40 DAYS OF ELVIS COSTELLO: A Countdown To WISE UP GHOST

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Re: 40 DAYS OF ELVIS COSTELLO: A Countdown To WISE UP GHOST

Post by Neil. »

verbal gymnastics wrote: Neil. I need to disagree with you.

Art should have only one viewpoint so that everybody knows what it is all about and should not be open to interpretation or ambiguity.

By the way, I hope you are going to wear a violent nylon suit to my 50th birthday party :lol:
Thanks for putting me straight, Verbs. Actually, regarding togs for your party, I did consider some turquoise pyjamas and a motorcycle hat. But I've decided I look better in my elevator shoes and stovepipe hat! :lol:

Listened to Brutal Youth for the first time in ages last night. Loved it! And Connor's excellent piece has made me want to revisit My Dark Life. Which idiot said that writing about music was like dancing about architecture?!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Interesting question. The answer appears to be Martin Mull coined it, but about painting, and where isn't clear. First known written citation by Gary Sperazza!

This looks like a handy site:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/11/08 ... out-music/
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Interesting question. The answer appears to be Martin Mull coined it, but about painting, and where isn't clear. First known written citation by Gary Sperazza!

This looks like a handy site:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/11/08 ... out-music/
Actually, I was being ironic - wasn't it Elvis who said it?

P.S. Ooh, now that I've read the article you linked to, I'm not so sure!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Neil. wrote:Do it on the board - it sounds interesting!

But make it into another thread, otherwise it'll clog up the Connor thread.

I don't mind if someone disagrees with me - art provokes different opinions. But if there's an argument that perhaps it shouldn't, and that there might be a 'correct' viewpoint - then that sounds like a fascinating discussion!
I would propose this thread if others are eager to continue this discussion:

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 8#p7707345
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
cwr

Post by cwr »

Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

On the other thing: I don't have the stamina to get back into an argument that I've engaged several times over the years - I find, ultimately, that there is no point in arguing with people who po-facedly insist that there is no meaningful aesthetic distinction to be made between Mozart and a musically illiterate 5-year-old banging on a piano keyboard. So I'll just assert the unsurprising view that there is plenty of room for legitimate differences of taste, but also that there has to be a point at which we insist on more objective distinctions of worth.

Now then: ATUB. I enjoyed, as always, Connor's take, which captures some of my sense that this album isn't a total success. As usual, though, I take a somewhat more negative stance than he does. In my view, the songs on this album by and large just aren't good enough. The rewrite of "Telescope" loses as much as it gains, "Little Atoms" is pretty but comes off as a writing exercise, the title track begins promisingly before bogging itself down in a morass of pious humanist abstractions, "Atlas" is strong but suffers from a similar slip to high-minded abstraction as it proceeds - I never could stand the "tent of azure" line and the general attempt to move from a personal story to a universal feminist argument in this song; again the word "pious" comes to mind - the nice-enough "You Bowed Down" disappoints from the sheer banality of its theme (wait, you mean people sell out in the music business? Really???) and also suffers from being twinned with another song that makes a similarly tired and self-indulgent point about show business. And I never quite saw what the big deal is about "Complicated Shadows," while "Why Can't a Man" just seems artificial and overwrought.

It's not that these are bad songs, exactly - certainly not. It's more that the writer's inspiration level has clearly dropped. The band, meanwhile, tastefully serves the songs but does not elevate them into anything more than the flawed or relatively minor pieces they often are. I will say, though, that the inclusion of "Almost Ideal Eyes" might have altered my judgement significantly, as that genuinely inspired song would change the equation. Add that to "I Want to Vanish" and "It's Time" and you're moving toward a critical mass of unambiguously strong tracks.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

It has always been an album of 'diminished' returns for me and one which has seemed to be further 'diminished' by the inexplicable failure to include "Almost Ideal Eyes" and "My Dark Eyes" in its initial release, the latter being a superlative addition to pop standards and that theme of 'no second acts' or at least their diminished capacity when they are attempted. :(
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
cwr

Post by cwr »

On the other thing: I don't have the stamina to get back into an argument that I've engaged several times over the years - I find, ultimately, that there is no point in arguing with people who po-facedly insist that there is no meaningful aesthetic distinction to be made between Mozart and a musically illiterate 5-year-old banging on a piano keyboard. So I'll just assert the unsurprising view that there is plenty of room for legitimate differences of taste, but also that there has to be a point at which we insist on more objective distinctions of worth.
I think where I draw the line is when notions like "this song is unlistenable" or this song is "melodically incomprehensible" move beyond the implied "(I personally find this song) unlistenable" or "(I personally find this song) melodically incomprehensible" to the suggestion that a listener who finds said song either "extremely listenable" or "melodically comprehensible" is somehow being "too forgiving" or that they "can't hear" what's wrong with the song. In a similar sense, I've always been frustrated with critical reviews of Costello albums that pre-emptively dismiss anyone who might like them as invalid because anyone who likes the album is a fan ("oh, of course the diehard FANS will eat this up, but for us real people with high standards, we know the truth...")

There are, of course, meaningful aesthetic distinctions to be made, but if someone were to say "anyone who can't hear that the beauty of an innocent 5-year old banging on a piano has a soulfulness that Mozart could never fully capture is incapable of human emotion" I'd have more of a problem with that than if they said "I've never really been into classical music, but when my 5-year old makes up songs on the piano, I have to admit it stirs something in me. I'd rather listen to those than a piece by Mozart."

I mean, I'm somewhat guilty of this as well, it's an easy thing to fall into when you're passionate about music-- or anything, really-- it's why people get into big arguments about the "Top 100" anything. My post today asserts that Costello shouldn't have cut two songs from All This Useless Beauty, and I say so almost as if it is Science Fact. I have always felt pretty strongly that the album would be better-- and, perhaps more significantly, would have been better received at the time-- if he hadn't cut the two towering songs, "God Give Me Strength" (as played by The Attractions) and "Almost Ideal Eyes", which would have (I think) lifted the album up a notch and made it feel like more of a Major Album. Costello has admitted that "Almost Ideal Eyes" should have been included, but still-- some people for whom ATUB is their favorite albums probably think I'm full of shit and that the album is fine just as it is.

For me, it's a significant point because the poor reception of that album (decent but mixed reviews and poor record sales) sort of sent Costello into a downward spiral, which led to him sort of taking a break. He got into the fight with Bruce, he got mad at the label and quite Warner Bros. despite previously having a healthy relationship with them for years, it just generally seemed like ATUB's failure put him in a bad mood and made him give up for a while. I know that seems funny to say, given that he had Painted From Memory just two years later, and lots of pretty high profile stuff like "She", but between 1996 and 2002 he had zero albums of his own, a pretty big gap for him. He had the Bacharach thing and the Von Otter thing, and then a handful of soundtracks and guest appearances, but it's easy enough to speculate that if ATUB had succeeded, it would have maybe sent him on a slightly different path.

But I think it would be one thing for me to argue the context and point to things I think indicate that those songs should have been included, and quite another for me to veer into suggesting that, for instance, "anyone who can't see that those two songs should have been added is living in a fantasy world; they've deluded themselves into the thinking the album is complete, when clearly it is lacking..."

I don't know... it's just my own natural tendency, and sometimes it makes me a little bit wishy-washy, but I think there's a difference between total relativism (i.e. "it's ALL good, everything is equal") and accepting that these are all personal points-of-view and no manner of asserting that they are correct will make them anything more than that. I know from more than a few attempts to convert people who "just don't like his voice" that you hit a wall at a certain point. I can't make them like Costello's singing voice. However, if they were to turn it back to me and say his voice is "unlistenable" and that I only like it because I'm "too forgiving" I think that's where the trouble begins!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This is my least favourite Attractions album. It is disjointed in my view. I find many of the songs disappointing and lyrically not to the usual standard. The four singles in July didn't exactly set the world or my world alight and the remixes were awful. The other end of the telescope was the only stand out track for me.

