Elvis and The Imposters play Ithaca, NY October 26, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and The Imposters play Ithaca, NY October 26, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters play the State Theatre of Ithaca, NY on Saturday October 26, 2019. Elvis appeared solo at the same venue in November 2013.

The venue website has this to say about the show:

" Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Sat · October 26, 2019
Doors: 7:00 pm / Show: 8:00 pm
$59.50 - $89.50

ON SALE
FRI · JUNE 28, 2019
10:00 AM EDT

This event is all ages

Elvis Costello's wide-ranging recording career began in 1977 with the release of My Aim Is True in a catalogue that include such diverse highlights as This Year's Model, Get Happy, Imperial Bedroom, King Of America, Blood & Chocolate, The Juliet Letters with the Brodsky Quartet, The River In Reverse with Allen Toussaint and Wise Up Ghost with The Roots.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters’ last tour in late 2018 found the combo reaching new live performance peaks. The band "came out swinging” (Star Tribune) in Minneapolis, were “unstoppable” in Anaheim (OC Register) and played an “epic and euphoric” (Variety) show in LA that even at nearly three hours “[left] ‘em wanting more.” The Imposters are: Steve Nieve (keyboards), Davey Faragher (bass) and Pete Thomas (drums) with Aisha "Kitten" Kuroi and Briana Lee on vocals.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters’ widely renowned Look Now was released by Concord Records in 2018 and of which Variety said, "It's so funny to be seeing him, after all this time, making a great cake of an album that doesn't really sound that much like any of the 30 before it." The catalogue also includes the E.P., Purse, containing songwriting collaborations with Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney and musical settings of lyrics by Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan."

Now who knew that Kitten Kuroi was not her real name? Imagine an artist performing under a pseduonym.

Who's going?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Ithaca, NY October 26, 2019

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone ? :D
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I am

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I am

Dave
Wow, that's a road trip, huh??? Enjoy....
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

bronxapostle wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:I am

Dave
Wow, that's a road trip, huh??? Enjoy....
Given the obscurities we've seen so far it'll be worth it!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

Can someone please take a photo of the available merch and post here? Thanks!
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

strict time
clubland
green shirt
human hands
no hiding place!!
accidents will happen piano start
watch your step
why can’t a man stand alone
unwanted number
motel matches
king horse
detectives
face in the crowd
almost blue
jimmy standing in the rain/brother can you spare a dime
under lime
pump it up
alison/tracks of my tears/tears of a clown/tear stained makeup
PLU
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

JerseyPride78 wrote:Can someone please take a photo of the available merch and post here? Thanks!
From a friend (not sure if he wants to be anonymous):
merch2.jpg
merch2.jpg (231.95 KiB) Viewed 16745 times
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Glad you went m2m, and thanks for the set....I should have known you would do the upstate run!!! Best wishes, ba
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
JerseyPride78 wrote:Can someone please take a photo of the available merch and post here? Thanks!
From a friend (not sure if he wants to be anonymous):
merch2.jpg
CHEERS!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.withradio.org/post/concert- ... tre-ithaca

Concert Review: Elvis Costello & the Imposters at State Theatre of Ithaca

Almost six years after selling out the State Theatre with a solo show, Elvis Costello returned to Ithaca on Oct. 26 for another sold-out show – this time with his band, the Imposters.

Comprising two former Attractions – drummer Pete Thomas and keyboardist Steve Nieve – bassist Davey Faragher (formerly with Cracker and John Hiatt, and with Costello since 2001), and singers Aisha "Kitten" Kuroi and Briana Lee, the Imposters have the uncanny ability to follow Costello on his many musical journeys without missing a beat. And that means covering everything from country, jazz and folk to dub, new wave and rock.

Costello is dubbing his current jaunt the “Just Trust” tour, on which he asks his fans to “just trust” his judgment in putting together the setlist. (He joked it was not the “Just ‘Trust’” tour, at which he would only play his 1981 album of that name, and then leave.)

Greeting the “warlocks and wizards” in the crowd – the concert took place during Ithaca’s Wizarding Weekend festival – Costello actually did lead off with two songs from “Trust” – “Strict Time” and “Clubland” – followed by “Green Shirt” from 1979’s “This Year’s Model” and “Human Hands” from 1982’s “Imperial Bedroom.”

Other highlights of the 19-song set included “Accidents Will Happen,” a spooky “Watching the Detectives,” a plaintive “Almost Blue” and “Motel Matches,” from 1984’s “Get Happy!!” Two songs from the band’s latest album, 2018’s “Look Now,” were also standouts, especially “Why Won’t Heaven Help Me?” and the sonically complex “Under Lime,” which led right into the encore of “Pump It Up,” “Allison” (which ended with bits of Smokey Robinson’s “Tracks of My Tears” and “Tears of A Clown”) and a fiery “(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.”

Though he was a bit inscrutable with his sunglasses and white hat, Costello really connected with the crowd, especially via a bunch of funny stories – some to introduce songs, others just to amuse. He also was in fine voice throughout the night, even unleashing a falsetto during his Motown-inspired detour during “Allison.”

From a personal standpoint, this was a bucket-list concert for me. I’ve seen Costello three times – in 1984, 2007 and 2013 – but they were all solo shows, so I’ve been dying to see him with a band for decades. I’ve long considered Thomas one of rock ‘n’ roll’s best drummers, so it was a thrill to finally see him play in person – not only bashing away on “Peace, Love and Understanding” but watching Costello intently as he sat at the piano to play the brooding “A Face in the Crowd.”

Nieve’s work on a variety of keyboards also was stellar, especially on his distinctive organ riffs from the early Attractions albums. Faragher also was fun to watch during the show – he constantly bobs his head while uncorking his propulsive bass lines and spot-on harmonies. And Kuroi and Lee also provided powerful vocal (and visual) punch with their energetic contributions.

Still, it all comes back to Costello – who at 65 seems to be only getting better with age. It’s inspiring that he’s still enthusiastically playing some of his earliest songs while also continuing to create vital new ones. Indeed, those of us who did indeed “just trust” that Costello and company would put on a great show found that very trust rewarded on this memorable night.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.