Goatees - are they cool?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Goatees - are they cool?

Post by Jackson Monk »

Hi Folks

Here I am back with my old handle... 8)

As I am prone to the odd change of identity, I have decided to change my image as I have become very dull of late.

On Tuesday, I attended a meeting and realised I was wearing a beige shirt (always a bad move) and a pair of strides that can best be described as 'Action Slacks'. My shoes were tired old relics from the back of the cupboard and although I have very little hair left, it was clear that even that could do with some work.

Anyway, having splashed out on some new threads and having had my bald patch re-sited, I have given thought to a goatee a la Otis.

Is this a mistake ?

Ps. When answering, please note that Mrs Monk (also chnaged her name) has offered more in the bedroom department if i grow one.
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I'm a big fan of facial hair, but have learned through experience that ladies prefer the Crow shaven...I compromise by sporting designer stubble - I say designer, more like high street fashion stubble.

Goatees and all beards are cool if you can grow a proper one, no bumfluff!!!!! My advice to those who can't grow a beard...grow sideburns, since losing my beard, I have found them a great comfort.

:D

Monk..if there's the chance of more loving..do anything your missus says!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Are you approaching 40 by any chance?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Indeed I am.....your point is taken :(

New sports car next.......... 8)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I've always referred to goatees as nut dusters to be quite honest with you. You're too cool to have a nut duster, man.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Ummmm..George Micheal.... :?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Elv-- eeeeeew. But happy belated birthday anyhow.

I think it depends completely on the particular face. From my brief views of you, I'd say go for it, it could look very yummy.

Signed,

Self-made, if unbearded, Mug
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Every few months, I get bored with my face and other things so I grow a goatee. It definitely looks better than a beard if you keep it trimmed. It's like the best of both worlds because your face is at least halfway shaved. Its also cheaper and more temporary than a tatoo.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Goatees never look cool. If you want to look younger then take my advice - drink less, go to bed earlier, and smile more. Add up all the time you'll save my not having to shave round the ridiculous thing, and spend the extra time shopping for some new clothes. I always find that Ted Baker is good for men of advancing years....
Where's North from 'ere?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Jackson I say go for it!! Speaking personally I love them all - moustaches, beard, goatees....but then my partner is so damn good looking and sexy he looks great with them all!! If you dont like it you can always shave it off!! As a spurs fan you will probably look good in anything too! :wink:

The forty thing is a funny age. When I reached mine my little potest was to have an extra set of ear rings put in and a tattoo......oh yeah and I also got myself an internet lover! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I don't think it's got anything whatsoever to do with looking younger. In fact, I don't like how it looks without a certain amount of gray in it, myself, and beards alays gray first. But it's more to do with balancing a face, and it looks nice at 40ish, I think. Icky on a 25-yr-old, imho.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I should stress that I'm still only 37.....not that I'm worried about it atall ... :cry:

Progress report: The Goatee is on its way. Three days old now and looking a little messy.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, I hardly meant 40-ish as a pejorative! But okay, I'm sure it'll look good at 37-ish.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Jackson.....I must say, as I rounded the 35 year mark, I changed my image. My hair was not the best...maybe like Bruce Willis in Moonlighting.. :lol: I shaved the whole enchilada and added a soul patch....I never thought of my hair again...
girl out of time

noppppe

Post by girl out of time »

Post subject: Goatees - are they cool?

NO.......they are not!!!! :shock:
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Depends on who's wearing them, GOOT!

I always thought I should try some facial hair, so didn't shave last summer holiday, and got such a rapturous response from everyone (especially my mostly female colleagues, well we all succumb to vanity, don't we?) that it's hear a year later. for me, it's the opposite of what Strom says. I can't grow a full beard, it's full enough in the moustache and chin region, but hopelessly patchy at the side, and a huge benefit for me in wearing a goat is that I only shave properly (i.e. with shaving cream) once a week, if that, other days I just drag my razor over my wet cheeks and c'est ça. The goat requires some maintenance, it's true, but in general the immense tedium of the morning routine of shave + contact lenses is now halved. So I grew this as I couldn't grow any sort of sideburn. Half a man? Maybe.

And I liked being told I looked like a courtier in an El Greco painting. I'll have to get a phot of it up there so you can let me know what you think. Very hard to decide whether it's going to stay or not. It will for now. There's plenty of grey in it (annoyingly asymmetrical), but at 39, so what?

Jackson: go for the goat. Try everything once, apart from folk dancing and incest. (A quote I heard on the radio today - Arnoldd Bax, apparently.)
girl out of time

gotees vs full grown beards

Post by girl out of time »

i don´t really like gotees......i prefer full grown beards in a man........
altough i like the way e.c. handles his beard......it must cause him endless
adjustments........a lot of trimming.......but hey!.... he does have to take care of his rock & roll image, right?
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

I say go for it...I'm unable to grow a full goatee (apparently puberty comes late in my family :D ) but I have a baby face so much prefer it with some facial hair (see below)...

Image[/img]
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I didn't know Nicholas Anelka was a friend of yours!
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

So being an American and knowing f-all about soccer had to look that one up...but damn you are right!!!!
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

As a wearer of a goatee, I have to say I think they're fabulous. I had a band in college, and our demo tape was called "Goatee." And, more importantly than anything anyone else has added:

If the Mrs. likes it, you should grow one. You'd be foolish to turn her away.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I consider a full goatee a little out of style...the Soul Patch is much more in style in Europe in any case....or the Flavor Saver as I prefer to call it......chicks dig it...I do it.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

taz wrote:I say go for it...I'm unable to grow a full goatee (apparently puberty comes late in my family :D ) but I have a baby face so much prefer it with some facial hair (see below)...
there ya go Taz! looks good. you look a lot like my husband.

(i apparently posted my goatee opinion on another thread. i didn't see this one til after i posted the other.) [see dodgy lyrics]
I'm not angry anymore....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Miller Lite!?!?!??! Eww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Have to say...like the sideburns Taz.

I love my sideburns. They'll never take them away from me. Ever. EVER!
:twisted: :lol: