Look Now wins Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album!

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Look Now wins Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album!

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... ammys-2020

Joni 75,' Barbra Streisand & More Front-Runners for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album at 2020 Grammys

"Joni 75" would be the second salute to Mitchell to win big at the Grammys. Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters" won the 2007 awards for album of the year & best contemporary jazz album.

The Grammys' expansion of their definition of traditional pop resulted in a spike in the number of entries in its best traditional pop vocal album category, from 55 last year to 81 this year. More importantly, they've made the category, which Tony Bennett has all but owned over the years (16 nominations, 13 wins), more competitive.

This category was long reserved for albums made up of songs from the Great American Songbook as well as cabaret and musical theater-style songs. But as of this year, the Recording Academy expanded the category to also include (quoting from the Academy's category description guide) "contemporary pop songs performed in traditional pop style—the term 'traditional' being a reference, equally, to the style of the composition, vocal styling and the instrumental arrangement, without regard to the age of the material."

The expansion brought in such entries as the all-star Joni 75: A Joni Mitchell Birthday Celebration (Live), Barbra Streisand's Walls, Elvis Costello & the Imposters' Look Now and Bryan Ferry and his Orchestra's Bitter-Sweet.

Mitchell won the 2000 award in this category with Both Sides Now. Ferry was nominated that same year for As Time Goes By. But those albums consisted primarily of covers of vintage traditional pop material. These albums consist of songs by Mitchell and Ferry. Streisand's album consists primarily of new material, with just a few older songs. Costello's album consists of new material, including three songs he co-wrote with Burt Bacharach and one he co-wrote with Carole King.

Barring the rule change, all of these albums would have competed for best pop vocal album, where their chances of landing a nomination would have been much slimmer.

Los Lobos, James Taylor, Norah Jones and Kris Kristofferson and Brandi Carlile, among others, are featured on Joni 75. This would be the second Various Artists album to win in the traditional pop category. The first, Tony Bennett Celebrates 90, which won two years ago, was also a birthday-themed salute.

Joni 75 would be the second salute to Mitchell to win big at the Grammys. Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters won the 2007 awards for album of the year and best contemporary jazz album. Mitchell received a lifetime achievement award from the Academy in 2002.

Streisand, who received a lifetime achievement award from the Academy in 1995, has yet to win in the traditional pop category, despite 11 nominations in the category (second only to Bennett). In fact, Streisand hasn't won a competitive Grammy in any category in nearly 33 years. Yes, Streisand is a legend and hardly needs another award. But legends have feelings too.

The versatile and deeply talented Costello has been nominated for best rock album (twice), best alternative music album (twice), best pop vocal album, best contemporary folk album and even best spoken word album.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Re: Look Now nominated for Grammy?

Post by docinwestchester »

The nominations will be announced November 20, according to this article:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... ammys-2020
EcfanNY

Post by EcfanNY »

Its always nice to see EC get ANY recognition. Anyone with a brain, a heart, and two ears knows he doesn't get nearly-enough as he deserves. The Billboard charts and Grammys have been a stinking cesspool for decades. That being said, I hope the guy wins. The rest can fall into the wide, deep, vat of mediocrity and believe they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It has indeed received a nomination.

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album:

Sì — Andrea Bocelli
Love (Deluxe Edition) — Michael Bublé
Look Now — Elvis Costello & The Imposters
A Legendary Christmas — John Legend
Walls — Barbra Streisand

Not the competition I would have expected, but good luck, EC!
And No Coffee Table

Re: Look Now nominated for Grammy!

Fun fact: Briana Lee sings on both Look Now and the John Legend album.
And No Coffee Table

Kitten Kuroi:
Sometimes, you wake up in a benadryl haze while on tour in a cold and strange Ann Arbor Michigan hotel only to find out that Elvis Costello & The Imposters have been nominated for a 2019 Grammy in the Best Traditional Pop Vocal album for the record, "Look Now"!!! ------------------------------------------------------------------------ As you may or may not know, YA GIRL IS SINGING ON THIS ALBUM! I'm credited and my picture is in the damn album jacket!! My mind is blown and this is a real dream. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Thanks so much to my beloved @elviscostello and the Imposters for having me on board this journey. And to @brianadlee for being my beautiful, supportive, loving and encouraging sister in song for this record and the love shows. And to @sebastiankrys for being such an amazing human and engineer. I love working with him! Thanks to all the fans that bought and enjoyed the record and comes out to our shows. Those who have accepted Briana and I into the EC & The Imposters family. Thank you to all my supportive friends and family who never stop lifting me up in loving light and prayer and support me through all of my insane life choices. ❤️ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I have no idea what happens next, but I'm so happy with what is present right this second. What a way to wake up!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ #elviscostello #elviscostelloandtheimposters #GRAMMYs #grammynominated
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Kitten you and Briana deserve all the accolades in the world for what you’ve brought to our beloved EC and The Imposters !
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... nomination

Elvis Costello Talks About Grammy Rule Change That Led to His Nomination in the Traditional Pop Category

Costello says he didn't know his album was entered in the traditional pop category. "I didn't know anything about it until we got the nomination. I didn't even know we were eligible."

The Grammys' decision this year to expand their definition of traditional pop had a huge impact on that category. For one thing, the number of entries for best traditional pop vocal album jumped significantly, from 55 last year to 81 this year. Also, the change allowed two artists -- Elvis Costello and John Legend -- to receive their first nominations in the category.

The traditional pop category was introduced in 1991 largely as a way of honoring the Great American Songbook, which is usually taken to mean songs that were written prior to the advent of rock 'n' roll in the 1950s. Only one of this year's nominees in the category, Michael Bublé's Love (Deluxe Edition), primarily consists of such songs.

Here's how the Recording Academy defines the category in its current category description guide: "This category is for performances of a type and style of song that cannot properly be intermingled with present forms of pop music. This includes older forms of traditional pop such as the Great American Songbook, created by the Broadway, Hollywood and Tin Pan Alley songwriters of the period between the '20s and the end of World War II, as well as cabaret/musical theater style songs and previous forms of contemporary pop."

The definition continues by spelling out the change they instituted this year: "This would also include contemporary pop songs performed in traditional pop style -- the term 'traditional' being a reference, equally, to the style of the composition, vocal styling and the instrumental arrangement, without regard to the age of the material."

Bottom line: New songs now qualify. With that in mind, let's look at this year's nominees:

Andrea Bocelli, Sì. The album consists entirely of new songs. It was Bocelli's first album to reach No. 1 on the Billboard 200.

Michael Bublé, Love (Deluxe Edition). The album is dominated by standards, but also includes three new songs, including two that Buble co-wrote.

Elvis Costello & the Imposters, Look Now. Costello wrote or co-wrote the entire album. The album includes three songs he co-wrote within the past 10 years with Burt Bacharach, and one song he co-wrote in the '90s with Carole King.

John Legend, A Legendary Christmas. The album includes songs that meet the old definition of traditional pop ("Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "The Christmas Song"), as well as covers of well-known R&B songs, the Peanuts classic "Christmas Time Is Here" and six new songs that Legend co-wrote.

Barbra Streisand, Walls. The album includes a new version of "Happy Days Are Here Again," which Streisand famously remade on her 1963 debut album, as well as contemporary standards such as John Lennon's 1971 classic "Imagine." It also includes seven new songs, including three that Streisand co-wrote.

While Costello and Legend are first-time nominees in the traditional pop category, the other finalists are category veterans. This is Streisand's 12th nomination in the category (a total topped only by Tony Bennett, with 16 noms in the category); Bublé's ninth; and Bocelli's second.

Three of this year's nominees in the category have been under-recognized by Grammy voters, at least in recent years. Bocelli has never won a Grammy, and has notched just five nominations. Costello has won just one Grammy, for a 1998 collaboration with Bacharach. Streisand hasn't won a Grammy in competition in 33 years, since The Broadway Album took the 1986 award for best pop vocal performance, female. (The other two nominees have been amply rewarded. Legend has won 10 Grammys since 2005; Bublé has won four since 2007.)

The traditional pop category, with 89 entries this year, is much less competitive than the best pop vocal album category, which had 215 entries this year. The nominees in that category are Beyoncé, Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift.

Traditional pop is a small world. Bublé, Bocelli and Legend all sang duets with Streisand on her 2014 album, Partners. Diana Krall, Costello's wife, produced and played piano on Streisand's 2009 album, Love Is the Answer. Both of those albums were nominated in this category. In addition, Krall was nominated in this category last year for Love Is Here to Stay, a collab with Bennett.

The award in this category goes to the artist, producer and engineer/mixer. David Foster has two chances to win. He produced Bublé's album and was among the producers on Streisand's album.

