Elvis & The Imposters, Paramount Theatre , Asbury Park , NJ , November 6th 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Paramount Theatre , Asbury Park , NJ , November 6th 2018

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bronxapostle wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:
stricttime81 wrote:Sounded like a new intro... Not sure.

I defer to BA, the MASTER song lister!

I mentioned this in the DC topic. It's a new intro...

Dave
great to hear Dave. yes, i had adhered to my setlist perusal ban before my first show of the tour last night. it sounded as if it was either:

a) quite a new long verse added...or, perhaps
b) a cover song added up front.

opinion please Dave....how different do you find UNWANTED NUMBER Imposters 2018 compared to 1996 with Steve. i've got to dig out my old recording from Supper Club.
Do you mean the lyrics, ba?
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Paramount Theatre , Asbury Park , NJ , November 6th 2018

Post by bronxapostle »

Yes, lyrically as well as musically. I like to think myself to be a good judge of whether it is the same version only played solo OR if it is markedly unlike first take we know...just your opinion please.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Eugene wrote:And yes, that was my Lisa being admonished by EC..."I'm speaking" & "there's the door" after she requested "I Want You". :D :roll:
Elvis channeling his "angry young man" persona there. Wasn't your Lisa responsible for my favorite EC audience request of all time at Carnegie Hall night 2?

[very quiet moment between songs]
"Elvis?"
[complete silence and long pause]
".....Yes?"
[audience laughter]
"Please play So Like Candy"

(I have to dig that out of my video archives)

If so, she has a lifetime pass to make requests as far as I'm concerned.
docinwestchester

I like the latest arrangement of Alison. The previous version with just EC, Briana and Kitten was a bit too screechy for me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Funny we would talk about DIFFERENT versions regarding Alison following my previous post at this here thread. In the approximate one hundred times live for me, i do not think i EVER credited it as a different take. I think the closest was at 2007 Letterman webcast when he did play it to NO AUDIENCE, yet they played it on video at the show. That evening indeed came closest...but to me, ALISON IS ALWAYS just ALISON. And that is NOT A BAD THING. :)
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

docinwestchester wrote:I like the latest arrangement of Alison. The previous version with just EC, Briana and Kitten was a bit too screechy for me.
Totally agree.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

docinwestchester wrote:
Eugene wrote:And yes, that was my Lisa being admonished by EC..."I'm speaking" & "there's the door" after she requested "I Want You". :D :roll:
Elvis channeling his "angry young man" persona there. Wasn't your Lisa responsible for my favorite EC audience request of all time at Carnegie Hall night 2?

[very quiet moment between songs]
"Elvis?"
[complete silence and long pause]
".....Yes?"
[audience laughter]
"Please play So Like Candy"

(I have to dig that out of my video archives)

If so, she has a lifetime pass to make requests as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, that's her. She also got "I Want You" at Carnegie Hall night 1.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.jambase.com/article/elvis-c ... sbury-park

Elvis Costello Dusts Off Bruce Springsteen Cover In Asbury Park

Iconic rocker Elvis Costello continued a tour with The Imposters on Tuesday night in support of the recently released studio album Look Now. Last night’s concert took place at the Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park, where Costello honored the Jersey Shore city’s most famous son – Bruce Springsteen.

The tribute came towards the back end of Elvis Costello And The Imposters’ 18-song main set. Costello performed a few verses and the chorus of The Boss’ “Brilliant Disguise” with little backing. Elvis originally covered the song for his 1995 album Kojak Variety, though his version wasn’t released until a 2004 reissue of the LP. Costello went on to perform “Brilliant Disguise” backed by The Roots during a 2012 appearance on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. Last night’s rendition served as an extended intro to “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” and was the first time Elvis covered the song in concert since 2009 as per Setlist.FM. Watch fan-shot video of Elvis Costello’s tribute to Bruce Springsteen captured by Larry Rulz Too: https://youtu.be/PK65Fnkejms
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

docinwestchester wrote:I like the latest arrangement of Alison. The previous version with just EC, Briana and Kitten was a bit too screechy for me.

