Fuji~Rama: new Steve Nieve album

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Fuji~Rama: new Steve Nieve album

Post by sweetest punch »

https://qrates.com/projects/14903-fuji- ... gLdTU17bmQ

Fuji~Rama - Steve Nieve (Elvis Costello Grammy Winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) with special guests Ned Rothenberg, Simon Fisher Turner, David Coulter and Ajuq.

Steve Nieve improvises using samplers, synthesisers, organs and prepared pianos. The key to his approach is "minimal". Steve invited four close friends to join the spirit of these ambiant landscapes. Ned Rothenberg, Simon Fisher Turner, David Coulter and Ajuq. Fuji~rama was inspired by a personal experience of an earthquake, which occurred while climbing the sacred mountain back in the previous century.

"The earthquake lasted less than a minute. It was an awesome expression of mother nature, and a once in a lifetime encounter. It was everything but frightening. When it was over I just wanted it to return again. Since then, the act of standing on the earth has never been at all the same". Steve composed a series of electronic soundscapes and posted them on his soundcloud page. He then invited his collaborators to choose a landscape and add their musical voices. This is the first release on Trouville Records.

—————————-
Crowdfunding: 30 €

Format
12” Black heavy vinyl (33 rpm)
Caution: Vinyl mockups and specs may differ from the final product. Qrates is not responsible if the final product does not match expectations.

Digital download bonus
This project has no digital download bonus.

Crowdfunding project
This funding project accepts orders during its project period and you will be charged once the project succeeds. The project period may be shortened or extended depending on the situation.

Project duration
May 26 2020 ~ Jul 5 2020 00:00 UTC

Estimated shipping date
Records are shipped typically 2-3 months from the project’s end date once after the project has successfully ended.
* Please note that the schedule is subject to change depending on any schedule changes at the pressing plant and the artist’s ability to submit production assets.

Shipping
Ship from London/UK

————————————
Steve Nieve
Paris and Trouville Sur Mer, France

1Projects

Steve Nieve is the Grammy Awarded keyboard player of Elvis Costello and the Attractions/Imposters. The distinctive sound of Costello is widely recognised as the work of Steve’s highly distinctive keyboard styling. Steve Nieve was inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. Here on Q-Rates via Trouville Records most of Steve Nieve's music can be obtained on vinyl. First up is "Fuji~rama" a minimalist electronic improvisation on a memory of an earthquake. This will be followed by "Steve Nieve Plays Elvis Costello", a beautiful recording of Costello's tunes masterfully arranged for solo piano and performed by Steve Nieve. Previous works soon to be included on Trouville Records: Keyboard Jungle (1983) , Mumu (2000), Raining Somewhere (2003), Windows (2004), Welcome to the Voice (2007), Lazy Point (2110). Together (2015). Therefore this year, 2020, inspite of the Covid 19 lock down, promises to be an exciting year for fans of Steve Nieve.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Fuji~Rama: new Steve Nieve album

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
WallyRando

Post by WallyRando »

Somehow missed this before creating a duplicative thread. Glad to see Steve reached the 200 minimum and looking forward to my copy!
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

So are we looking at an October/November release date then?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://blog.qrates.com/wax-heart-with- ... d3ef22d3f4

Wax Heart with Steve Nieve

Wax Heart is a series featuring the artist and the 5 records that made them who they are today.

Who is Steve Nieve?

Steve Nieve is the Grammy Awarded keyboard player of Elvis Costello and the Attractions/Imposters. The distinctive sound of Costello is widely recognised as the work of Steve’s highly distinctive keyboard styling. Steve Nieve was inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. Here on Q-Rates via Trouville Records most of Steve Nieve’s music can be obtained on vinyl. First up is “Fuji~rama” a minimalist electronic improvisation on a memory of an earthquake. This will be followed by “Steve Nieve Plays Elvis Costello”, a beautiful recording of Costello’s tunes masterfully arranged for solo piano and performed by Steve Nieve. Previous works soon to be included on Trouville Records: Keyboard Jungle (1983) , Mumu (2000), Raining Somewhere (2003), Windows (2004), Welcome to the Voice (2007), Lazy Point (2110). Together (2015). Therefore this year, 2020, inspite of the Covid 19 lock down, promises to be an exciting year for fans of Steve Nieve.

