Bowie previews new album...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Bowie previews new album...

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bowie and his band played at a local hole in the wall called "The Chance" (just a short drive from my house). How did I miss this? Arrggghh!!! :x

Bowie Enjoys Live 'Reality' Check

By Wes Orshoski

NEW YORK (Billboard) - An admittedly nervous David Bowie previewed his forthcoming album, "Reality," in a tiny upstate New York club Tuesday night, playing most of the new set as well as such classics as "Suffragette City," "The Man Who Sold the World" and "Rebel Rebel."

Bowie and his six-piece touring outfit ran through an 18-song warm-up for his first large-scale world tour in more than a decade, set to begin Oct. 7 in Copenhagen. Before some 600 fans crammed into the scrappy Chance in downtown Poughkeepsie, N.Y., which lies roughly 80 miles from the heart of Manhattan, the artist proclaimed that he and his bandmates were terrified.

With fans sometimes wrapping their arms around his legs, Bowie delivered six songs from "Reality" (ISO/Columbia), including his take on the Jonathan Richman-penned "Pablo Picasso" (originally recorded by Richman's band the Modern Lovers), as well as the Sept. 11th-inspired "New Killer Star" and the defiant "Never Get Old."

At one point, he thanked the many audience members who had driven long distances to get to the show. "And some of you only came from New York," he quipped, before reminding himself to be nice, and then slyly referencing the departure time for the last train back to Manhattan: 10:59 p.m. Bowie left the stage just in time for audience members to catch that train.

Bowie and his backing band, the same unit that backed him on the Tony Visconti-produced "Reality," have been rehearsing for several weeks, and the singer admitted that the show was still a work in progress. Next to his mic was a music stand holding a book of lyrics, about which he noted that, if this weren't a warm-up gig, would not be necessary.

Bowie is expected to launch a North American tour in December.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
tart

Post by tart »

Amazing show! I've been to many Bowie shows but this one was probably my favorite.The energy between the band and the crowd was so intense I still get goosebumps thinking about that night.He'll be back around in the wintertime..can't wait!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

WSS: how unbearable to have missed this!!! Thanks for the account, though, great reading. I love it when biug names launch tours unofficially in small dives.

Tart: incredible that you were there! How did you get a ticket? How huge a fan are you? God I would love to see him up close like this. How exciting was it to hear Suffragette City being belted out? I'm going to see him at Wembley in London, but it won't be quite the experience you've had!
tart

Post by tart »

Tickets were available only to members of BowieNet, that of course didn't stop people from turning a profit through e-bay etc. I was insanely close with nothing obstructing my view,twas heaven!! Oh yeah Suffragette ROCKED along with Hang Onto Yourself.The new stuff sounded good too but we weren't the most unbiased crowd.One of my favorites live is his cover of the Pixies Cactus.
I'm the fan that'll queue up for a show before noon to get a spot at the stage but won't sleep on the sidewalk overnight. I guess that makes me only semi fanatical.
Will Wembley be your first Bowie show?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

No, saw him there on the Earthling tour, supported by a beleaguered Moz (who I love). It was good, but not stunning. I expect this one to be stunning. I love the fact that he wrote these songs with taking them on the road in mind is very exciting.

I could have seen him in 1983 on the Serious Moonlight tour (having grown up on the small island of Jersey, where Costello played in 1980, but Bowie certainly never did), but was so anti-Let's Dance [sorry Noise, I'm at it again!], that I stayed at home. Of course I regret that now, whilst still being half-admiring of my student-era principles.

Hang Onto Yourself too? Phwoar. Next thing he'll launch into Lady Stardust too and I will simply expire. I have a nice tape of him from a BBC concert last year where he played The Bewlay Brothers for the first time in decades. Brilliant. I wonder if that was a one-off. I love Cactus on the LP, so live should be a real treat.

Don't know if it was mentioned in another thread, but The sunday Times put out a CD-ROM with last week's edition, which was very flash and impressive, and it included snippets of several of the new songs, as well as a bit of interview and some nice journalism, and they did sound very good, as good as Heathen, I'm sure.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis:

I'm pretty sure he did "Bewlay Brothers" at one of his New York City Marathon shows last fall. Unfortunately not the one I attended, at Queens College. Still, it was a great show.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick