Elvis on the One Show, BBC TV 1 tomorrow, 12 Sept. 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis on the One Show, BBC TV 1 tomorrow, 12 Sept. 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Apparently the end of tonight's episode of this daily magazine show trailered an appearance by Elvis on it tomorrow.

When he was on the same show in April 2009 this was the hilarious way he was introduced.

However, the same appearance had him reacting to seeing this.

Goon Squad

Re: Elvis on the One Show, BBC TV 1 tomorrow, 12 Sept. 2018

Post by Goon Squad »

First we had Monday evening at Maida Vale, and now this! We’re getting spoilt ! :wink:
It’s great to have him back ! 8)
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Hate the programme but suddenly tonight it's a must-watch!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Thanks for letting us know! Here's the show:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... w-12092018

It's the usual crazy mix of weird 'human interest' stories and showbiz promotion. So odd to watch Elvis listening having to sit through a list of meningitis symptoms!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Screengrabs from the clips on Twitter -

Comments on Facebook -

They showed a clip of Elvis with Flip City in 1974.
Elvis was mostly amazed that the footage even existed - "What was that even recorded on?". His other comment was that it was proof he had always been a "fashion icon" - wearing denim dungarees in the clip.
I got the impression that The Beeb were keen to surprise Elvis with that clip but of course he had already seen it.

See also -
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11158
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 68633.html

Singer Elvis Costello ‘right as rain’ after cancer op

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Elvis Costello has said he is feeling “right as rain” and “extremely lucky” after his cancer operation.

Earlier this summer the musician cancelled the remaining dates on his European tour after being advised to rest following surgery for a “small but very aggressive cancerous malignancy”.

Appearing on The One Show in England today, the singer, 64, said the problem had been taken care of.

“I got extremely lucky and it goes to prove you have to keep up with your checks,” he said.

“They did discover that there was something, shall we say a lodger, that needed to be removed from the premises.”

The star, whose real name is Declan Patrick MacManus, said after having an operation he did not calculate enough recovery time.

“I got into my tour and I realised I didn’t have my usual energies and I thought I was going to cheat people, so I then had to explain,” he said.

“Unfortunately, there are some publications that chose to make it sound a lot more frightening than it really was.

“I made a very coherent statement to tell people, make sure you do as I do, keep up with the checks and then you might be lucky like I am to completely take care of something.

“I had a procedure, I feel right as rain.”

- Press Association
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Thanks for the link.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

I thought he seemed in good shape and good-humoured. A veteran of chat-shows, he had obviously worked out that this was a light entertainment spot rather than an in-depth interview, and he rolled with the punches (the banal questions, the 'Pump It Up was the first record I bought', the intended-to-be embarrassing footage of his youth [which was actually pretty cool]) with good grace.

Didn't interrupt too much, was quite self-deprecating, and genuinely funny. Alex Jones seemed impressed, unless that's just her 'look interested in what tonight's guest has to say' face, but I don't think it was, she seemed to genuinely warm to him. When he started talking about 'Stripping Paper' I thought for a moment we might get an exclusive snippet, but 'twas not to be.

He (or his management) have presumably decided that if he's in the UK anyway (to do the Master Tapes radio show) he might as well book in for a few TV spots to plug the LP, which makes sense. Apparently he's on the BBC again this morning (13th). But overall, a good spot which will have hopefully awakened a few casual buyers to the fact that he's still putting LPs out.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

He was on the BBC main morning news programme but, being on holiday, I stayed in bed and missed it. Mrs. Sulky caught the end but didn't record it but even so, when we wound back the Sky box, she's only caught the farewell section. The presenter did say Look now is out now mistakenly of course .
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Elvis's appearance on BBC Breakfast will appear on this page soon: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bjcdsg.

A brief but effective appearance, and of course they concentrated on the cancer op. He made an amusing swipe at a certain newspaper!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:Elvis's appearance on BBC Breakfast will appear on this page soon: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bjcdsg.

A brief but effective appearance, and of course they concentrated on the cancer op. He made an amusing swipe at a certain newspaper!
Yes, 'I won't name it, but you see it in the sky in the morning'!

It was an effective spot from Elvis' perspective, and made the point that he has a new LP out, so that's all good. The presenters/interviewers were hopeless and clearly had no idea who Elvis was other than the pre-broadcast notes they'd been provided with. What's a 'dip-in-and-out fan'? Presumably somebody who vaguely remembers hearing 'She' on the radio some time in the 1990s.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Removed !
Last edited by sulky lad on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I watched the One Show last night and was surprised at how good it was. Of course there was a dose of superficiality, but mercifully little and Elvis got more screen time than Mel next to him. Managed to speak about the new album quite a bit, good outline of Stripping Paper, decent clips and even discussion of A Face in the Crowd. So all in all, a pleasant surprise and much less embarassing than I thought it would be.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Agree, it was a very sympathetic slot for him, and he handled it really well. The fact that Mel's in a musical even gave him a seamless link to talk about 'A Face in the Crowd' without it feeling bolted-on.

I think the publicity build-up for the LP has been really well thought-out (so far, at least). The One Show audience probably includes a good swathe of 50-somethings who haven't listened to Elvis in thirty years but would listen to that interview and think 'OK, maybe I'll give this LP a try'. So, job done, hopefully.

I'm really looking forward to 'Stripping Paper' now. It's a cracking tune to start with, even in the lo-fi live version we have. Can't wait to hear the full-band arrangement.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sulky lad wrote:Hawksmoor wrote
Presumably somebody who vaguely remembers hearing 'She' on the radio some time in the 1990s.
Classic put down :D
I see Neil still has some influence at the Beeb, providing all the links thanks very much for helping an old IT dolt to find this clip .
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sulky lad wrote:I see Neil still has some influence at the Beeb, providing all the links thanks very much for helping an old IT dolt to find this clip .
No probs - and you are no dolt, Sulky!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Alex Jones, Elvis, Matt Baker and Mel Giedroyc:
Alex, Elvis, Matt and Mel
Alex, Elvis, Matt and Mel
The One Show.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 22157 times
The "Gap" is very evident.

MOOT