It's a big improvement, makes it a highlight of the set again.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.nj.com/expo/life-and-cultur ... nt-pu.html

Elvis Costello just couldn't pull himself away from the N.J. stage: review

Elvis Costello's latest tour, in support of an acclaimed new LP released last month by the songwriting icon, requires two modes of consumption from its audience.
The first is more familiar, albeit infrequent in this particular roadshow: the get-up-and-clap exuberance Costello has conjured from his fans since the late '70s and again harnessed Tuesday night in Asbury Park -- his first time playing the city since 2002. The Paramount Theatre crowd was on its feet and bopping to foregone post-punk staples "This Year's Girl" (which opened the set), "(The Angels Want To Wear My) Red Shoes," and "High Fidelity," among a few others.

But this performance was ultimately defined by a second, more dominant tone, one of higher concept and deeper melancholy. Despite his possession of enough classic, Attractions-era material to fill a week's-worth of setlists, Costello gave his new record, called "Look Now," its due place in the Jersey Shore spotlight, running through 10 of the 12 new tracks that ranged from slow-burning chamber pop to moodier soul. Some were written with longtime collaborator Burt Bacharach, one was written with Carole King, and nearly all were downtempo and suggested the audience of about 1,500 sit a spell and absorb the tunes' collective story, both of female protagonists and Costello's own path to 2018, surviving a bout with cancer earlier this year, and weaving together an album that echoes the technical and melodic prowess of his 1982 masterstroke, "Imperial Bedroom."

Costello, 64, performed several of these tunes without his guitar, meandering around the weathered stage in a black button-down and jacket and sunglasses in a crooner-like state. These songs exposed a voice that has mostly held up well over the decades, still maintaining its patently nasal, petulant edge, but now with a more measured vibrato and rasp. If you do check out the new album, go for the layered King collab "Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter" and the terrific album opener "Under Lime," which feels most like vintage Costello.

The audience was patient with the fresh material and all the starts and stops it created between buoyant oldies and the more methodical new tunes. They appropriately whooped when something they actually recognized was brought to the fold and delivered by Costello, his three-piece Imposters -- keyboardist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas, of the original Attractions, and bassist Davey Faragher -- plus two towering female background singers.

An extended mid-set jam of "Watching The Detectives," with Costello brightly shredding a spacey solo under green spotlight, was a clear highlight and there was an added electricity when Costello began an acoustic cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Brilliant Disguise," with many surely wondering if The Boss -- a longtime stage-mate of Costello -- might make an appearance (he was off from Broadway Tuesday night).

Bruce never came out, but Costello seemed unable to tear himself away from the Asbury stage, returning for three encores and stretching the performance to a gaudy two and a half hours by the time he hit the last chord on "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding." The final of these three curtain calls was the best, with Costello plinking a Steinway and Nieve on accompanying keys for "A Face In The Crowd" and "Blood And Hot Sauce," two tracks written for a musical that never made it to stage. Costello truly wailed on these, saving his best vocal performance for last, and earned a standing ovation from the crowd.

While Costello is perhaps most commonly thought of as the godfather of sardonic rockers -- anyone considered a first-wave punk groundbreaker probably deserves such a label -- his Tuesday performance was laden with sincerity and conviction: it's obvious he deeply believes in this new music. And if one of the most consistently excellent songwriters of the last 40 years is excited about something, you should be, too.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bronxapostle wrote:Yes, lyrically as well as musically. I like to think myself to be a good judge of whether it is the same version only played solo OR if it is markedly unlike first take we know...just your opinion please.
Yeah, this was debated in July under the Look Now: New Album Announced Thread, but the lyrics have been made a little less harrowing

1996 had the line about how he came into my room and helped me to undress
and then, that she really didn't hear me cry when he wouldn't leave (which is a lot more ominous than whenever he would leave, which might only connote sadness or missing him)

Dave
docinwestchester

That 2 minute instrumental ending of Photographs Can Lie is a thing of beauty. Kitten and Briana's vocal work is sublime.