Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Orpheum Theatre, New Orleans, LA, January 16, 2024

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Orpheum Theatre, New Orleans, LA, January 16, 2024

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton play the Orpheum Theatre in New Orleans, LA on Tuesday January 16, 2024.

This will be Elvis ' second appearance at the Orpheum Theatre in New Orleans. He played there with the Presearvation Hal Jazz Band in May 2022.
Orpheum Theatre, New Orleans, January 16, 2024
Orpheum Theatre, New Orleans, January 16, 2024
2024-01-1 New Orleans poster 01.jpg (124.89 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
TIcket prices range rom $59.50 to $180 for the best seats. The show is maybe 85% sold, but seats remain at different prices.

Who's going?

MOOT
Fishfinger king

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Orpheum Theatre, New Orleans, LA, January 16, 2024

Post by Fishfinger king »

I am going with the Fishfinger queen and we are taking the opportunity to do a little New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville tour. So also catching the EC Ryman show at the end, plus a night at the Grand Old Opry. Looking forward to it!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Orpheum Theatre, New Orleans, LA, January 16, 2024

Post by johnfoyle »

Looking forward to reviews etc
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Newspaper Pane was to attend I think....do tell Mike! Hope you enjoyed.
Man out of Time

Keith Spera wrote an article published in the New Orleans Times Picayune on 11 January, 2024 in which he listed this show as one of the live music highlights in New Orleans for the week of Jan. 11-17.

" ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS
TUESDAY, ORPHEUM THEATER

British-born rocker Elvis Costello has a lifelong affinity for, and association with, New Orleans music, including the Dirty Dozen Brass Band’s appearance on his 1989 album “Spike.” Costello’s Big Easy connection kicked into overdrive via his fruitful post-Hurricane Katrina collaboration with Allen Toussaint, which resulted in the excellent “The River in Reverse” album and launched Toussaint as a global touring act. More recently, Costello paid tribute to the late Toussaint during the 2022 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. For his current "7-0-7 Tour," Costello’s Imposters will be augmented by Texas guitarist and longtime Bob Dylan sideman Charlie Sexton. They’re at the Orpheum Theater on Tuesday. Tickets start at $59.50 plus fees."

Keith usually reviews Elvis' shows in New Orleans. Any sign of a review this time?

Also I see that the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival takes place this year from April 25-28 and from May 2-5. The Rolling Stones are headlining on May 2nd. The full line-up for the Festival will be announced on 18 January. Will it include Elvis (and the Imposters)?

MOOT
Fishfinger king

Elvis never ceases to amaze. I hadn’t looked at any of the other tour dates’ set lists before, as I like the surprise. To start with a new song like Town Called Riddle was very brave but it sounded very good. Then he followed it up with the three other unrecorded songs immediately after Radio Radio and Hetty O’Hara. Then Blood & Hot Sauce a bit later. Could have gone wrong but the enthusiastic crowd, sheltering from the atypical freezing temperatures outside, loved it.
An eclectic set list would be an understatement! I was expecting a little bit of Toussaint in there but not necessarily Wonder Woman and The Greatest Love. The latter done at the piano which ushered in a light slightly jazzy phase including an amazing version of Poisoned Rose and powerful Everyone’s Crying Mercy. Also did I Don’t Wanna Go Home which was fun. Plus American Without Tears as a Jo El Sonnier tribute. Also loved the new version of Everyday I Write The Book. All in all, another fantastic night with a very appreciative crowd.
Man out of Time

Fishfinger king wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:31 am Elvis never ceases to amaze
Thanks for the review FK - based on your review and the setlists from previous dates on this tour, would the partial setlist below fit with what you recall from this show:

1: A Town Called Riddle
2. Radio, Radio
3. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
4. My Baby Just Squeals (You Heel)
5. I Don't Want Your Lyndon Johnson
6. Like Licorice On Your Tongue
? Wonder Woman
? The Greatest Love (EC on piano)
? Everyday I Write The Book
? Poisoned Rose
? Blood & Hot Sauce
? Everybody's Crying Mercy
? I Don't Want To Go Home
? American Without Tears

Any more of the usual suspects that were played, such as Alison, Detectives, Chelsea, PLU?

MOOT
Fishfinger king

Waiting for the End of the World second
Mystery Dance after 3 new in a row
EIWTB was after Poisoned Rose & Blood etc
Italian song/ Almost Blue before American without tears
After American etc was usual finale - Chelsea, Magnificent, Pump, Alison and PLU - no extras.
That’s about it as I recall.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Fishfinger king wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:19 pm Waiting for the End of the World second
After American etc was usual finale - Chelsea, Magnificent, Pump, Alison and PLU - no extras.
No "Watching the Detectives"?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello/Twitter X

Dressed for success…Side stage at The Orpheum, New Orleans…
Showtime!!!

Fishfinger king

And No Coffee Table wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:16 am
Fishfinger king wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:19 pm Waiting for the End of the World second
No "Watching the Detectives"?
My mistake - of course there was!! Probably after Licorice.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Fishfinger king

Hetty may well have been before Radio Radio as that seems to be the general order (sorry I am very amateur at remembering set lists!)