Costello has received two noms for best rock album, two for best alternative music album, one for best pop vocal album, one for best contemporary folk album and even one for best spoken word album. So how does he feel about now being nominated in the traditional pop category?

"I think all of those definitions are a little bit silly," he says. "Sometimes you get shoved into unlikely places."

That said, he's having fun with it. "I'm nominated with Barbra Streisand and, I understand, the sexiest man in the world [People's reigning Sexiest Man Alive John Legend] and Michael Bublé and Andrea Bocelli. When I saw that list, I said, 'Well now I'm really in show business, aren't I?'

"Of course, it's great fun to be in that kind of contest. It makes me feel like I'm Neil Diamond in 1973 or something and I'm in a race with John Denver and Leo Sayer. I write songs and I'm quite happy to be in that company…All of the other artists in this category are way more high-profile in terms of sales than I am."

Costello says he didn't know his album was entered in the traditional pop category. "I didn't know anything about it until we got the nomination. I didn't even know we were eligible." The album was released Oct. 12, 2018, just 12 days into the current eligibility year.

"My phone started going around 6 a.m. [on Nov. 20, the day the nominations were announced]. By the time I got myself a cup of coffee, I had all these people saying 'Hey congratulations.' For what? I didn't even know the nominations were coming out, much less that I could be in them.

"These labels are often very silly. [Even so,] You have to make some distinction between the contemporary pop releases of new artists—there are some really good new artists that have put records out—and [our albums]. It would make a very impossible comparison to take the merits of some of those records and compare them to the merits of John Legend's record or our record or Barbra or Michael or Andrea. Our records are already pretty different from one another. If you added Billie Eilish into that race, it would be impossible. That should be in a category of the things that have dominated the charts. That's what that's about."

This is Costello's 15th Grammy nomination. That's not a large number considering he's been recording for 42 years. "You just have to keep working, and every once in a while you get into these horseraces."

Costello skipped the Grammys when he was nominated for best new artist of 1978, even though he was in Los Angeles, where they were held. "I elected to go and play a country & western show at the Palomino in North Hollywood. Those sorts of things [awards shows] weren't very real to me."

He wound up losing to two-hit wonders A Taste of Honey, a loss that is invariably cited on lists of greatest Grammy blunders.

While Costello's 1-13 win-loss ratio at the Grammys is lackluster, he will forever be grateful to the Grammys for one thing. "The best thing I ever got from the Grammys was not an award, but was the invitation [in 2002] to co-present an award with [Diana Krall, who would become] my wife. That's how we really met and got to spend some time together. We had met very briefly on one occasion before that, but this was really our first date, albeit a blind date, and it was on global television presenting an award with Gwen Stefani."

Costello hasn't decided if he's going to attend the Grammys on Jan. 26. "I don't know. You've got to have a frock to wear and some nice shoes. Nobody asks you about the music when you turn up at those things.

"The whole thing is just like a crazy dream to me. If I get to come along, I'll try to have fun. You always see people. I know people across so many styles of music."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/01/26/c ... r-on-stage

Clive Davis’s Annual Star Studded Pre Grammy Dinner Tops Itself with Jay Z, Beyonce, Nancy Pelosi in Audience, Beck, Cyndi Lauper, Chance the Rapper on Stage

The Grammys are in disarray, the Recording Academy is dealing with scandal, but Clive Davis’s famous annual all star pre-Grammy gala went on last night as if there were no problems in the world. Nancy Pelosi, back from a short trip abroad, got a standing ovation and cheers. I would say she was a rock star last night, among rock stars. She received a huge standing ovation.

Both Sean Puffy Combs and Janet Jackson were honored, hundreds of celebrities showed up in the audience, and the on stage entertainment was, as Clive would say, “off the hook.”

The performers included Beck, John Legend, Faith Evans with Puffy’s All-stars, Cyndi Lauper and Brandi Carlisle, Santana with Wyclef Jean and Miguel and Ryan Tedder, Chance the Rapper, plus new sensational stars Cynthia Erivo (Oscar nominee) and Adrienne Warren, soon to be Tony nominee for “Tina, the Musical” on Broadway.

In the audience: everyone from Jay Z and Beyonce to Jamie Foxx, Joni Mitchell, Roberta Flack, Twitter founder Jack Dorsey, Dionne Warwick, Valerie Simpson, Smokey Robinson, Usher, Earth Wind and Fire, actor Michael Douglas, Keith Urban (Nicole Simpson home with cold), Swizz Beatz, Nikki Haskell, famed record producer Richard Perry, Channing Tatum and Jessie J, Lorna Luft, Elvis Costello, and so many more.

The Beverly Hilton ballroom was packed, as it is every year at this event, with so many recognizable faces from disciplines: music, movies, sports, government. The build up of excitement begins at the front entrances, which are divided between regular people, regular celebrities, industry people, and the red carpet. It’s hard to know where to look first. And kind of outstanding because I saw Barbra Streisand’s manager of 50 years, Marty Erlichman; Peter Asher,famed pop star, manager and record producer of James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt; Janet Jackson’s record producer Jimmy Jam Harris, wife Lisa and their daughter, songwriters Diane Warren and Paul Williams; talk show host Tamron Hall, NY news personality Rosanna Scotto.

And then of course, there’s Kathie Lee Gifford, radiant, glowing, telling me all about living in Nashville and planning both of her kids’ weddings this year. Producer Narada Michael Walden reminisced about Aretha, Whitney, and Mariah. Produce Jay Landers told me about two hush hush albums he’s made, which I’m sworn to secrecy on– duets albums by great stars, but no, not Barbra Streisand.

Two legendary ladies nearly collided in the hotel lobby: Roberta Flack and Joni Mitchell. Then Joni left, Usher arrived, and took more pictures with Roberta, who will be honored tomorrow with a Lifetime Achievement Award.

And I got to meet Lana del Rey, and tell her how much I loved “Norman F—ing Rockwell.” She is just lovely, and now I’m sorry I never spoke to her before.

And then there was Clive, almost 88, resplendent in a black and white tuxedo jacket made for him by Giorgio Armani, being introduced by Berry Gordy (90) and welcoming from the stage Clarence Avant, the “black Godfather,” himself 88. He called out Quincy Jones, almost 86, who made it through the whole night. Clive still has unbridled enthusiasm about people in the same room, meeting, schmoozing, reuniting, reigniting this community over which he unofficially reigns. It’s an extraordinary snapshot of the culture, devoid of color or gender or class. Maybe anthropologists will study these parties years from now. Nothing else like them exists.

It was a whirlwind of a night, keep refreshing for more later today…
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Rather than start a separate thread, I'll add this here. Amongst the other 2020 Grammy nominees are Larkin Poe for their album Venom & Faith in the Category - Best Contemporary Blues Album. As part of the general run-up to tonight's Awards ceremony, Rebecca and Megan visited the Grammy museum and did an interview and performance. The write up is here: 11 things we learned about Larkin Poe at the Grammy museum.

The text of the article by Crystal Larsen is here for posterity:

11 Things We Learned About Larkin Poe At The GRAMMY Museum

The American roots/rock sister duo dish on meeting Elvis Costello, sibling harmonies, sibling rivalries and who they’re taking to the 2020 GRAMMYs

Less than one week before they attend the 62nd Annual GRAMMY Awards as first-time nominees, and less than three weeks before they play their first show of 2020—at the Mahindra Blues Festival in Mumbai—American roots/rock sister duo Larkin Poe stopped by the GRAMMY Museum for an intimate conversation and performance.

After an introduction from host Scott Goldman, during which he noted that their currently nominated Best Contemporary Blues Album, Venom & Faith, is the fifth release for the duo—an impressive feat for the young two artists—Rebecca and Megan Lovell took the stage before a sold-out crowd donning T-shirts showing their respect for the great B.B. King and Ray Wylie Hubbard.

During the hour-long conversation, the duo—hailing from Nashville, Tenn., by way of Calhoun, Ga.—took the audience on a journey from their childhood musical beginnings, which includes a story about meeting Elvis Costello, to recording their latest album, receiving a GRAMMY nomination and working together as sisters.

"I think we’ve unraveled over the years that our relationship as sisters is the everything of our band," says Rebecca Lovell. "We have been a lot of things to each other for many years. … Best friends into musical partners into bandmates into business owners into producers into still all the while being sisters and needing to have respect and understanding between the two of us."

Following the conversation, Rebecca and Megan Lovell performed a fiery set of songs for the audience, with only a kick drum and electric guitar (played by Rebecca Lovell) and a lap steel guitar played by Megan Lovell. Among the songs performed were "Bleach Blonde Bottle Blues" from Venom & Faith and a cover of the rock and roll classic "Black Betty."

If you’re still wondering who this dynamic GRAMMY-nominated duo is, keep reading for 11 things we learned about Larkin Poe during their GRAMMY Museum program.

"Good And Gone" is Rebecca Lovell’s favorite song off Venom & Faith

The idea for the introspective stripped-down ballad "Good And Gone" was inspired by an idea started by Megan Lovell.

"I love to sing with Rebecca, but I really consider my lap steel more of my voice than my actual voice," she said. "We really wanted to have a song where I was singing along with her on a lap steel so it’s just her vocal and then my lap steel. So, I wrote this riff and then she sang along on top of it and that’s where the whole idea came from.

"I am, I think, a very heavy-handed frontperson in that I kind of write the majority of the songs and can be fairly hard-headed when it comes to the material that we perform," said Rebecca Lovell, "but Megan brought that song completely finished and it’s my favorite song on the record."

Their Tip o’ The Hat video series largely inspired Venom & Faith

Their viral YouTube video series Tip o’ The Hat—wherein they perform covers of songs that have inspired them—is largely what inspired the stripped-down approach they took on Venom & Faith.

"We love just sitting in the bedroom, just the two of us playing," said Megan. "So, we wanted to bring some of that energy to the record as well."

“As artists, you are what you consume,” continued Rebecca later on in the conversation. "The more that you listen, the more you learn. When you actually go out and try to embody someone else’s work you learn so much in doing that. So, I think this Tip o’ the Hat started out really selfish for us because I think we realized that, as sisters, together we were stagnating musically. She would go home and practice her lap steel or I would go home and practice guitar riffs, but learning something together and trying to make it sound like Larkin Poe, we learned so much by doing that with Tip o’ the Hat again and again. That had a direct impact on the way that we approached making our record."

Ozzy Osbourne is Rebecca Lovell’s favorite singer

Growing up, classic rock was heavily played in the Lovell household—from Black Sabbath and Blue Öyster Cult to Allman Brothers Band, Alison Krauss and Crosby, Stills and Nash. "Ozzy’s my favorite singer of just about all time," said Rebecca.

The Lovell sisters first learned to play the violin

Before Rebecca was fretting away on an electric guitar and Megan was shredding on her lap steel, the two were practicing classical musicians.

"We started out in violin when she was 3 and I was 4," said Megan. "God bless our mother. She drove us to those lessons and listened to [us play]."

"Our violins were literally cardboard because they didn’t make them small enough," recalled Rebecca. "They sounded so bad."

MerleFest introduced Larkin Poe to bluegrass

It wasn’t until their first official bluegrass festival that Larkin Poe decided to switch gears, switch instruments and take up a new genre.

"As classical musicians, you grow up reading off the page," said Rebecca. "Going to a bluegrass festival and having our eyes opened to the glory of improvisation, we had never seen that before. And the joy that these people had onstage…."

"It was intoxicating for us," said Megan.

"We went to that bluegrass festival, [and then] literally quit all our lessons," added Rebecca. "Our mom was pissed but she got on board. Then we got banjos and mandolins and guitars and about six months later we were like, ‘we’re playing a bluegrass gig.’ So, we went to Signal Mountain, Tennessee and we brought sheet music onstage with us. We were so nervous, and we thought that we’d forget how to do our thing that we’d been practicing wholeheartedly for weeks."

Jerry Douglas inspired Megan Lovell to pick up the dobro

After trying her hand at the mandolin, banjo and guitar, neither of the instruments felt right in Megan’s hands, until she discovered the dobro.

"I started playing [dobro] at age 13 or 14," she recalled. “I saw it being played, and I was like, that’s it, that’s what I want to play. We grew up listening to Alison Krauss featuring Jerry Douglas, so I think that I had been hearing that sound for a long time, but I didn’t know what it was. So, when I saw it, I was immediately connected."

Larkin Poe met Elvis Costello as teenagers

In one of the most endearing stories of the evening, Larkin Poe recalled meeting Elvis Costello onstage at MerleFest, and how they didn’t know it was him at first.

“A couple years later, we were asked to perform [at MerleFest], and so we were playing on the Cabin Stage, which is about the size of a postage stamp,” recalled Rebecca. “Elvis was headlining the festival, but again, the beauty of the bluegrass festival—they have a super jam. So, at the time, because we were fearless children, we were getting up with everybody that we could. Somebody would start playing a song that we knew, and we would get on stage and try to take part. So, Elvis was singing a gospel tune that we knew, and we went over and crowded around him, not knowing who he was, and just started singing harmony. … So, we made really good friends and he’s become an incredible champion and mentor for us over the years.”

To this day, Costello is the first person Rebecca Lovell sends demos of new songs to. When Rebecca decided it was time to plug in and switch to an electric guitar, she went out and bought a Fender Jazzmaster, a decision that was also inspired by Costello.

Keith Urban taught them how to perform on arena stages

For most of 2018, Larkin Poe were the guests on Urban’s tour. For the duo, it was like getting a first-class education in how to perform before an arena-sized audience.

“We went out on the road with Keith Urban and that was our first time doing a tour of arenas,” said Megan. “He has such a command of an audience and he really connects with people, it’s incredible to watch, so I think we learned a lot from him on how to perform on a large stage like that. And it was perfect. It was leading right into opening for Bob Seger, and so we knew what it felt like to play on a stage like that and interact with an audience of that size. I feel like we made leaps and bounds that year."

Larkin Poe have never spent more than two weeks apart

In their nearly three decades of life, the sisters have never spent more than two weeks apart from each other.

“It’s a crazy number, and it’s absolutely true,” said Rebecca. “I would never trade that for anything. If at any point in time music got in between Megan and I, which it never could because we share it so intimately with each other, it would go away because we’ve been able to see the world together and be very fulfilled and work hard together and have exciting things happen.”

Rebecca and Megan first toured with their older sister Jessica

Playing together as a family for so many years has given Megan and Rebecca an unmatched ability to perfectly harmonize together.

"We have an older sister Jessica, and initially we toured with her as our lead singer," said Rebecca. "Megan was always the low third and I was always the high third to make the chord. So even now—it happens with frightening regularity—we’ll be in the car singing a song with the radio and then we turn the radio off and we’re still singing the song and each of us will automatically split to the harmony parts without there being a melody. Getting to sing with each other, it’s very effortless and there is something to the texture of the vocal and the way that we say our words the same way."

They consider blues and roots to be the "source music of the South"

When it comes to their Southern roots and family history, both play a large role in the storytelling that’s present in their songs, and their name. They named their band after their great great great great grandfather Larkin Poe.

"For me, as a songwriter, we grew up hearing a lot of stories about the generations that led to us," said Rebecca. "There’s a lot of very dramatic stories about our father’s side of the family during the Great Depression, living in Alabama, poverty-stricken, these people that were struggling so hard to just make ends meet and live, and I think finding a medium in which to tell some of those stories about our family, and in that way rooting yourself in your culture and where you come from and trying to continue to represent and preserve that story and the vibe of what it means to be a Lovell and a Miller and a Poe…that that has meaning to us because it connects to the generation that led to us."

Receiving a GRAMMY nomination means the most to their parents

When asked how it feels to be nominated for a GRAMMY Award, the sister duo pointed to the fact that, above how important it is to them, what it means to their parents is on a whole other level.

"Our poor parents have had to have their two daughters, for the last decade and change, running around the world with very little example of the fact that we had success," said Rebecca. "Our family has been incredibly supportive of what we’ve decided to do, and they come to our shows and they’re very proud, but to have gotten this GRAMMY nod, for them I think, even beyond what it means for us, what it means for our folks, it makes me want to tear up and cry because really that’s when you feel the power of it."

As for mom and dad Lovell, they’ll be cheering their daughters on from Staples Center when they attend the GRAMMY Awards with Rebecca and Megan this Sunday."

I count 12 things in bold in the original article, rather than 11, which probably is the influence of Spinal Tap or something. Probably also worth mentioning that Rhiannon Giddens is nominated this year too in the category of Best American Roots Performance. The awards show is not broadcast in the UK - presumably because it takes place in the early hours of the morning, so I will wait for reports to see whether anyone we know actually won anything. It would be a great boost for Larkin Poe, but just being nominated is a help too.

MOOT

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.dailyma ... -bash.html

Imagine that duet: Elvis Costello warmly put his hands on the shoulders of Chance The Rapper as the pair of them got their photo taken inside the glittering Beverly Hills shindig
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

It won the Grammy! Change the subject title!

dave
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

FAVEHOUR wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyyZBK8k228

post -win interview
That's a great interview. Congrats Elvis!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Superb news on a dark Los Angeles day. Congrats boys....oh, and girls.
Shatteredmannequin

Post by Shatteredmannequin »

Look Now!!! Elvis & the Imposters won!!!!

