What album is totally rocking your world right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Listened to the new SACD version of Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy this evening. Absolutely incredible sound, truly worth all the fuss. I'm off to get a few more of these re-issues tomorrow.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

as i said on another thread frank black's show me your tears is completley rocking my world along with the trust reissue and a buzzcocks greatest hits album i picked up at a used cd store.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Yup, Decoration Day is my favorite album of this year as it stands right now. Anyone here who is inclined to take my recommendations seriously is advised to pick this one up.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

martinfoyle wrote:Listened to the new SACD version of Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy this evening. Absolutely incredible sound, truly worth all the fuss. I'm off to get a few more of these re-issues tomorrow.
I just picked up Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited. I only have a regular CD player so can't take advantage of the SACD layer (or the 5.1 mix on Blood On The Tracks), but can tell even on my lower-end equipment that the sound is a vast improvement over the older CD's. I'm anxious to get more of them, and an SACD player :)
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

I just borrowed Lucinda Williams' "Essence" from my sister in law. It's heartbreakingly beautiful. I've been listening to it in my car for the past two weeks.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Essence is a wonderful record. I Envy The Wind is one of the most remarkable lyrics I have ever heard and the title track is another all time favorite of mine.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I wanna hear her stuff, is Essence a good one to start with?

My world is inevitably being rocked by Reality, of which more soon, and the other CDs I've got recently: Lloyd Cole's Music in a Foreign Language, which is very non-immediate in its low-keyness, and isn't going to do anything to alter his position in the margins, but, inevitably, contains many lovely songs with great words, especially the wonderful My Other Life; Radiohead's Hail To The Thief, good, but still with that school report sense of 'could do better'; and Damien Rice's O, as mentioned elsewhere, a talented fella.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Otis, I would recommend starting with her 1998 album, Car Wheels On A Gravel Road. If you like that one (and I'm pretty sure you will) then I would go from there to Essence, World Without Tears and her self-titled album from 1989. Sweet Old World is good but not as great as her best stuff while Happy Woman Blues and Ramblin' are both early albums where she was finding her voice. Having said that, there are no bad Lucinda albums and I think you'll like her music a lot.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Ta! Am taking note.