I was interested though about the Attractions outtake of God Give Me Strength. Is this from a CD or session in circulation? Could some light be shed about tracks etc.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

cwr wrote:Costello has admitted that "Almost Ideal Eyes" should have been included
He does say this in the liner notes, but not for the most convincing of reasons:

"Almost Ideal Eyes" is an out-take that should probably have remained part of the album – if only for the bizarre guitar playing in the fade."

I've never really got what people see in this song. The syllables per second factor verges on self-parody and the fast into slow segues just sound to forced. Not good songwriting to my mind. I'm very glad he didn't include it on ATUB which I've always loved. One of his most listenable albums. I played it to death at the time and found almost all the songs repaid extensive listening, much more so than almost all the things he's done since MLAR. Real quality of writing and performing.

How anyone could possibly want to listen to TJL over ATUB is utterly beyond me, but hey, there's no accounting for taste.
Otis Westinghouse

verbal gymnastics wrote:I was interested though about the Attractions outtake of God Give Me Strength. Is this from a CD or session in circulation? Could some light be shed about tracks etc.
Doesn't it just refer to the live version linked to in the CWR text? I don't recall hearing it before, but it sounds very good. Makes me think it would indeed have set well on ATUB. Do you have details on what show that was from, Connor?
cwr

Post by cwr »

There is a studio outtake of The Attractions doing "God Give Me Strength" that is very similar to the live version I linked to. Costello doesn't nail the vocal in the bridge, but you can tell from the take that they had a good version within reach. Even if they just re-did the vocal, I think it would have sat very well on ATUB!

In the liner notes for the ATUB reissue, he mentions that "I know that "God Give Me Strength" was among the titles that I recorded with the Attractions but no decent mix of it has come to light."

I always liked the version that was led by Steve's piano part-- the Bacharach mix for the Grace Of My Heart version is great but it's a much slower take on it, and I think the song is strong enough for both versions to have been released officially!

Another big fan of "Almost Ideal Eyes" is Diana Krall-- I recall an interview somewhere where she was asked about her favorite Costello songs and she specifically mentioned that one! I am glad it did get another hearing on My Flame Burns Blue.

It is interesting how varied the reactions are to each new album-- I think this seems to increase a bit as we get into the WB era, and I'm assuming it will get even more varied going forward. Some people think of ATUB as perfect, and it has their favorite songs, and other people find it disjointed and don't care much for the songs.

I'd be very curious for EC to take another stab at an album with ATUB's original concept-- there are still quite a few unrecorded songs in his Songbook, written for or with other artists, including the one he wrote with Carole King, "Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter" and "Tommy's Coming Home Again." Those two songs alone are a great start to a pretty tremendous album. (My preference would obviously be for him to make a whole album with just Costello & McCartney and two guitars, singing a bunch of songs in harmony-- but at the very minimum, surely he'd be able to get Sir Paul to come into a studio to cut a simple version of "Tommy's Coming Home Again" that would capture that great dynamic they have on their demos, right?)

What other songs would be in contention for a second "volume" of Useless Beauties?

"Unwanted Number"?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I was interested though about the Attractions outtake of God Give Me Strength. Is this from a CD or session in circulation? Could some light be shed about tracks etc.
Doesn't it just refer to the live version linked to in the CWR text? I don't recall hearing it before, but it sounds very good. Makes me think it would indeed have set well on ATUB. Do you have details on what show that was from, Connor?
An Attractions version of God Give Me Strength was reportedly recorded during the album sessions in Feb 96 listed as (alternative version) sadly, It doesn't appear to be in circulation :(
Otis Westinghouse

