The Queen Is Twenty

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

The Queen Is Twenty

Post by Mike Boom »

Great article in this months Uncut celebrating the 20th anniversary of the recording of the Smiths "The Queeen Is Dead". Interestingly, all the ex Smiths regard "Strangeways" as a better album and their true masterpiece. Im not so sure , but its close. Strangeways is damn fine and contains some of their finest moments for sure, but at the time The Queen is Dead was definitely their highpoint. Its still jaw droppingly good and it really is hard to beat that opening title track. Best start to a record ever, and amazingly the rest of the album manages to maintain that level of brilliance. If ever a record saved my life, its this one, "them was rotten days."
Thanks to Mozzer and the gang!

This issue of Uncut also comes with a nice John Peel Festive 50 CD with the Mighty Wah, Felt , House of Love, The Woodentops and other goodies.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Love The Queen Is Dead. But I actually agree with them about Strangeways. Still, both records are amazing.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Yeah, I think "Paint a Vulgar Picture" lets Strangeways down a bit, whereas I really love EVERY song on TQID.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

This is not a subject about which I can argue, and certainly not with another fan of both records. I love both albums all the way through. So for you to prefer Queen to Strangeways is a bit like prefering Rubber Soul to Revolver. It's all good. (Though Revolver's better).
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare