kosi559 wrote:https://forms.gle/7jJ1smabrtRfZ8Y8A
Vote for your LEAST favorite song
Miracle Man is out.

Finally!!!!

dave
Neil.

Re: My Aim Is True Survivor (Round 8)

Post by Neil. »

Thanks for organising this. This is the first one where I can't get that excited. I never play this album and have always found it a historical footnote before the 'real' first album, This Year's Model. Do people love this album or is it a outlier these days?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:
kosi559 wrote:https://forms.gle/7jJ1smabrtRfZ8Y8A
Vote for your LEAST favorite song
Miracle Man is out.

Finally!!!!

dave
Are you kidding???? Love this song.

Neil. wrote:Thanks for organising this. This is the first one where I can't get that excited. I never play this album and have always found it a historical footnote before the 'real' first album, This Year's Model. Do people love this album or is it a outlier these days?

I worship this album....life changing for many!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm afraid I'm with Neil on this one, my second Elvis purchase after "This Year's Model" and it felt so tame after the 1978 musical pyrotechnics. I'm also convinced that an early purchase of a bootleg El Mocambo also coloured my opinion of MAIT because every song from that album was blown out of the water by the performance of The Attractions. MAIT is an astonishing debut album with some great songs but their performance by The Attractions live lifts them to another realm entirely.
Now if only John Foyle and I had unearthed the recordings apparently NOT made of MAIT by the Attractions in Cornwall on our first South West heritage trail, we could rest our case. :shock:

Also, I'm with BA on "Miracle Man" , sorry DaveFAve :wink:
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Perspective is important. If you came upon MAIT late having heard other albums then it’ll appear pale and understated. However having bought it on the day of release it played non- stop in our student house. Yes TYM is better and the Attractions improve everything but this is where it all started. So very important and much loved.

And of course there’s no Watching the Detectives.....
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Fishfinger king wrote:Perspective is important. If you came upon MAIT late having heard other albums then it’ll appear pale and understated. However having bought it on the day of release it played non- stop in our student house. Yes TYM is better and the Attractions improve everything but this is where it all started. So very important and much loved.

EXACTLY Ffk....if this was your starting point in 1977 and you played it 5 times a week AT LEAST for the 8 or xo months before we received the metamorphosis contained on TYM, you KNOW it's real value. If you backtracked, i guess i can understand. But, like a FIRST LOVE to me!!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, totally get that it's about when you heard it.

I got to it late - after I'd heard most of the Attractions albums.

So it did suffer by comparison.

But I can appreciate that the 'anti-love song' vibe of a lot of the material must have felt like a blast of fresh air amid the mid-70s radio ballads (much as I love those). Kind of, the attitude of punk but with lyrics you could hear and that had bite.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Yes, depends on when. I heard MAIT first and could tell that something or other was going on, something worth keeping an eye on, and you can just imagine what that made TYM sound like when it arrived. Yikes!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

jardine wrote:Yes, depends on when. I heard MAIT first and could tell that something or other was going on, something worth keeping an eye on, and you can just imagine what that made TYM sound like when it arrived. Yikes!

Exactly. Liked it when I got it in November 77, but not sure....saw the Saturday Night Live appearance in December, very interesting...saw EC and the A's at the Warner in February and was blown away, and then TYM came out (import) a couple weeks later. Amazing trajectory.

Dave
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fishfinger king wrote:Perspective is important. If you came upon MAIT late having heard other albums then it’ll appear pale and understated. However having bought it on the day of release it played non- stop in our student house. Yes TYM is better and the Attractions improve everything but this is where it all started. So very important and much loved.

:D :D :wink:
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:I'm afraid I'm with Neil on this one, my second Elvis purchase after "This Year's Model" and it felt so tame after the 1978 musical pyrotechnics. I'm also convinced that an early purchase of a bootleg El Mocambo also coloured my opinion of MAIT because every song from that album was blown out of the water by the performance of The Attractions. MAIT is an astonishing debut album with some great songs but their performance by The Attractions live lifts them to another realm entirely.
Now if only John Foyle and I had unearthed the recordings apparently NOT made of MAIT by the Attractions in Cornwall on our first South West heritage trail, we could rest our case. :shock:

Also, I'm with BA on "Miracle Man" , sorry DaveFAve :wink:
Exactly. After having heard TYM as my first EC album I thought MAIT was a bit so-so. Later I got my hands on a tape with the El Mocambo show backed with a live recording of a Malmö1978 gig and the MAIT songs with the Attractions all of a sudden got a completely different life.

...and Sulky, maybe you and John didn´t try hard enough... :-)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Wrong thread
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Sorry!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.