CONGRATS!
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Is there no footage of him actually winning? Was he on the broadcast?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Arbogast wrote:Is there no footage of him actually winning? Was he on the broadcast?

no they only broadcast a few awards, this was a pre-broadcast award. Looked for footage of the acceptance speech, but haven't seen any yet.

They have added the red carpet interview to Youtube, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c4P_rd564s

dave
MOJO

Re: Look Now wins Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album!

Post by MOJO »

Pete “Totally Trad” Thomas. Classic footage. Nice to see EC / Imposters take the win. Well deserved recognition.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://americansongwriter.com/backstag ... aul-zollo/

Backstage Grammys Report: Elvis Costello on Co-writing with Carole King & Burt Bacharach at the Same Time.

More evidence of the power of song: the first standing ovation of the night went to a songwriter, Elvis Costello, who won the Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album for Look Now, by Elvis Costello & The Impostors.

Elvis, who walked through the crowd slowly during this pre-televised “premiere” section of the event to accept his award, seemed surprised by the reception.

In black chapeau and blue two-piece suit, he accepted his Grammy with longtime Attractions drummer Pete Thomas beside him. “This means so much,” he said. “Because it has a song that I wrote with Carole King and held it for 25 years. Because I had to get it right. I didn’t want to tell Carole until it was perfect. Now I got it, on this album. At last.”

That song is ” “Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter,” which they wrote and demoed more than two decades ago, and though Elvis performed it live a few times, never officially recorded until last year for this project.

So when Elvis came backstage to talk, the first question we asked was about this song with Carole King. 25 years it took to record? Why so long?

“Because it was Carole King!” he said with a smile “I wanted to get it right. Our method usually, with the Attractions and the Impostors too, was to prepare a lot before we got into the studio. We like to have a real clear idea of how we are going to approach it. Then we do very few takes. In that was I am a traditionalist. But with that song, we just never got it right.”

“Also it happened at the same time I was working on the album Painted From Memory, eleven songs I wrote with Burt Bacharach, and I couldn’t tell Carole King I didn’t do our songs because of working with Burt Bacharach, now could I? “

“And, truthfully,” he added, “the albums we made after that had styles with which this song didn’t fit. So it really was a case of patience being awarded, I suppose.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://meaww.com/grammys-2020-elvis-co ... m-look-now

Grammys 2020: Elvis Costello & The Imposters mark first win with award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album

They had previously been nominated in the 47th Annual Grammy Awards in 2004 for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal on their song 'Monkey To Man' and Best Rock Album for 'The Delivery Man’.

The Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album in the 2020 Grammys goes to 'Look Now' by Elvis Costello & The Imposters. The win marks the group's first Grammy win. They had been nominated in the 47th Annual Grammy Awards in 2004 for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal on their song 'Monkey To Man' and Best Rock Album for 'The Delivery Man'.

In the one-on-one interview at the Grammys, Costello introduced his fellow band members and after mentioning their individual previous Grammy wins, he stated, "We are our own tradition." He expressed that people may be surprised 'cause they think of the group offering only one kind of music from 40 years ago, although he mentioned they play "every kind of music".

Costello said that even their earlier rock 'n' roll records when they first started out were "always intended to be played on the radio". He went on to express how even though they were considered rock in their early days in the US, in the UK they were regarded as pop. He said, "I was the Billie Eilish of 1979. I was a new artist then." He remarked how different categories are based on people's opinions, saying "when it comes to categories, it's all silly 'cause you can't say one song is truly better than another. It's somebody's opinion."

The Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album is an award presented to recording artists at the Grammy Awards, a ceremony that was established in 1958 and originally called the Gramophone Awards.

sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

GET IN
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Interview prior to winning. Davey chewing and enjoying himself. Sebastian an imposter Imposter. Pete being "traditional". Elvis pleased to even be nominated, and reminding us that The Attractions were never nominated, and neither were The Who or Queen.

MSN.com

Billboad Grammys pre-show interview screen capture
Billboad Grammys pre-show interview screen capture
2020-01-26 Los Angeles photo 01 sc.jpg (116.06 KiB) Viewed 46005 times
Screen capture.

MOOT