this great powerful personality that I admired very much, and he is definitely a loss to the world of music.

So long, Sam. Say hello to Elvis, Roy, and Carl for us all.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I spent the early part of this week in Memphis and drove by Sun Records - it looked like a souvineer shop so I didn't go in, I now wish I had. Sam Phillips was truly one of the handful of people responsible for harnessing rock n' roll. RIP Sam.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Sam Phillips is definitely a loss. If any of you heard one of his interviews with Terry Gross, he also seemed like a truly cool guy too.

But is it just my imagination or are legends of all shapes and sizes dropping like flies lately?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Not your imagination, Bobster, but you gotta remember, Sam wasn't exactly a young pup even way back when. Check out "Coffins on Parade: The Book of Death" at:

http://www.msu.edu/~daggy/cop/bkofdead/obits-5-.htm

I mean, there are people here I didn't even know WERE dead!!

Linda Lovelace, removed from life support because she was "brain dead" after an Auto Accident??

I did NOT know....
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Bobster's right. Hepburn, Peck, Phillips.......true giants who put real numbers on the board. I have a sick theory that it took us losing Hepburn and Peck to finally get a turd like Strom Thurmond to shuffle off this mortal coil. Who do you think we can get for Sam Phillips? Perhaps that idiot Bill Pryor from Alabama (another of the endless blights on my home state) who thinks that Roe vs. Wade was the worst decision in the history of the Supreme Court. Maybe Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell?