Robbie Fulks Is Pretty Much The Man

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Robbie Fulks Is Pretty Much The Man

Post by El Vez »

Some of you who know me personally are well aware by now that I have this insidious plot to turn as many of you guys & gals as possible into hillbillies or at least roots music aficionados. Granted, So Lack will never turn to the wurlitzer side no matter how many Joy Division bootlegs I use as bait to get him into the Ernest Tubb Record Shop but I'm not giving up on the rest of you. At any rate, I just wanted to take this opportunity to cash in some of the credibility that I may have with a few of you and urge you to pick up a Fulks cd next time you're out music shopping. I love all his records but the three that really stand out for me are Country Love Songs (a strong contender for "Best Debut Album), Couples In Trouble (which, after the Flatt & Scruggs-like opening track, goes all Imperial Bedroom on you) and his latest, Georgia Hard which gets better each and every time I hear it.

Also, in the shameless plug department, Fulks was nice enough to allow us to use a quote of his from a BT interview on one of our super fine tees - http://www.cafepress.com/beingtheremag.42985343
bobster

Post by bobster »

I just posted that Lou Rawls was "definitely the man" but now I find that Robbie Fulks is merely "pretty much the man."

Still, haven't heard a note of the guy as far as I can tell, but anyone who can do "go Imperial Bedroom" on a country album has got to be worth listening to.

As to becoming a hillbilly -- my infamous half-brother who lives in Ohio has a lifelong prejudice against people so labelled, so for that alone it would be fun to become a jewbilly.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'm with you. (No hills around here, btw, but plenty of hicks.)

If I remember correctly Robbie kicks off my CD circle contribution with Let's Kill Saturday Night.
What this world needs is more silly men.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

"Countrier Than Thou" was just on the radio. Funny, funny song.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

noiseradio wrote:"Countrier Than Thou" was just on the radio. Funny, funny song.
"Armchair Arkansan" cracks me up to no end.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I encourage anyone, as El Vez did for me, to go see Mr. Fulks.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain