Brodskys with Elvis in London tonight

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Brodskys with Elvis in London tonight

Post by johnfoyle »

I've only just noticed this ; will they , perhaps , join Elvis after doing a support slot?

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.picnicconcerts.com/artist_de ... .asp?ev=58

ELVIS COSTELLO
& The Imposters
Supported by The Brodsky Quartet
Saturday 2nd July 2005 at 7.30pm
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Was I the only boardperson there? Yeah, a great day.

I had the tickets long before the announcement of Live 8, had tried repeatedly to get Live 8 tix and failed so after hearing Paul and U2 from outside Hyde Park, myself and herself had ended up in Regent's Park watching it all on a big screen. By 6pm it was time to head up to Kenwood House, a place I knew nothing about. Now we were having a great day, Live 8 was just getting going and I hadn't been looking forward to EC because of his poor turns on:
(1) The Kumars
(2) Johnny Vegas
(3) Glastonbury (on TV)
...and I expected Kenwood House to be undersubscribed and unfulfilling. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.

Arrived in Hampsted for the gig, a verrrrry posh part of North London, for those who don't know, arrived outside this lovely country home and we were led up a winding drive, around the side of the impressive house and onto a big expansive field bordering on a lake and some woods. We noticed that the vibe of the gig was picnicky and became pretty envious of the hampers and coolboxes carried by about everyother person.

In the ticketed area there were reasonabley priced drinks and free food. Free food! How nice. Into the "Premium Area" there were rows of deckchairs and although I was excitable about my second row seats you could now tell that the stage was accross a small lake, peeking out of the woods.

7.30, no support, EC&TI appear and launch in "Temptation" and it was just a really great set. Good vibes in the crowd, everyone behind me was eating and drinking wine, behind the deckchairs the crowd stretched up onto a small hill behind. Only two tracks from TDM, the setlist seemed to have a bit of everything even if it featured nothing from IB, GCW, KOA, B&C, MLAR, ATUB.

The Brodskys were a surprise to me and a real treat, suited the sylvian ambiance perfectly. It was all over at 9.30 on the dot.

Then there were fireworks, I dig fireworks.

Back in N1 it was hitting 11 and walking by a pub I saw Live 8 was overrunning badly, so I hadn't missed The Who or Floyd. Watched the Who in the pub but then they closed up so I legged it home to watch Pink Floyd. Weren't they fantastic? I was anxious that they wouldn't live up to the hype but I was blown away by what they did.

What a great day.

What I can remember of the setlist:
Tempation
Clown Strike
Country Darkness
Monkey To Man
Clubland
Pills & Soap*
Rocking Horse Road*
Real Emotional Girl*
I Almost Had A Weakness*
The Birds Will Still Be Singing*
Still ^
God’s Comic **
Good Year for the Roses
Everyday I write the Book
Chesea
PLU
Oliver’s Army
Pump It Up
Why Don’t You Love Me Like You Used To Do
Mystery Dance
Alison

Encores:
The Scarlet Tide
(with a guest African musician whose name escapes me)
My Mood Swings ^^
A Jerome Kern Number ^^
God Give Me Strength ^^

* With The Brodskys
^ Wth The Brodskys and Steve
** With Steve
^^ With The Imposters and The Brodskys
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome back , Dr J !
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Dr J! Where you been? We meet up in London and then you disappear. I thought I'd said something! Glad you were there. I was going to be, but fancied a combination of Elvis and camping, so Cornbury it is. Wonder if he'll do the same sort of set. If so, great! Stick around.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

What a gorgeous experience! Thank you for sharing it with us, DrJ.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ah - you can't beat those intimate club dates :lol:

Love had to conquer all on Saturday. Having taken Mrs VG to tea at The Savoy and then to see Mamma Mia in the afternoon for her birthday, I got a phone call from my Elvis mate who said his wife couldn't go and there was a free ticket if I wanted it. Whilst Mrs VG said "You can go if you want", I think the rest of the muttered sentence was something along the lines of "...but if you dare go then don't think you're ever..." and the rest of the sentence was lost :lol: So I gave it a miss.

Thanks for the report DrJ.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Nice report, and nice to see you around again.
signed with love and vicious kisses
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/050702.php

2005-07-02: London, Hampstead Heath
Elvis Costello with the Imposters & the Brodsky Quartet
- David Crozier/Alan Hildrew

Temptation - Imposters
Clown Strike - Imposters
45 - Imposters
Country Darkness - Imposters
Monkey To Man - Imposters
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea - Imposters
Clubland - with I Feel Pretty - Imposters
Good Year For The Roses - Imposters
Pills And Soap - Brodsky Quartet
Rocking Horse Road - with Wild Thing - Brodsky Quartet
Real Emotional Girl - Brodsky Quartet
I Almost Had A Weakness - Brodsky Quartet
The Birds Will Still Be Singing - Brodsky Quartet
Still - Brodsky Quartet and Steve Nieve
God's Comic - Elvis and Steve Nieve
Everyday I Write The Book - Imposters
Mystery Dance - Imposters
Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)? - Imposters
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - Imposters
Oliver's Army - Imposters
Pump It Up - Imposters
Alison/Suspicious Minds - Imposters
Encore 1
The Scarlet Tide - Imposters and Rise Kagona, guest guitarist from Bhundu Boys
Encore 2
My Mood Swings - Brodsky Quartet
Encore 3
They Didn't Believe Me - Brodsky Quartet
Almost Blue - Imposters and Brosky Quartet
God Give Me Strength - Imposters and Brosky Quartet

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rise Kagona, guest guitarist from Bhundu Boys

Kudos to Elvis for remembering this particular African musician.

see also

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 2537#62537
( extract)

"Observing the music business," Andy Kershaw tells me, "there are certain things that you learn - if not to accept - then at least to understand. But there are two things I will never understand. One is how Rise Kagona can be working in a charity shop on the outskirts of Edinburgh. The other is how the widow of my best friend has ended up cleaning toilets at a beer hall in Harare."
Otis Westinghouse

And did I read that others of them are dead? AIDS, of course. Good on you, Elv. Would very much like to hear Rocking Horse Road with Brodskys.

VG: you have undergone the ultimate test of marital loyalty. Congratulations, you have chosen wisely, even though a little part of you will always dwell on how that pleasant evening in the park might have felt.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

That's quite a story. EC said something on the night about foolishly passing up a chance to work with the band in the 80's and having come back into contact with Rise.

As ardent Spike and BYouth fans the versions of Clown Strike, God's Comic and Rocking Horse Road were perfect. Pity You Tripped at Every Step hasn't popped up recently.

Poor VG, here's a revised review to make you feel like you didn't miss anything: "What a bad gig. It rained all the time and EC did all his songs on a kazoo. The end."
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
verbal gymnastics

DrJ wrote:Poor VG, here's a revised review to make you feel like you didn't miss anything: "...EC did all his songs on a kazoo. The end."
You've made it worse! :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Ahhh, Watching The Detectives au kazoo, nothing can quite match the experience...
verbal gymnastics

What? You've seen it too? :mrgreen:

:lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Strange setting. Watching a concert from across a small lake? Bizarre. Did anyone try to swim across? :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Stagediving could take on a whole new meaning! :P
What this world needs is more silly men.
verbal gymnastics

:lol:

Did he change the lyric in Oliver's Army to "...the boys from the Mersey and the Thames and the lake in the middle of Kenwood House"?
jillbeast

Post by jillbeast »

I'd be bummed to be separated from the boys by that large lake! Still, seems like it was a really cool gig! Hope all of you Londoners are alright today...please check in and let us know you are alright!

jillbeast
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Aaah Hampstead. It always reminds me of the Python sketch - the working class playwright. Was Elvis wearing his "fancy suit" ?

(Opening Scene: A sitting room, a mother wiping her hands on her apron is ushering in a young man in a suit.)

Mum: Oh dad... look who's come to see us... it's our Ken.
Dad: (without looking up) Aye, and about bloody time if you ask me.
Ken: Aren't you pleased to see me, father?
Mum: (squeezing his arm reassuringly) Of course he's pleased to see you,
Ken, he...
Dad: All right, woman, all right I've got a tongue in my head - I'll do 'talkin'. (looks at Ken distastefully) Aye ... I like yer fancy suit. Is that what they're wearing up in Yorkshire now?
Ken: It's just an ordinary suit, father... it's all I've got apart from the overalls.
(Dad turns away with an expression of scornful disgust.)
Mum: How are you liking it down the mine, Ken?
Ken: Oh it's not too bad, mum... we're using some new tungsten carbide drills for the preliminary coal-face scouring operations.
Mum: Oh that sounds nice, dear...
Dad: Tungsten carbide drills! What the bloody hell's tungsten carbide drills?
Ken: It's something they use in coal-mining, father.
Dad: (mimicking) 'It's something they use in coal-mining, father'. You're all bloody fancy talk since you left London.
Ken: Oh not that again.
Mum: He's had a hard day dear... his new play opens at the National Theatre tomorrow.
Ken: Oh that's good.
Dad: Good! good? What do you know about it? What do you know about getting up at five o'clock in t'morning to fly to Paris... back at the Old Vic for drinks at twelve, sweating the day through press interviews, television interviews and getting back here at ten to wrestle with the problem of a homosexual nymphomaniac drug-addict involved in the ritual murder of a well known Scottish footballer. That's a full working day, lad, and don't you forget it!
Mum: Oh, don't shout at the boy, father.
Dad: Aye, 'ampstead wasn't good enough for you, was it? ... you had to go poncing off to Barnsley, you and yer coal-mining friends. (spits)
Ken: Coal-mining is a wonderful thing father, but it's something you'll never understand. Just look at you!
Mum: Oh Ken! Be careful! You know what he's like after a few novels.
Dad: Oh come on lad! Come on, out wi' it! What's wrong wi' me?... yet tit!
Ken: I'll tell you what's wrong with you. Your head's addled with novels and poems, you come home every evening reeling of Chateau La Tour...
Mum: Oh don't, don't.
Ken: And look what you've done to mother! She's worn out with meeting film stars, attending premieres and giving gala luncheons...
Dad: There's nowt wrong wi' gala luncheons, lad! I've had more gala luncheons than you've had hot dinners!
Mum: Oh please!
Dad: Aaaaaaagh! (clutches hands and sinks to knees)
Mum: Oh no!
Ken: What is it?
Mum: Oh, it's his writer's cramp!
Ken: You never told me about this...
Mum: No, we didn't like to, Kenny.
Dad: I'm all right! I'm all right, woman. Just get him out of here.
Mum: Oh Ken! You'd better go ...
Ken: All right. I'm going.
Dad: After all we've done for him...
Ken: (at the door) One day you'll realize there's more to life than culture. There's dirt, and smoke, and good honest sweat!
Dad: Get out! Get out! Get OUT! You ... LABOURER!
(Ken goes. Shocked silence. Dad goes to table and takes the cover off the typewriter.)
Dad: Hey, you know, mother, I think there's a play there .... get t'agent on t'phone.
Mum: Aye I think you're right, Frank, it could express, it could express a vital theme of our age...
Dad: Aye.
Where's North from 'ere?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