Record #1 — What’s the first record you ever bought?

Electric Warrior / T.Rex
My very first collection of records was completely vinyl and I loved them. I have no idea where they all are now. Some remain at my parent’s house, mostly the classical records, and some strange records I was given as a child. Sparky’s Magic Piano for example. The discovery of the electric guitar, and other electric instruments was a life changer. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Dusty Springfield, The Beatles of course, they all figured in my adolescent collection.

Record #2 — What’s the last record you bought?

Hermitage / Ron Sexsmith
Beautiful voice has Ron Sexsmith, and I love his carefully crafted songs. His melodies slip here and there, because his voice is like honey, it’s not following the usual line of things. Also he has a lovely way with his lyrics. Highly recommend ALL of Ron’s albums. I wrote a modern opera “Welcome to the Voice”, libretto by Muriel Teodori. We first performed it with Ron Sexsmith, Elvis Costello and John Flansburgh in the male roles, at the town Hall in New York. And Ron sings a song of mine on my album “Together” a song called “Bonfire Night”. All my past records I plan to release on my own label “Trouville Records” on Qrates

Record #3 — Your all-time favorite record?

This Year’s Model / Elvis Costello and the Attractions
I joined Elvis Costello and the Attractions when I was just 17 years of age. Our first album was “This Year’s Model”, and we were so excited to be making it there was very little to think about, we just did it. It has a unique sound, because in those days we played more gigs than days in the year, and we knew the material inside out. A lot of the music inside these songs was developed during our live shows, we quickly found the most economic way to play these songs. I loved working with Nick Lowe who produced all our early records. He made being in the studio, under a microscope FUN. And I think having vinyl is FUN too.

Record #4 — Any particular record (both audio/artwork) that influenced your latest project on Qrates?

My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts / David Byrne and Brian Eno
When this album came out it was a real revolution. I wouldn’t say Fuji~Rama sounds anything like it, but the possibilities of adding material from all over the world, from different times, past, present, maybe even the future?? These things are much easier now than they were back then for these two genius’ of the music. I recall at the time we were all using cassettes, making playlists, recording the radio, and the tapes had their own wonderful vibey sound. I used a cassette recorder for one of the elements on one of the tracks on Fuji~Rama. But it’s the sort of audio collage aspect of this album that was so mind-blowing at the time. Love it.

Record #5 — Any other particular record (both audio/artwork) that influenced your latest project on Qrates?

Escalator Over the Hill / Carla Bley and many others
This is a beautiful modern music theatre piece, and I went to a festival just outside Lyon to hear it recreated fairly recently. What can I say, it’s a master piece. Improvisation is the key. Even though it’s a sophisticated composition. It uses improvisation as a compositional tool. Nothing like this record on Fuji~Rama, but again Improvisation is the main seed.

What’s your favorite record store and why?

Qrates
I say this because I just discovered the site. And I think making it possible for independent artists to create Vinyl versions of their work is a beautiful plan, and I’d like more artists to use the platform and I’d like to see Qrates become extremely popular. It’s true we live in a world of steaming, where music is intangible. But the fact to have a real cover, and to have the sound of the vinyl needle impregnated into the music, that’s the first injection that got me hooked, and I want to experience this again. So here I am on Qrates.

Is there any particular reason you’d like to press vinyl?

I just answered this, but another reason is this, very difficult to pirate, right?

What’s your favorite track from the project?

It’s a track that’s not on the record, it’ll be a digital bonus, because of Covid19 all the musicians on the record attempted to play together using Zoom. I think we recorded something interesting over the internet. So one of these bonus tracks would be a favourite, because you can see us all playing!

