Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis plays Portland, Nov. 18 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going ?
History Repeats

Re: Elvis plays Portland, Nov. 18 2013

Post by History Repeats »

I am going to this one and folowing night in Orono, me ...

Happy to send along set list
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yes! Set lists would be great. Have one from last night?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

DOH, my bad. No show last night.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

History Repeats wrote:I am going to this one and folowing night in Orono, me ...

Happy to send along set list
looking forward to it, THANKS! hopefully before 11:30 (bed time! :lol: ) enjoy HR!!! 2 nights in a row will bring you 18-20 different. :wink:
History Repeats

On stage 8:11

Jack of all Parades
Man Called Uncle
Little Triggers
Tiny Steps
Shabby Doll
EC: "Its all about love and the flipside--deceit and betrayal"
Hope your happy now (ballad)
I Felt the Chill Before Winter Came (comment about co-writing w loretta lynn...‎)
Just About Glad
‎Everyday, I Write the Book ("usual Ron sexsmith story")
The Comedians
---Seated---
Walking my Baby Back Home (comments about the theatre)
Town Cryer
Accidents Will Happen
--------
Watching the Detectives
Thats Not the Part of Him You're Leaving
The Only Flame In Town
Slow Drag with Josephine
Jimmy Standing in the Rain>Brother Can You Spare a Dime (usual story about grandfather as a musician on the boat)
-----

Encore 1
- Just A Memory (keyboard)
- Almost Blue (keyboard)
- You Tripped At Every Step ("1st time playing it")
- Alison (electric guitar version)>Party Girl
-----------

Encore 2
- "Request" Blue Chair
- Indoor Fireworks
- I Want You‎
- Green Shirt (electric guitar version)
- Tripwire>PLU

Off stage 10:25

Another stand-out performance

For me, the most inspired set-list from a tour full of inspired choices...and my favorite show of thise i've attended
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

History Repeats wrote: inspired set-list
You ain't kidding!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.pressherald.com/life/Review- ... ncert.html

Review: Crowd feels the chills at Elvis Costello concert

By Steve Feeney

Elvis was in the building on Monday night in Portland. Pop music legend Elvis Costello played a solo concert before a large crowd at the State Theatre.

REVIEW
WHAT: Elvis Costello

WHERE: State Theatre, Portland

REVIEWED: Monday

The 59-year-old from England drew from a repertoire that spans more than three decades during the two-hour-plus performance. Subjects ranging from intimate romance to power politics changed from tune to tune, as did the acoustic and electric guitars he selected from among an array at center stage.

It took a couple of tunes to get the sound right. The lead tune,"Jack of all Parades," suffered from a sharp, trebly sound. But things soon evened out and "Shabby Doll" was an early triumph with the singer punctuating the song's tough lyrics with heavy reverb guitar chords.

"I Felt the Chill" was one of a number of somber folk-styled tunes that established a sensitive mood that was furthered by the poignant words of "The Comedians."

Along with those that usually adorn his head, Costello has worn many musical hats over his long career. His dabbling in jazz, classical, theater music and other genres has assured his position as a sophisticated, far-reaching talent.

Going rogue at one point, he sat for a version of the classic "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" after humorously noting the "checkered history" of the State Theatre. He also reflected on his grandfather's career as a musician playing for silent movies and sailing the seas with cruise ship bands.

"Every Day I Write the Book" prompted a sing-along and "Jimmy Standing in the Rain" had a nice close with Costello singing soulfully off-mike.

Things started to rock as Costello strapped on an electric hollow-body guitar and launched into a reggae rhythm that he looped using various foot pedals until the sound was just right (and loud). It all developed into a raucous take on his classic "Watching the Detectives." It was clear the artist enjoyed putting out the powerful sounds as he leaned toward the audience with a sort of "is that cool or what" look on his face.

Later, he took to his Telecaster for the inevitable "Alison" after repeating how the evening was all about "love, deceit, betrayal and misery." Funny but true, true but funny is the way to take this fellow's pronouncements. He's all the way into his art.