cwr wrote:There is a studio outtake of The Attractions doing "God Give Me Strength" that is very similar to the live version I linked to. Costello doesn't nail the vocal in the bridge, but you can tell from the take that they had a good version within reach. Even if they just re-did the vocal, I think it would have sat very well on ATUB!
Care to share?
cwr wrote:Another big fan of "Almost Ideal Eyes" is Diana Krall-- I recall an interview somewhere where she was asked about her favorite Costello songs and she specifically mentioned that one! I am glad it did get another hearing on My Flame Burns Blue.
Well now I like it even less! :lol: I really don't like the MFTB version. Listened to both last night, at least the Attractions one has the Attractions playing it. I love the sound and the feel of them on ATUB. I recall really enjoying seeing them at the Roundhouse on the tour. I'll have to check one of the bootlegs from the time (The Empire Strikes Back?) to revisit how they were sounding. Verbal: didn't you go to 4 weekends running, including the Empire one? How would you rate their sound compared to other outings? I really loved the Distorted Angel segue into Chelsea, which was basically the melody of Chelsea sung over the groove of DA.
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

I'll agree that "Almost Ideal Eyes" is kind of awkward and cluttered. But it is definitely, as PD says, "inspired," and rhythmically I think one of the most unique things EC did with the Attractions. I'm happy to have it as a B-side but I think I prefer "All This Useless Beauty," one of my favorite EC records, without it.

Thanks for your write-ups (and the ensuing discussions!), Connor--I've been following from afar and have been really enjoying everyone's comments.
KD's music blog
KD's book
cwr

Post by cwr »

"Almost Ideal Eyes" -- definitely a divisive track!

I do feel like, love it or hate it, it's one of the more ambitious songs he recorded for ATUB-- compared to a perfectly good track like "Shallow Grave", which feels like the type of thing he and McCartney could cook up in their sleep. (Admittedly, that's part of the charm of that track, but it still feels to me like what ATUB maybe needed to get a little bit more respect was a couple more songs that would have perhaps grabbed people's attention.)
cwr

Post by cwr »

Oh, and also:

DAY 27: COSTELLO & NIEVE / EXTREME HONEY (& MORE!)

http://connorratliff.tumblr.com/post/60 ... ve-extreme
Jack of All Parades

Now does begin some fun times- I still can remember passing by the door of J&R Music and seeing on a plaquard outside that a new exclusive box set was for sale upstairs for $7.99 for EC. Was not even aware at the time of its issuance. Went upstairs and purchased it and have never regretted it to this day. That EC/Nieve 5 city retrospective is pure joy for my ears. I, too, enjoy the Harle contributions. I have always been appreciative that he had this chance to go off and regroup as a musican and writer. I think he came back a better artist.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:Now does begin some fun times- I still can remember passing by the door of J&R Music and seeing on a plaquard outside that a new exclusive box set was for sale upstairs for $7.99 for EC. Was not even aware at the time of its issuance. Went upstairs and purchased it and have never regretted it to this day. That EC/Nieve 5 city retrospective is pure joy for my ears. I, too, enjoy the Harle contributions. I have always been appreciative that he had this chance to go off and regroup as a musican and writer. I think he came back a better artist.
Hmmm. In the long run, perhaps, but I'm not entirely sure about this. My tendency is to see the period from (oh) 1995 to 2005 as a bit of a mess for our man. (Arguably, the slippage had begun earlier, with MLAR, but the plot really begins to fray to my mind around this time). He continues to do interesting, powerful work - especially on stage - but this meandering decade, punctuated by the dismal When I Was Cruel is hard for me to classify as the work of a "stronger artist" than the fellow who made King of America and Blood and Chocolate in one year. Indeed, tipping my hand about future entries here, it's not until National Ransom that EC feels fully "back" to me as a creative force at his peak. So "stronger artist" seems a tad wishful to me...but I'd be interested to hear the argument...
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

