RIP Wicked Pickett

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

RIP Wicked Pickett

Post by Boy With A Problem »

One of the great soul singers
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Shit. I had him figured for older but he was only 64-- that's entirely too young to go, especially for such a towering singer. I was just grooving to his greatest hits the other day (see the What Are You Listening To thread!) and thinking how much I love his version of "Mama Told Me Not to Come". RIP.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

64 isn't that bad a run for the amount of drugs he did - I guess he sounded a lot older than his age on those early Stax records.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

He was one of the all time greats. I highly recommend the documentary Only The Strong Survives which was completely stolen by a livewire Pickett who couldn't help but come off like the coolest man on the planet.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

A tremendous loss. I'm very sad to hear this.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
alexv

Post by alexv »

Saw the documentary last night, Vez, and rufus and irma also came across great. Pickett lived next door to a guy I knew in a very conservative Jersey town, and the stories this man had about Pickett are unreal. Gargantuan appetite for life is I all I can say. His 64 is probably twice as much in normal human years.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I tend to lean towards more sophisticated and/or eclectic types, but there's no denying the man's status, musical power and influence or that the horn section on his records always rocked way hard. I'm also kind of pissed that I never got to see him live.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!