Steve Nieve’s vinyl project: “Fuji~Rama” is available for pre-order until Jul 31 2020 00:00 UTC on Qrates.com!
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Still waiting ...
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Didn't you get the email? Not shipping until the end of November.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

fred darden wrote:Didn't you get the email? Not shipping until the end of November.

darn...i get no emails about it!!
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Ah, same for me: I didn't get the email either.

Thanks for the info here, Fred!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I recieved this mail:

Current estimated shipping date
Hi ,

Just to update you!
The current estimated shipping date for Fuji~Rama / Steve Nieve is between 2020-11-13 05:03:07 ~ 2020-11-27 05:03:07. Please keep in mind that the shipping date could change due to manufacturing hang-ups.

You will receive another notification when pressing starts with a more accurate Estimated Shipping Date (ESD).
krm

Post by krm »

Mail was sent out early September!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Sorry, didn’t make this clear.
Mail was sent on September 4!
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Qrates:

"Exciting news! Fuji~Rama by Steve Nieve has started pressing at the vinyl plant. Currently, the estimated shipping date for your pre-ordered vinyl is Feb 14 2021."

That will be ... what? 10 months after purchase?

what a pathetic service ...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

awww come on ...at the rate they are going, they will print 5 a day!!! :shock: :shock:
i think Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble are manning the printing press, :lol:
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

It's quite difficult to get vinyl pressed these days - there's not many places that do it and it's expensive. No doubt there are other artists ahead of Steve in the queue. I know it says "we've started pressing" but that's surely a euphemism. Pressing plants service lots of clients.

Remember that Steve had to get a certain number of people to commit to buying this album before it even was going to happen. Steve isn't Elvis. He doesn't have a label backing him (and covering the costs) and can't just splurge thousands pressing a record that no one might buy.

As a recording artist myself I'm quite sympathetic. I would never contemplate releasing my music on vinyl due to the upfront costs - and yes, I have had requests, but I can't afford it when demand for physical product is so limited.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

just got email notification that the record was going to be shipping soon. woohoo
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

And it's all gone very quiet again ...

'will be shipped soon' they wrote, and it's 19 days after receiving that email.

(more than 8 months after purchase, by the way)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

it is just a bit too much, almost against all odds. it is a very tough reach for our guy to have done this. and an expensive proposition no doubt. the outlay can be vast and unfortunately, also a gamble of sorts. i guess we are all left fingers crossed that the companies involved are treating Steve proper. throw in to the mix, the tremendous rates associated with all international shipment in 2021, then add in to that the Covid delays factor....a tough nut to crack. let's hope it works for all in the end and that Steve makes a couple dollars for his efforts. AND WE GET TO ENJOY THE MUSIC SOON!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I think there is like one pressing machine on the planet right now. Wasn’t there a fire somewhere that caused major problems with manufacturing/production?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

MOJO wrote:I think there is like one pressing machine on the planet right now. Wasn’t there a fire somewhere that caused major problems with manufacturing/production?

Don't know, I mean Elvis has been able to press multi coloured versions of "Hey Clockface " so ??!!..........................
krm

Post by krm »

I just got an email from Qrates that the package has been shipped. It is slowly getting exciting.....
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

krm wrote:I just got an email from Qrates that the package has been shipped. It is slowly getting exciting.....
Me too! 30 seconds ago! Things seem to be moving at last! 8)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ymaginatif wrote:
krm wrote:I just got an email from Qrates that the package has been shipped. It is slowly getting exciting.....
Me too! 30 seconds ago! Things seem to be moving at last! 8)

great news....i didn't get the email, because someone else had ordered it for me. you might know the guy! :lol: :lol:
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Ditto, en route to Chicago.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

fred darden wrote:Ditto, en route to Chicago.
And to the home of the Pilgrim Fathers !