This Year's Girl / Radio Radio on the dvd

Pretty self-explanatory
DeathWearsABigHat

This Year's Girl / Radio Radio on the dvd

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

I've just been re-watching some of the extra bits on the "Right Spectacle" DVD.
I've got a few questions regarding the performances of This Year's Girl & Radio Radio on the tv show Revolver.

1. any idea why the Attractions are playing in front of a big photo of Peter Cook, was he invovled with that show in some way?

2. at what point did Elvis finally lose that silly London accent that he uses between songs on this & other early performances?
(by the way, I'm not suggesting from a moment that the London accent itself is silly, after all I have one myself being originally from there, but I just think it sounds very forced coming from Elvis who doesn't naturally talk that way.)

3. aren't those constant visual effects annoying? I know they were probably very new & exciting at the time, but surely they must have just looked silly even back then!

4. does anyone else agree with me that Pete Thomas is the greatest living drummer?
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
The imposter

That stupid accent

Post by The imposter »

Seems Elvis decided to switch to using a fake scouse accent instead round about '84. I say fake 'cos as far as I know he only lived there for a short time in the early seventies. I fully expect him to start sounding like an American any day soon.
pophead2k

Re: This Year's Girl / Radio Radio on the dvd

Post by pophead2k »

DeathWearsABigHat wrote:
4. does anyone else agree with me that Pete Thomas is the greatest living drummer?
Yes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

pophead2k wrote:
DeathWearsABigHat wrote:
Yes.
Yes, with the possible exception of Levon Helm, whose playing I haven't witnessed live myself.
What this world needs is more silly men.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I guess the reason I rate Pete so highly over so many great drummers is the variety of styles he's been tossed by his boss (and the many, many sessions he has performed on). It is amazing how many of my favorite artists Pete has performed with (Neil Finn, Los Lobos, Matthew Sweet, John Wesley Harding, etc.).

Although, Jim Keltner is right up there too..... hmmm....
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

1. Yes
2. Gone by the Almost Blue South Bank Show, so about 1980???
3. Yes
4. Yes
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Isn't there a Bruce Thomas quote accusing Elvis of changing his accent regularly to suit his audience?
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Aye, in the Big Wheel. Something about it being a-top-of-the-morning-Dublin accent in Ireland, Cockney, Scouse etc. I haven't got the book with me, so can't give an exact quote. I think Elvis still speaks with a faint Scouse twang today, though when he talks it's a bit of a non-accent.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

pophead2k wrote:
DeathWearsABigHat wrote:
Yes.
In rock, yes. I think Jeff Tain Watts is the greatest living drummer in any genre. I also still love Stewart Copeland. He's right up there with Pete.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

noiseradio wrote: I also still love Stewart Copeland. He's right up there with Pete.
With all due respect -- uh uh. No way.

Pete's the best, hands down -- considering his verstility, impeccable taste, subtlety when appropriate, and full maniacal application when needed.

Copeland's good, or was. (Where is he?)
Thomas is in his own league...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Copeland's good, or was. (Where is he?)
I saw him a couple of weeks ago on tv as one of a panel of judges on a horrible American Idol/Come Dancing type show in the UK - complete drivel.

Does anyone else have the green vinyl Klark Kent 10" with the sleeve in the shape of the letter K?
at what point did Elvis finally lose that silly London accent that he uses between songs on this & other early performances?
I was listening to the Imperial Bedroom - "Conversations with Elvis" disc recently and he definitely has a different accent on that than he does today...I'm guessing there's some truth to what Bruce says.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bobster

Post by bobster »

To my deeply American ear's EC's accent since the early nineties at least has been pretty much standard BBC stuff. The earlier stuff definitely had more of a working class sound to it (not quite Spike the Vampire, but not to far off either) -- but, to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, I think we're all instinctively prone to change our voices depending on who we're talking to most of the time.

So, yeah, it's pretty much a sure thing that EC's accent will get a bit more Canadian/American over the next few years.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!