Costello & Nieve: 15 songs from 50 years, Leeds (UK), Sept 2 & 3, 2024

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Costello & Nieve: 15 songs from 50 years, Leeds (UK), Sept 2 & 3, 2024

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/uncategor ... -to-leeds/

ELVIS COSTELLO’S “15 SONGS FROM 50 YEARS” COMES TO LEEDS

Walking in the footsteps of Harry Houdini and beyond the long shadow of Charlie Chaplin, Frank Carson and the great Leonard Sachs, Elvis Costello brings his new presentation “15 SONGS FROM 50 YEARS” to the City Varieties Music Hall in Leeds on Monday, 2nd September and Tuesday, 3rd September, staging four unique performances over two days, each of approximately a 75-minute duration.

The 7.00PM soiree will feature an entirely different repertoire to that of the 9.30PM performance, with songs selected from each of the five decades of Costello’s astonishing songwriting endeavors.

Tickets go on-sale Friday 22nd March at 10am from ElvisCostello.com.

City Varieties Music Hall
Monday, 2nd September – 2 SHOWS | 7.00PM and 9.30PM
Tuesday, 3rd September – 2 SHOWS | 7.00PM and 9.30PM

A fifteen-song programme will be printed in advance with few, if any repeats anticipated (but with the possibility of impromptu choices along the way). Costello and Nieve very occasionally take requests but should never be mistaken for a jukebox.

The third and fourth performances on the following day will propose a deuce of delights; two entirely different 15-song set-lists selected from half a century of popular songwriting craft.

The four shows are guaranteed to feature 60 different songs but we suspect this is just the start.

Asked about the involvement of his cohort, Steve Nieve, Costello said, “Well, to paraphrase John Lennon, Steve Nieve will “leap over horses, through hoops, up garters and lastly, through a hogshead of real fire” to bring his particular brand of musical magnificence to these performances.”

Costello added, “The City Varieties Music Hall has always been known for magic, melody, mirth and mayhem. These are all well within our grasp. By the way, had my father not taken a trumpet-playing engagement in London, just before my arrival into this world, I would have been a Chapeltown boy and this would be my hometown gig.”

The scale of the venue will allow Costello and Nieve to stage something akin to the widely acclaimed “100 Songs In 10 Nights (& More)” stand at the intimate Gramercy Theatre, New York City, in February 2023, for which 100 titles were advertised but well over 230 different songs were finally performed.

Unsurpassed in variety and voluminosity, Costello’s renowned refrains, romances, broadsides, bulletins and ballads are perfectly matched by Steve Nieve’s pulchritudinous and pulsating piano playing. The paragon of the profound and the peculiar, these premier performers present a penetrating pageant for perceptive and perspicacious patrons.

Those who want to attend all four contrasting shows in this exclusive engagement can obtain a special season ticket to include premium seats for each show in the front rows or boxes with exclusive use of the bar in between shows.

Do not dilly-dally or delay to avoid disappointment.

Last edited by sweetest punch on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: 15 songs from 50 years, Leeds (UK), Sept 2 & 3, 2024

Post by sweetest punch »

City Varieties Music Hall has a capacity of 467 people: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_C ... 20lighting.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
DeathWearsABigHat

Re: Costello & Nieve: 15 songs from 50 years, Leeds (UK), Sept 2 & 3, 2024

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

Wow!!
:shock:
I'll be trying to get tickets for that.
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Successfully purchased a 4 gig season ticket. The exclusive bar use was too much to turn down...... :roll:
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Pars

Post by Pars »

So, I have to purchase 2 tickets if I want to hear all 30 songs over the course of one evening ?!? Er….ok. By way of contrast, I enjoyed The Stranglers play a 29 song set at the Nottingham Concert Hall last night including a welcome 30 minute interval. ALL tickets priced at £40.00, front rows to back rows. Decent chap, that JJ Burnel.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Fishfinger king wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:10 am Successfully purchased a 4 gig season ticket. The exclusive bar use was too much to turn down...... :roll:
Think you're being kettled ..... :lol:
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Pars wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:33 am So, I have to purchase 2 tickets if I want to hear all 30 songs over the course of one evening ?!? Er….ok. By way of contrast, I enjoyed The Stranglers play a 29 song set at the Nottingham Concert Hall last night including a welcome 30 minute interval. ALL tickets priced at £40.00, front rows to back rows. Decent chap, that JJ Burnel.
Note that the NYC shows were billed as 100 songs and her played like 250 songs.
DeathWearsABigHat

Anyone else had issues with the presale?

I’ve had tickets in my basket several times, then the transaction won’t go through and you get a rather unhelpful error message.

“Sorry, there was a problem. Please check your entry and try again.”

Tried this on several different devices, different browsers, different payment cards, always the same result.

Very frustrating!!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

DeathWearsABigHat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:22 am Anyone else had issues with the presale?

I’ve had tickets in my basket several times, then the transaction won’t go through and you get a rather unhelpful error message.

Tried this on several different devices, different browsers, different payment cards, always the same result.

Very frustrating!!
I had the opposite experience- lots of problems with the site in the past but this time it was very quick and uncomplicated. Sorry you didn’t have such an easy time.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
DeathWearsABigHat

Fishfinger king wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:13 am
DeathWearsABigHat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:22 am Anyone else had issues with the presale?

Very frustrating!!
I had the opposite experience- lots of problems with the site in the past but this time it was very quick and uncomplicated. Sorry you didn’t have such an easy time.
Got the tickets I wanted in the end.
But it’s taken many, many attempts!
No idea why the transaction finally went through. It was no different to all my previous attempts.
I’ve had exactly the same problem with previous EC presales.

Anyway the good news is that I’m going to both the shows on Tuesday 3rd September. Very excited about that.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Newspaper Pane wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:03 pmNote that the NYC shows were billed as 100 songs and her played like 250 songs.
Not sure if time will allow too much more than 15 songs, allowing for rest.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

As a fan of the "Costello & Nieve" box set from their shows back in 1996, wouldn't it be good if there were another similar release of recordings from the forthcoming UK and Ireland tour?

There might be enough songs from the City Varieties Music Hall shows to fill a disc or two.

How about if it were called something like "Live At Leeds" ?

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

They could always ask "Glynn Johns" to record it for them ! :wink: :D
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Man out of Time wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:43 am How about if it were called something like "Live At Leeds" ?
Class
sulky lad wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:01 am They could always ask "Glynn Johns" to record it for them ! :wink: :D
Believe this is a real probability - I understand he has approval from his accountant and has inked those dates in his diary....
Teresa the Waitress

Post by Teresa the Waitress »

"Live at Leeds" was the title of an album by The Who, so no to that one!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Teresa the Waitress wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:56 am "Live at Leeds" was the title of an album by The Who, so no to that one!
As a 16 year-old living in Liverpool I bought this in May 1970.
As a 16 year-old living in Liverpool I'm sure EC did too.
He loved The Who.
He would, I'm sure, appreciate the joke!
Teresa the Waitress

Post by Teresa the Waitress »

Never knew he liked The Who, seem to recall him once saying he wasn't a rock fan ...
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

He seems to have lost interest in The Who before Live at Leeds.

2004 interview: "I never paid attention to the Who after 'I Can See for Miles.' I've never heard Tommy. I don't own a copy of Who's Next."
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

I have seen him play Substitute and as a snippet Can't Explain, but The Oo recorded these before ICSFM, so I stand corrected, but perhaps he would still see the joke?