Elvis & The Imposters, DAR Constitution Hall , Washington DC, November 4th 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters, DAR Constitution Hall , Washington DC, November 4th 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
FAVEHOUR

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, DAR Constitution Hall , Washington DC, November 4th 2018

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I'm going!
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, DAR Constitution Hall , Washington DC, November 4th 2018

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From setlist.fm:

01. This Year's Girl
02. Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
03. Clubland
04. Don't Look Now
05. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
06. Green Shirt
07. Temptation
08. Brilliant Mistake
09. Why Won't Heaven Help Me?
10. Under Lime
11. Watching The Detectives
12. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
13. He's Given Me Things
14. Unwanted Number
15. High Fidelity
16. Alison
17. Everyday I Write The Book
Encore 1
18. Stripping Paper
19. Suspect My Tears
20. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
21. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
22. Pump It Up - including Subterranean Homesick Blues
Encore 2
23. A Face In The Crowd
24. Blood & Hot Sauce
25. American Gangster Time
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Now this time, Photographs Can Lie SHOULD be listed. Not sure when it was done, first half of show, and it did include the Look of Love snippet at the start.

Also, Under Lime was prefaced with the first verse of Jimmie Standing in the Rain, and a little spoken intro in between.

And A Face in the Crowd had a whole new introduction, a new stanza, not the same melody. More like what used to be called a "verse" in songs for musicals.

Dave
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Washington

01. This Year's Girl
02. Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
03. Clubland
04. Don't Look Now
05. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
06. Green Shirt
07. Photographs Can Lie - including The Look Of Love
08. Temptation
09. Brilliant Mistake
10. Why Won't Heaven Help Me?
11. Under Lime - including Jimmie Standing In The Rain
12. Watching The Detectives
13. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
14. He's Given Me Things
15. Unwanted Number
16. High Fidelity
17. Alison
18. Everyday I Write The Book
Encore 1
19. Stripping Paper
20. Suspect My Tears
21. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
22. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
23. Pump It Up - including Subterranean Homesick Blues
Encore 2
24. A Face In The Crowd
25. Blood & Hot Sauce
26. American Gangster Time
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
jardine

Post by jardine »

I was looking at the set list and saw plu at the end of the show and then checked out something that never occurred to me before:
"BMI royalties are performing right royalties, which are earned when a musical work is performed publicly. Public performance occurs when a song is sung or played, recorded or live, on radio and television, as well as through other media such as the Internet, live concerts and programmed music services." It is a nice nod to Nick L. to perform this song at all -- great closer. And there is this other wee nod to Nick as songwriter as well that I didn't know about.

It also means that for all those songs in the set list that he wrote, e.c. gets something as well. does anybody know what the royalty rate is per performance? pennies, i expect...just curious. never occurred to me that songwriters get paid for the performance and for having written the song...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... 8db6b6b29a

At DAR Constitution Hall, Elvis Costello acted as if he didn’t want to go home

Elvis Costello — 40 years past the angry young man pose that launched his career — showed up at DAR Constitution Hall on Sunday in his current persona: the grateful middle-aged dude.

Costello, 64, canceled a European tour over the summer citing poor health, and news reports blamed his hiatus on cancer. He was coy about exactly what ailed him, but admitted he didn’t have the energy to put on two-hour shows.

Judging by the length and vigor of his D.C. performance, he’s beaten whatever was beating him down. He seemed so happy to be onstage he gave no sign that playing before the half-empty hall bothered him in the least.

Costello’s got a new record out, “Look Now,” which he performed almost in its entirety. Highlights included the love ballad “Stripping Paper,” about a relationship that needs as much of a touch-up as the paint in the living room. He called the tune “the first song I ever wrote about interior decorating.”

The bounciest of the new bunch, “Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter,” featured the band’s background singers, a female duo decked out in retro outfits and flaunting dance moves all night long, taking over vocals. “Unwanted Number” swung like vintage Costello, but for the folks who came hoping for more old hits, it probably lived up to its title.

