New Bowie

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

New Bowie

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Heard Bowie's new single on BBC Radio 2. Reminiscent of Boys Keep Singing type guitars - much impressed.
Apparently there'll be an album preview with interviews etc on Sept 13th.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm looking forward to this one...

Like Heathen, it's got some interesting covers too.... George Harrison's "Try Some Buy Some" and Jonathan Richman's "Pablo Picasso"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Ahhwooooooooooo!
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Yummy. New Bowie...we'll be treated to new Bowie and new EC around the same time! Sometimes record companies do good things.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

SoLikeCandy wrote:Sometimes record companies do good things.
. . . . and when they do, it's generally accidental.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I can hardly contain myself. It's almost a case of wondering how I can bear to exist until all this happens (well, the three last reissues arrived today plus a bunch of other stuff...), but really, North + Reality in Sept, Elv + Steve at the RFH in Oct, Bowie at Wembley (in the stalls) in Nov.

Which Radio 2 was that? Will listen again. As it was 2.5 hours into the J Ross show, I only managed to play it + the accompanying interview once (if there's a way to download the entire programme and go to the bit you want, I don't know it, I can only listen to the whole show as if being broadcast in its entirety, with pause as the only control). Was a bit Boys K Sish, PlaythingOrPet heard Blur, I heard Aladdin Sane, but it did sound great. So it looks like he's still on form. The tour could be this band and latter-day renaissance at their peak. Played Win the other day, as he said they'll be doing that, and how fantastic is that song still? I just can't wait.

He says the Pablo Picasso is unrecognisable. I don't actually know (or remember at least) the original, will have to check it out.
Otis Westinghouse

Funnily enough, whilst I was typing, it turns out that BBC1 was re-running 'Liquid assets - Bowie's millions'. This is a distasteful series which is to pop stars' lucre what Hello magazine is to their houses and weddings, fostering voyeuristic rubber-necking. But of course I was dying to see it, cos you can' help but look, can you? It was pulled when it was first meant to go out, due to the Iraq war, I think, and I've not sought it out since, but having seen a bit just now I had to set the video running - they were showing his NY penthouse flat from the outside, a new place on top of an old building, worth $8m+ (see, it's rubbed off on me), saw a photo of where he lived in Berlin (above an old bakery, anyone got the address, wish I'd gone on a pilgrimage when I did my own Berlin stint in the 80s), heard the vile Angie going on about how he neeeded his head examined at the time for wanting to live there, heard how he wrote the words to Heroes in the Mountain studio toilet in Switzerland in 5 mins. And they showed how his real estate alone is worth £19m+, and showed his Irish castle! And there I left it, as they were starting to slag off, inevitably, his attempts at painting.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Which Radio 2 was that? ... if there's a way to download the entire programme and go to the bit you want, I don't know it
I heard it on Richard Allinson's slot, Saturday. 'Tis he who will be showcasing the album on Sept 13th.

When replaying an archived show, there should be a slider bar to let you skip through to the bit you want.

As for downloading, the BBC deliberately avoid 'save as' options so the only way to achieve it, that i know of, is to 'capture the stream' using something like TotalRecorder or StreamBoxRipper.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just checked a listing and the video for his new single, New Killer Star, will be on within half an hour. I'll give a report on it later...
bambooneedle

Bowie video

Post by bambooneedle »

Well, not too remarkable. A series of bright hollographic images seen from left to right to left again... obviously intended to make you space out and listen to the song. The images were varied, always with that left right movement. Thematically, with the benefit of listening, it seemed to be about universal confusion/uncertainty ('don't ever say I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready) in a technological and potentially nuclear age ('nuclear star' changes to 'new killer star'). Don't want to overanalyze, and it wasn't too direct, but with its tones and (lyric) images, sort of engaged me with a few ideas.

It's interesting that whatever he is doing artistically is not easy to grasp immediately and that he can make me look for ideas because of his reputation, whereas I'd switch off if it was some unknown. I've only recently been discovering some of his work. I've had a look around the net and read a bit about his latest album.. some people probably overintellectualize (or at least I don't get what they're going on about), which is easy to do but may be way off. There probably won't be much concensus about what he seems to be doing creatively. Anyone care to offer some basic thoughts on this or about his creative process? ... I remember he once took to writing lyrics as they were randomly put out by a computer.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Otis: With EC and Bowie releasing new albums on the same day, is there a chance you might explode?

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

I have already! And then there's the added dilemma of whether to order them off Play or CD-WOW, or, more in keeping with time-honoured traditions, nip into town and come home with them in my sweaty palm (and possibly find they don't have the special editions of each, which I need to have, though actually with North isn't the DVD free with the first 100,000? that's a hell of a lot. I think the reality free CD EP is a special edition you pay more for). Further twist to the dilemma, I'm off to Madrid at the crack of dawn on the 16th for three days (not to watch Real, I hasten to add, but if I run into the other DB, I'll buy him una caña and offer my interpreting skills), so if I do rush in, I won't be able to enjoy them much at first. I can take my Walkman, which I don't particularly like travelling with (an iPod would be so much better, eh?).

And then there's the other dilemma: which to play first?

I'm listening to Hail To The Thief a lot right now. Apart from the brilliance of There, There, I love the closing trilogy of Myxomatosis, Scatterbrain, and Wolf at the Door, which has their best bit of sheer melody in a long time. I like the general blend of electronics, texture and experimentalism with sonic loveliness, and Wolf at the Door sums this up perfectly, with memorable words to boot. I don't think they've maintained the brilliance of The Bends or OK Computer (some of HTTT seems pretty forgettable), but I'm still really impressed by their determination to be a bit different and original. Most bands seem so totally obvious and unimaginative by comparison. I wonder if Elvis reciprocates Thom's appreciation in any way.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Otis,

One of your dilemmas solved:

Listen to North first. After Reality, North will seem too much a downer, and it's not really. So go North, and then head into Reality.

Since I know both of us will bu it the day it comes out, I thik we should post here a song-by-song critique of Reality and see how we each think it is.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

Thanks for the dilemma-solving, though I was thinking the other way round might make sense, becuase Reality sounds like it's more for when you're still active, and North for late at night when you're winding down.

Is Reality out Sept 15 everywhere, or at least in the US as well as here? If so, then we will definitely need to go for the critique plan and I will definitely need to start with Reality in order to fit this in. Also, unless you're listening and critiquing during your day, I won't get to see it until, probably, Friday 19 due to my Madrid trip. I think Texas is 7 hours earlier than here, two hours before EST, is that right. as I am leaving home at c. 4.30 am on Tuesday, you will need to have sent your thoughts by 3 or 4 absolute latest for this to work. But at least others can enjoy, and you can enjoy mine. So you're on.

Of the few songs I've heard sampled on the Sunday Times CD-ROM, they all sounded good, but one in particular struck me straight off as a big 'YES!', so I look forward to hearing that. They all sounded very promising. Will you get to see him in Texas on this tour?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I will see him if possible.

I don't mind waiting until the 19th to write my thoughts. But I'll have to listen before that. I'm very excited about what I've heard so far.
--William Shakespeare
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Is Reality out Sept 15 everywhere, or at least in the US as well as here?
For some unknown reason our release dates are Tuesdays, so Reality is officially out 16 Sept., North the 23rd.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Release dates are Fridays in Ireland, so both should be out on the 12th.

So there!

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Bastard!