Encores placed Costello at an electric piano for a moving take of "Almost Blue."

Though he may have borrowed a stage name, there's no doubt that this Elvis is the real thing.

Steve Feeney is a freelance writer who lives in Portland.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Fabulous set list.
Would love to hear You Tripped... and Man Called Uncle.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Wow. Just wow. To me, I think this was the best setlist of the tour thus far. And there have been plenty of outstanding setlists. I am hoping that a good recording of this one shows up somewhere. This and the Burlington show. I'd really like that one as well.
TW12

Post by TW12 »

I knew it!! After my extreme disappointment with the Wilbur setlist, I said to myself that he'll do a lot of songs that I really want to hear in Portland and, sure enough, he did. Ugh.

I really wish Elvis would do the sort of album tours which so many artists do where you get an entire LP in its entirely, sometimes two in one night. You lose the element of surprise and the ability to hear unique and interesting transitions from one song to another, but at least the audience can bank on hearing particular songs.
Last edited by TW12 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
History Repeats

Hey TW12

I agree that while Boston was an excellent performance and the themes and songs related well against each other, this set list was much more adventurous and speaks to the diversity in songs during this tour. For me, best set list I've attended.

I hope for a recording as well, though crowd was kinda noisy at times (very exhuberant), so depending upon where and how recorded, it could have some background noise.

Has anyone noticed the microphones facing out to the crowd (on sides of the stage)? Perhaps capturing audience response/sound for a live release...? Maybe some wishful thinking...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MaineMan

Post by MaineMan »

Could someone tell me the different guitars EC plays? Saw so many last night, would be interested in the different models etc. I see "gibson" a lot but am not a guitar guy....
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm pleased to see such a great setlist. Looks like a great show.
TW12 wrote:I really wish Elvis would do the sort of album tours which so many artists do where you get an entire LP in its entirely, sometimes two in one night. You lose the element of surprise and the ability to hear unique and interesting transitions from one song to another, but at least the audience can bank on hearing particular songs.
Funnily enough, the last thing I want from an Elvis gig is to know what the next song will be.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I'm pleased to see such a great setlist. Looks like a great show.
TW12 wrote:I really wish Elvis would do the sort of album tours which so many artists do where you get an entire LP in its entirely, sometimes two in one night. You lose the element of surprise and the ability to hear unique and interesting transitions from one song to another, but at least the audience can bank on hearing particular songs.
Funnily enough, the last thing I want from an Elvis gig is to know what the next song will be.
i'm with you....i dont want to know whats next VG! & tho the LP concept has an allure; i do NOT want it from him/them!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Agree and the element of surprise at this superb soubnding gig must have been near orgasmic, but... which album would you love Elvis to play in its entirety most of all? I have to say Get Happy!!.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Is it just me, or are people recording/video-ing less these days? Seems like I used to be able to come here, click on a show, and see clips from many if not most of the songs.

I'd REALLY like to find an audio recording of Portland--did no one make one?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Arbogast wrote:Is it just me, or are people recording/video-ing less these days? Seems like I used to be able to come here, click on a show, and see clips from many if not most of the songs.

I'd REALLY like to find an audio recording of Portland--did no one make one?
simple solution...buy ME a FULL TOUR PACKAGE and every show WILL be recorded. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Ha!

One thing that might have helped on this tour--some NYC dates!! What's up with that?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Arbogast wrote:Ha!

One thing that might have helped on this tour--some NYC dates!! What's up with that?
glad you liked my wisecrack. :wink:
i find these tours usually avoid the big cities for EC.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

True...but on the other hand, Boston, Philly and DC all got a show. Not fair!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

BA wrote
simple solution...buy ME a FULL TOUR PACKAGE and every show WILL be recorded. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ditto for me for any upcoming UK and Ireland tours ! :roll:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:BA wrote
Ditto for me for any upcoming UK and Ireland tours ! :roll:

there we go...most shows taken care of right there! USA/UK POWER DUO!!! :wink:
jmm

Post by jmm »

BA, you know I've offered
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man