stormwarning wrote:... I like yer fancy suit. Is that what they're wearing up in Yorkshire now?
Luxury!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.com/news.aspx

Note from Elvis:
The great guitarist, Rise Kagona, joined us for a performance of "The Scarlet Tide" at our Kenwood House show on 2nd July. He really transformed the song and I would really urge you to check Rise out whenever he is playing next.

We worked together briefly in the 1980s, when I can't say that I made a great job of producing some tracks for the Bhundu Boys.When we found ourselves booked to play on the same day as Live 8, I imagined that we might even need to cancel the show and was surprised to find such a substantial crowd at our concert. Given the unhappy history of the band and Rise's home country, Zimbabwe, one might have imagined him being a musical witness at the big event across town. However, this was not to be, so at the suggestion of my friend, Robert Chalmers, I invited Rise to join us and he, in turn, chose to play on the "The Scarlet Tide".

It was great to see Rise again and to play together for the first time. I thought that you might be interested to read this article -

http://www.elviscostello.com/news072505.html?

- which is reprinted with thanks to the author and "The Independent".
Despite everything that you will read, I hope that there will be good days ahead for this wonderful musician through the interest of new listeners. It's about the future, it always is.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Record Collector , Sept. 05

ELVIS COSTELLO

London Kenwood House, 2/7/05

View: far, far away from the stage

Set in the glorious surroundings of Hampstead’s Kenwood House, the 54th year of these annual celebrations saw Elvis Costello, at one point a man at odds with the picnic-munching, babyboomer audience he drew today, take to the stage (on the far side of a lake!) to romp through nearly three decades of hits (with some misses).

Flying in the face of local residents like Henry Kelly, who were up in arms about the noise from these gigs (and placated by a specially designed sound system), there was something nearly punk rock about the treatment of tracks like Oliver’s Army and Pump It Up — anyone actually bothering to listen over the champagne cork-popping and quiche-slicing might have heard him turn in one of the most affecting performances of his career. Backing band The Imposters were as tight as ever, and The Brodsky Quartet, brought on for an encore of sorts (before the fireworks) added a poignancy to the man’s great voice, to which the more obvious, crowd-pleasing numbers could only aspire.

The gig took place on the same day as Live 8. It might seem churlish to say it, but the excitement and punch from Costello on stage illustrated the vast poverty gap that exists in London. It felt truly rebellious to be one of the few in the park without an SUV, a mortgage or a subscription to Horse And Hound. Likewise, it felt like a privilege to be one of the few who actually owned a copy of This Year’s Model. Inverted snobbery? Pah!
Jake Kennedy
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

A torrent of this show is now available here

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=81691

Thanks to funkygibbon for this photo

Otis Westinghouse

So where's Cornbury?
verbal gymnastics

Oxford isn't it? You should know, you went there :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It took a while but THE CURSE OF COSTELLO STRIKES AGAIN!

http://www.hornseyjournal.co.uk/content ... 3A41%3A043

Kenwood concerts scrapped

22 February 2007

( extract)

THE POPULAR summer concert season in the grounds of Highgate's Kenwood House - attended by tens of thousands of people each year - has been axed after 55 years.

Property owners English Heritage said the series was "no longer financially viable" after Camden Council ordered the number of concerts last year cut from 10 to eight.