I know it's about three weeks late but I did want to retroactively speak up in favor of "Almost Blue":
Poor Deportee wrote:Is there any reason - apart from being a completist - that one would need to own this album? I always felt that if I wanted these songs, I'd get them in the original; and the cuts from this album that I have heard don't seem to add enough to motivate me to seek it out. It seems a pleasant enough album but, in effect, a curio.
I would say any of his proper albums fall slightly outside "completist" territory--when I hear "completist," I think of a person who's stockpiling multiple versions of the same CD single because they're from different countries and have slightly different artwork, objects that are little more than shelf-filling novelty items. All of EC's proper studio releases are of greater interest than that, at least to someone who EC has affected enough to the point that they're posting on internet forums devoted to him. Don't get me wrong--there is a novelty to "Almost Blue," but it's also the product of a legitimate vision that its creator cared enough about to see through to its final, full-length end, so much so that the process generated a bonus disc of material that was 2.5 times the length of the album itself.

To me the idea that "if I wanted these songs, I get the originals" seems to miss the purpose of a record like "Almost Blue" (or "Kojak Variety," or anything else in the same vein); while the Attractions aren't radically reimagining these songs the way they do, say, "I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down," I've always felt that that different voice was enough to reframe the material, to yank it from the larger, less specific world of "Nashville songs" and deposit it into Elvis's stranger, more personalized body of work. I mean, you're not wrong that it's a curio, but to me that's an argument in favor of owning it, not against it. If nothing else, he and the band put their hearts into the project, and at the very least we get some fine vocal and band performances out of the deal.
KD's music blog
KD's book
jardine

Post by jardine »

If I may stick my toe in the hot water discussed above:

When I read "(I personally find this song) unlistenable" or "(I personally find this song) melodically incomprehensible" I have to say that many of you who are discussing these lovely cwr postings are much more experienced, have listened to a much broader array of ECs work that I have access to, have thought about them longer and in more detail, more carefully and insightfully than I have...

...therefore, the "I personally find. . ." is not an anonymous add-on, as if every listening is the identical "I personally." This countdown makes be experience quite clearly the poverty of my own "I personally." Many of you are finding things and expressing things and hearing things that my own "I personally" is not experienced enough to find. So when you find it and express it, I learn something, not just about you and your "perspectives" but about the songs... So when I heard something expressed by someone, I tend to at least ATTEMPT to, shall we say, take what is said seriously as a claim about the song being discussed and therefore as challenge, not to "me personally" but to my own limited ability to hear what is going on in the song.

This wonderful countdown is a prime e.g. of this for me. It is always "just your/my opinion," but your opinion can be revealing if you're thoughtful and insightful and practiced at this and can lead me to an insight about the song that I wasn't able to have if I simply stayed with what's "mine." I'm always reading this posts for something that isn't just "yours" or "mine" but "the song's."

...and so on
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Connor has clearly given us all a gift with this thread. I'm now coming on here daily, with interest to see the latest developments in the conversation, whereas before I merely dipped in and out. He's really upped the forum's game, so to speak.

On this issue of personal preference, etc....my own view is that constantly adding the rider "this is only my personal opinion" (or some variant thereof) is simply redundant. Any critic, no matter how knowledgable, is obviously giving their views. Of course, some views are more informed than others. When it comes to art, "informed" does not mean possessed of fixed ontological certitudes - there's no escaping burdens of judgement - but rather means deep, sustained, thoughtful and reflexive immersion in the art form. But informed or not, continually reminding one's reader that an element of subjectivity is involved seems pointless.

Now maybe I was out of line in saying "there's something too forgiving about a listener who can't hear X or Y" in the specific case at issue (although I don't think so). I do, however, think there is such a thing as too forgiving a listener. Such a listener, in archetypical form, loves everything about a given artist's work. E.g., "I think Elvis's voice is invariably fabulous!!" Well, you know, EC certainly can sing and his voice is a serviceable instrument most of the time. But his voice is not especially nimble; compare him, say, with the effortless clambering up and down the treble clef of McCartney in his prime; or Dylan's incredibly mercurial and inventive playing with rhythm and melody - to say nothing of the great jazz/pop classics like Sinatra or Fitzgerald - well, there is no comparison, really. It's fine to say one loves EC's singing all the time, but this involves a surrendering of critical faculties.