Still, the set list featured enough nuggets from back in the day to appease mature fans. Costello crooned the opening of “Alison” quietly with just the backup singers providing accompaniment, then the whole band kicked in and brought the evening’s first standing ovation. He delivered a quite rough version of “Brilliant Mistake,” a song from 1986 that mocked our American ways with British bite, singing all its clever phrases in a raspier-than-normal voice over fuzzy and heavily tremoloed guitar. The sound at Constitution Hall, in many sections muddy enough for a monster truck, didn’t help clear anything up. But this rendering proved that no amount of distortion could overwhelm such a great melody.

“Green Shirt” from 1979 had some of the harder core fans singing along while throwing their arms skyward in deliriousness. During “Pump It Up,” Costello threw in a quick ode to Bob Dylan, blurting “Thinkin’ ’bout the government!” from “Subterranean Homesick Blues.”

Costello took two sizable breaks to introduce the whole band, using the same intro for each member both times. It wasn’t clear whether he was being a hyper-gracious bandleader or had just forgotten about the first one. At other points, he showed he’s still got quick quips at the ready, telling fans that he’d played a show the night before in Atlantic City, then remarking that he “went from AC to DC.”

He kept his banter largely apolitical, even with the venue mere blocks from the White House. One exception: For an encore, he donned a red top hat and sang, “Blood and Hot Sauce,” a satirical campaign tune and the most Randy Newman-sounding song in the Costello catalogue.

Costello acted as if he didn’t want to go home. His extended and repeated encores ended up taking almost as long as the main set, his performance stronger at night’s end than when the show began. He wound up the evening with “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding,” with many fans air drumming the song’s signature snare riff and screaming along the earnest, pained lyrics Costello first sang decades ago — when he was, you know, an angry young man.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Early on at this show at the Daughters of the American Revolution Constitution Hall, Elvis described the venue as the "Tear Off Your Own Head, It's A Doll Revolution Constitution Hall."

Dave
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

They should pass legislation outlawing the use of the phrase "angry young man" in EC reviews.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

stricttime81 wrote:They should pass legislation outlawing the use of the phrase "angry young man" in EC reviews.
:lol:

I’m sure we could compile a list of lazy journalistic phrases...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I would but My Aim Is Still True :oops: :cry:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:
And A Face in the Crowd had a whole new introduction, a new stanza, not the same melody. More like what used to be called a "verse" in songs for musicals.

Dave
Well stated Dave. I have no real 'MUSICALS' knowledge. But, i would agree this new part is a somewhat different melody to the tune proper. Leaving me still not 100 percent certain that it IS INDEED THE SAME SONG. lyrical analysis may assist as we acquire live recordings. Last night was quite the show Dave...strong voice and great early live takes on all that is new. I am ready for another on Friday. Then, i shall await 2019 for more. Best to you, ba
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bronxapostle wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:

Dave
Well stated Dave. I have no real 'MUSICALS' knowledge. But, i would agree this new part is a somewhat different melody to the tune proper. Leaving me still not 100 percent certain that it IS INDEED THE SAME SONG. lyrical analysis may assist as we acquire live recordings. Last night was quite the show Dave...strong voice and great early live takes on all that is new. I am ready for another on Friday. Then, i shall await 2019 for more. Best to you, ba
Of course, it's all guesswork at this point, but the lyrics are in the same vein....about they'll take you to the jailhouse, or the whorehouse, or the White House....and not letting them push you around like they pushed me around....then it goes into the main song...these kind of introductory verses in standards usually don't have the same melody; the melody is basic and the verse is almost a recital. Listen to EC's rendition of But Not For Me on the Gershwin tribute a while back for a good example. He also used the Pennies From Heaven verse a few years back as a preface to A Voice in the Dark.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ah, even better illustrated now...thanks Dave. I guess i do have that much acquaintance to know of what you speak here: the recital effect prefacing the tune in a not nearly as melodious way. Cool...comparing it lyrically makes it that much more likely. The whorehouse line implies it is NOT a cover from a standard, but all EC i would now bet with your reminding me of that lyric. Thanks again...
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Glad to chime in! :)