Which we all do. We all have what could be called "guilty" pleasures - things we just enjoy, even though we recognize that this is more for personal or idiosyncratic reasons that are hard to defend in the wider world. And I agree 100% that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But someone who loves Spider-Man comics simply has ZERO case in trying to say they're "as good as" Shakespeare even though they may personally enjoy Spider-Man more. There's a difference between having a case and just having a raw personal feeling.
Last edited by Poor Deportee on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
cwr wrote:Verbal: didn't you go to 4 weekends running, including the Empire one? How would you rate their sound compared to other outings? I really loved the Distorted Angel segue into Chelsea, which was basically the melody of Chelsea sung over the groove of DA.
I did indeed. I went to all four Fridays at Shepherds Bush Empire in July. The show on 26th was the best I'd ever seen the Attractions. The sound and playing was great, but then it's a good venue. I loved the inclusion of You've Been Cheating in Rockinghorse Road.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

Poor Deportee wrote:Connor has clearly given us all a gift with this thread. I'm now coming on here daily, with interest to see the latest developments in the conversation, whereas before I merely dipped in and out. He's really upped the forum's game, so to speak.

On this issue of personal preference, etc....my own view is that constantly adding the rider "this is only my personal opinion" (or some variant thereof) is simply redundant. Any critic, no matter how knowledgable, is obviously giving their views. Of course, some views are more informed than others. When it comes to art, "informed" does not mean possessed of fixed ontological certitudes - there's no escaping burdens of judgement - but rather means deep, sustained, thoughtful and reflexive immersion in the art form. But informed or not, continually reminding one's reader that an element of subjectivity is involved seems pointless.

Now maybe I was out of line in saying "there's something too forgiving about a listener who can't hear X or Y" in the specific case at issue (although I don't think so). I do, however, think there is such a thing as too forgiving a listener. Such a listener, in archetypical form, loves everything about a given artist's work. E.g., "I think Elvis's voice is invariably fabulous!!" Well, you know, EC certainly can sing and his voice is a serviceable instrument most of the time. But his voice is not especially nimble; compare him, say, with the effortless clambering up and down the treble clef of McCartney in his prime; or Dylan's incredibly mercurial and inventive playing with rhythm and melody - to say nothing of the great jazz/pop classics like Sinatra or Fitzgerald - well, there is no comparison, really. It's fine to say one loves EC's singing all the time, but this involves a surrendering of critical faculties.

Which we all do. We all have what could be called "guilty" pleasures - things we just enjoy, even though we recognize that this is more for personal or idiosyncratic reasons that are hard to defend in the wider world. And I agree 100% that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But someone who loves Spider-Man comics simply has ZERO case in trying to say they're "as good as" Shakespeare even though they may personally enjoy Spider-Man more. There's a difference between having a case and just having a raw personal feeling.
Poor Deportee wrote:
Jack of All Parades wrote:Now does begin some fun times- I still can remember passing by the door of J&R Music and seeing on a plaquard outside that a new exclusive box set was for sale upstairs for $7.99 for EC. Was not even aware at the time of its issuance. Went upstairs and purchased it and have never regretted it to this day. That EC/Nieve 5 city retrospective is pure joy for my ears. I, too, enjoy the Harle contributions. I have always been appreciative that he had this chance to go off and regroup as a musican and writer. I think he came back a better artist.
Hmmm. In the long run, perhaps, but I'm not entirely sure about this. My tendency is to see the period from (oh) 1995 to 2005 as a bit of a mess for our man. (Arguably, the slippage had begun earlier, with MLAR, but the plot really begins to fray to my mind around this time). He continues to do interesting, powerful work - especially on stage - but this meandering decade, punctuated by the dismal When I Was Cruel is hard for me to classify as the work of a "stronger artist" than the fellow who made King of America and Blood and Chocolate in one year. Indeed, tipping my hand about future entries here, it's not until National Ransom that EC feels fully "back" to me as a creative force at his peak. So "stronger artist" seems a tad wishful to me...but I'd be interested to hear the argument...
Concise, reasoned and amen PD and CWR. My aversion to 'fan' has always been to the 'boy' which can be attached. A fan for me is an individual who is discerning enough to realize that not all the work of a given artist or performer is of equal quality and then can elaborate as to why- the fanboy has no such critical facility and shouts out 'marvelous' at everything - imagine eating and not being able to distinguish sour from sweet, hot from cold, bitter from tangy, liquid from solid-god what a nightmare that would be. It is like when I talk with my young neice and she tells me she loves a given pop performer but when questioned as to why she is unable to back her liking up with any appreciation for what makes one song or performance better than another. She just blankly and unquestionably 'likes' it all.

PD- what I appreciate about the years to come is that seemingly EC gave up the pretense of trying to be a 'popular' artist and perhaps became comfortable in his own skin. Having built a fan base to that point sure must have helped. He seemingly had the freedom to do what interested him- not all of it working for me and you cite one major example where it does not. For me there are several others- The Delivery Man and SP&S for example. But he always seemed to have the gumption going forward to do what he wanted to do. That is why I see him as a stronger artist and performer. Coming up are big records to my musical ears and even some 'oddities' like the production with the mezzo soprano that still hold my ear and mind. There will be a live record which imaginatively reworks past material. There will be a live show at Radio City Music Hall that to this day I still count myself lucky to have attended. And as you say, this time of more than 10 years will ultimately culminate in the release of one of his alltime records, NR, with some of the most beautiful songs from his pen in his entire career. I believe there has to be something so totally liberating and fulfilling for an artist when he or she can say[and hopefully mean it] I am going to do from now on what gets under my skin and makes me want to write, play and sing, audience be damned.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I should be clear-- I wasn't suggesting that all personal opinions be saddled with the added "I personally believe" or some such variant-- that WOULD be redundant, and irritating beyond belief!

I was merely pointing out that there is a difference between statements that are clearly "this is my opinion" and statements that are slightly more aggressive in the sense of "there's something wrong with you if you can't hear it how I hear it."

If I comprehend and enjoy the melody of a "melodically incomprehensible" song, is it because I am too forgiving? Do low standards somehow aid in comprehension?

Or if I don't happen to feel that "This Is Hell" drags, I suppose it could be that I'm too forgiving. But I'm sure that there are EC songs that PD likes that I find too slow or too "something" but I wouldn't be confident enough to presume it's because of he's too forgiving in those instances.

I do agree that there are perhaps listeners whom I'd judge as too forgiving, who simply like everything that EC does. I can't say I judge them too harshly, however, if their enjoyment is genuine and not a pose, I'd say I almost envy them. I would always rather enjoy something than not, if I had any control over it.

There are Costello tracks that others enthuse about that leave me somewhat cold, but I tend to feel more envy that they're able to enjoy those tracks when I for some reason or another find them lacking. I'd love to be one of the listeners for whom ATUB is a perfect album instead of having the nagging feeling that it needs a couple more major songs to really make it to that next level. (In that instance, it's not an abstract feeling, I can point to the two tracks and specifically say why they would make the album stronger and would have helped it make more of an impact.)

As someone who got into Costello during the middle of the WB-era, I know I always kind of felt sorry for those longtime fans who thought EC was way past his peak by that point, because I felt like they were really missing out on some good stuff. But those folks genuinely didn't care for those albums I thought were great.

OPINIONS ARE WEIRD!

Much of this will come into play tomorrow, methinks, with an album that sparks a whole stew of conflicting reactions!